Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Card Terrain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I followed Coyotepuncs threads which lead me to cardboard warriors and several days later……………lots and lots of card terrain.

The guys on there can make some wonderfull stuff but I will never really go past the novice stage but it is fun all the same.

Otto Schmidt
    Participant

Neat stuff

Let us know how it works out in battle.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’ve got loads of the stuff, works great!  Bought form World Works, Ebbles/Gennet, Fat Dragon, and many many others. 28mm, 15mm, 6mm… good stuff.  Inexpensive (mostly) and just a little work.  If you don’t have any, I recommend some good markers for coloring the edges, makes things even prettier.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

I am also 100% pro cardstock. Cheap and easy replacement. Works particularly well at 3mm scale to build big, sprawling cityscapes, if you have sharp tools and a good eye. They fall apart after about a year or two of hard gaming but for the price you can’t beat it.

Thanks.

I have some pre-printed  kits I purchased yonks ago but i am following some advice to practice on free ones first and buy do I need practice.  Most of my gaming is at home solo so they are very handy, lightweight and also replaceable.

Ruarigh
    Participant

Card terrain is great. I’ve used it a lot in the past, although most of mine is in a bad state of repair now due to being stored in the attic. This was one of my favourite pieces that I made although it took forever to do:

There’s a bunch more of my card terrain on my blog:

http://talomir.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/winter-988-chaaaarrrrggggeeee.html

I’ve also used card terrain for our sci-fi games but don’t seem to have any pics of that.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://envirocitizen.eu
    https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

cmnash
    Participant

I’ve made a bunch of paper kit buildings, but found that ‘card’ was too flimsy & in the rare cases it wasn’t made walls look too thin (I like to get to the interior of buidling)

I tried 2mm mounting board – really thick cardboard – but settled on foamcore; using 5mm foamcore the walls look right (to me anyway)

Stoelzel’s Structures kits on Wargame Vault are all designed to use foamcore and have detailed interiors – they’re really great kits, and I’d recommend them. If you sign up for the Wargames Vault daily offer email, there’s normally one on offer every month or so.

Anyway, good luck with your cardboard architecture

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ya, Cmnash has it right!  If you can put it on a backer they last a lot longer.

Your efforts look quite good PLS, no slouch at all!

Another great thing about cardstock is that you can print the same thing out a couple of times for pennies, then layer bits to give depth, like window and door frames or ledges, even whole walls with holes cut out for recessed windows.  Can really help make buildings look less flat.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

craig cartmell
    Participant

Dave Graffam is the king of card!  I have enough kits from him to build entire towns!

Cheers,
    Craig

The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare

I used coffee stirrers as structural support and they work quite well for the card I use.

I scale all of my stuff to 1/72 scale.  So those big “flimsy” 28mm models hold up quite well.  I am quite happy to use card models for a variety of games.  Cheap, easy to build.

Free Keep By Tosach Models.  Scaled to 1/72 scale.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

cmnash
    Participant

Resizing card terrain is a great way to go; for instance, using the Dropzone Commander free terrain for 10mm, I’ve made this 6mm city:

I’ve circled at the front a 6mm element & 28mm mini to show the size.  I printed the A3 buildings on A4 paper to resize them and (IIRC) the A4 buildings as 2 to a page

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by cmnash.

cmnash
    Participant

Dave Graffam is the king of card! I have enough kits from him to build entire towns!

They are some wonderful models … the only thing is that he doesn’t supply interior details. I’ve got around this by un-checking all the exterior detail layers and then printing the off-white layer that remains which normally has some nice moss detail.  Here’s what it looks like using the DG Coach house model:

The floors are from the DG Low Ruins model – a great model that I have built many variations of

Volunteer
    Participant

May I suggest a membership on http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ would open up a whole new world of card terrain wonders.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Volunteer.

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Paper Modelers is a fine place to be, especially if you are a novice and have questions.  I will happily second that suggestion!

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.