Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century Camden 1780 AAR, Loose Files & American Scramble

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    vtsaogames
    Participant

Had a game with a result like the actual battle. Details vcan be found  here.

This too shall pass

Norm S
    Participant

Superb account, the adding of text to the photographs is a great help.

vtsaogames
    Participant

Thank you, Norm. I use Microsoft Paint to add text. The main thing is to check spelling before saving… It also can add arrows and such. They only point left/right or up/down, no other angles. One day I’ll venture into Paint 3D and see if it helps at all.

Edit: Just poked around MS Paint 3D. So far it can add the text pretty much as before and it can rotate shapes, so arrows can point in other directions that left/right up/down. Hmm, interesting.

This too shall pass

kyoteblue
    Participant

Thank you for the AAR.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Enjoyed that, thanks, Vincent!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

BBBBlog

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Great report Vincent. Hats off for adding text etc, which I know takes quite a lot of effort.

jeffers
    Participant

Great write up on my ‘go to‘ rules set for the AWI.

Not sure about the -1 per DP from the movement dice. This is not in the original magazine article, but it does rather make sense so I may adopt it! You do suffer DPs for rolling 1s and 2s, though.

I never liked the command rules and after trialling other methods had the officers adopt a ‘stance’. For ex, Aggressive meant you would be at the front waving your sword and adding to the combat scores but couldn’t rally DPs or routers. Defensive meant the opposite. And so on… At the moment I am toying with the idea of using the same card system I use for my ACW games. I’m such a little tinkerer!

Meanwhile, I have my hands full finishing off painting the 17th regiment of foot…

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

OB
    Participant

Interesting and nicely presented, thank you.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

vtsaogames
    Participant

Jeffers, you are absolutely right about there being NO -1 per die roll per DP. One of my problems with these rules is my “importing” concepts from other rules, likely Sharp Practice in this case. So I didn’t err, for once.

I like your aggressive/defensive notion, will think about it. I am considering Cowpens or Eutaw Springs for my next set-to, depending on what I can scrape up in the way of a decent OB.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read it.

This too shall pass

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Jeffers – Very interesting rules amendments, which I have noted (although see below about my own rules choice).

vtsao – I notice that this is the second Camden re-fight you have performed this month.  What key differences (if any) did you notice from using the two different rule sets?*

[* I use British Grenadier which is derived from Loose Files etc but incorporates certain extra rules (much like the ones set out by Jeffers). ]

jeffers
    Participant

Forgot I dumped all my rules on my old wiki! The 6mm version of Loose Files was used in my campaign (the ‘solo-ish’ campaign rules are on my blog) but I haven’t used the 25mm set in action yet. Before I use the larger figures I intend to go back to first principals with Loose Files to ensure I haven’t tinkered them into oblivion. But here are the command rules which worked:

http://jefslittlewinki.pbworks.com/w/page/67177326/AWI

vtsaogames
    Participant

Brendan, Loose Files was a better fit for the AWI. The historical deployment produced a near historical result, while the British had a harder time using Rank & File. I also found Loose Files easier, though familiarity from playing it a lot 15+ years ago might have been the difference there.

It was long ago enough that I felt almost like they were new rules. Plus I think various parts of Sharp Practice had crept into our play back then. I do have a number of singly based figures to be NCOs and officers for those rules.

I will be checking your command rules, Jeffers. Thanks.

Edit: Like your command rules, will likely use something similar. Like the general > brigadier > colonel path.

Think I’ll make generals affect 3 units, brigadiers 2, colonels 1.

This too shall pass

jeffers
    Participant

Glad I could be of help, Vincent! For the record, I will steal your movement modifier… 😎

willz
    Participant

That’s was a dam good read and an excellent AAR.

vtsaogames
    Participant

Glad I could be of help, Vincent! For the record, I will steal your movement modifier… 😎

My movement modifier that’s wrong? I dunno, it’s another thing to remember in mid-battle. Let me know how it turns out. Units with 3 or more DPs will hardly move at all.

This too shall pass

jeffers
    Participant

I did another tinker with movement… I use a base movement rate (6” for 25s) plus a voluntary dice roll. So you can move slowly and deliberately or speed up and risk losing control, the catch being if you use the dice bonus you must move the full distance. This could result in collisions etc. and general ragged mayhem. How I do it introducing -1 per DP will slow down, but not entirely stop, a unit.

The 17th are currently stalled on the painting desk. 🙄

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.