Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Camo problems

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    stephen crawfordstephen crawford
    Participant

Howdy,

wondering if anyone else has had this problem before……

painting some 10mm scifi tanks with cool lines….decided to do an urban camo scheme…used grey white and black.

I think I did a good job, satisfied….but now I can’t even seem to visually identify the tank. It no longer looks cool, it just sort of looks like a well camouflaged blob,that may or may not have a gun…could be a postal van….

i guess that’s the problem….I like camo but it seems to look better on larger scales….on a 10 mm tank ,it is effective as camo but not aesthetically pleasing…….any way to still have camo on a smaller scale…..maybe try more subdued…less busy scheme

thanks for any input

steve

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Hard to say what would help without seeing it really…

Participant

Not able to now….just wondered if it is better to eschew camo on 10 and 6mm vehicles as you seem to lose recognition of the figure

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I don’t know then really.

I painted a lot of GHQ WWII vehicles in camo a while back and really liked that they were less definable.

For the few sci-fi I did in camo they were fine.
    They were harder to see than the non camouflaged versions, but still recognisable as the vehicles I knew them to be.

I must confess I am struggling to understand how you can’t tell what it is.
    Do you have lots of similar vehicles with subtle differences and the camo is making it hard to tell which variant is which?

If it is a variant thing what about pennants or stowage to help identify models?
    Or identity markings?

These for example are not camo but they are all the same colour, so to tell them apart they have numbers on them and a colour coded hatch.

willzwillz
    Participant

My rule for painting small stuff is the smaller the item, the lighter and the brighter the colour needs to be used .

Participant

http://crowmag99-the15mm.blogspot.com
    Having issues trying to remember how to post images…
    But in the link is the tank in question

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I think with some shading and highlighting will make a world of difference to it.

Quaker

You are just too good at painting dazzle camo stephen 😛

As others have said the way to fix this is to ink/wash panel lines and recesses and to use extreme highlights on edges and raised surfaces. Also in future change out the black lines for darkish gray lines.

MrHaroldMrHarold
    Participant

My suggestion would be to do hard highlights over the camo. That way you can see the lines of the design, with the style of the camo.  Otherwise it’s going to do what camo is designed to… hide it and break up the outline 😉

ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi
    http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

Oh no....Oh no….
    Participant

Your camo works very well………..

I’d suggest dry brushing, almost dusting….., with a lighter colour maybe an off white with a soft brush. Very light coats, trial and error until you see how much you need. That should bring out the detail and make it recognisable again.

willzwillz
    Participant

Stephen that tanks looks fine to me, if you are worried about loss of detail as “Oh no” says try light dry brushing and if you want less black / grey you could paint or wash the tracks with rust colour to contrast the camo.

Just noticed the back ground on your blog, why not use that style as urban camo just add a few light squares.  Urban camo as the name implies is for use in cities and towns, the square style would suit the vehicles you use.  Just a thought.

piers brandpiers brand
    Participant

Yup… Black oil wash would make all the difference.

PaulPaul
    Participant

This discussion reminds me of something I read once. I think it was Chris Peers and it was about his Death in the Dark Continent rules and the Ila tribe; he said that it would probably be more accurate to have Ila bases as clumps of grass with maybe a musket or spear poking out than actually using figures.
    That’s my long-winded way of saying that what looks realistic is not always aesthetically pleasing.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

Good suggestions,all….wash and a highlite,then…..I do think the smaller the scale, the more subtle the camo

BarksBarks
    Participant

Good suggestions,all….wash and a highlite,then…..I do think the smaller the scale, the more subtle the camo

Subtle camouflage tends to turn into a muddy indistinguishable blur…

I agree with the consensus- dark wash, pale drybrush. Do some test runs on some of the very cool and cheap diecast cars as well.

David BardyDavid Bardy
    Participant

It is a damn good camo job, took me a while to recognise the tank, and I have four of them myself!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.