Home Forums Ancients Carthaginians on the march…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Much inspired by JJ’s work (aka Carojon)–particularly his Dacians–I broke out some unpainted Carthaginian figures I’ve been hauling around for at least 10 years. I’m currently aiming to create a couple of Basic Impetus armies starting with Carthaginian and Polybian Roman. Since I’ve had some Numidian light horse and a largish collection of Gauls based for DBA/M around for an equally long time, I plan on rebasing them to increase the numbers for either side. Here are my first completed units for the Punic side. I’ve got several elephants and Carthaginian horse on the painting table and some Romans that I can rebase, too. These are mostly the old Navigator figures (now Magister Militum, I believe). The Numidian horse are Warlord sculpts and the Gauls are Old Glory.

First, the completed units in formation:

Next the Punic spearmen:

Carthaginians always seem to have veterans in (mostly) Roman kit:

Next, some Citizen soldiers:

And the Numidian horse (I’ve actually completed 5 stands of these):

Naturally, there are some Iberians along for the adventure:

And the Gallic contingent:

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

Two weeks later and I have completed some elephants….

First, a Miniature Figurines model which I bought in 1980. I had a part-time job in a hobby shop in California and brought most of my paycheck home in the form of lead. I thought about replacing the crew figures with more modern, better sculpted figures but my collector’s completest instinct kicked in and I couldn’t bear to chuck the original crew in the bin.

Next, an elephant bought with the rest of the Navigator Carthaginians, circa 2010. I really like this model and I think it represents the North African bush elephant more accruately than most other elephant figures.

Finally, a mystery nellie. I have no idea who manufactured the elephant or when I acquired it. I purchased some Relic crew figures but decided they were too large–that and I destroyed the Relic mahout in trying to get him to sit realistically on the figure. So, I scrounged through my old figures and found some Ral Partha figures that complemented the elephant.

And finally a view of the mystery nellie in its natural state. The howdah was scratch built out of chip board, the saddle blanket–or whatever its called on an elephant–is made from layers of foil from a wine bottle. The leather straps holding the howdah in place are actually rubber bands. All in all, I’m pleased with the way this turned out.

I’ve got another 6 elephants in the bit box. They’ll have to wait for another day. Now it’s on to Carthaginian cavalry.

Participant

Do I remember you asking about the provenance of this beastie somewhere? Or am I not simply forgetting things now, but creating false memories to compensate?

Whatever the truth about my brain, the elephant turned out very well. Nice to see wine bottle foil technology still working. The old heavy lead version made great flags.

1980 eh? I like ’em. Zoom out a little to normal table viewing distance and all that fussy modern sculpt detail would disappear anyway!

Keymaster

Elephants are cool. I have one I need to paint up.

Participant

You remember correctly, Guy. I think it was NCS who suggested it might be a Ral Partha figure. I think it’s a reasonable guess but I’ve not been able to confirm it.

Yeah, Mike, elephants ARE cool. Especially in glorious 25mm!

Participant

These six cavalry figures finish off the Navigator Carthaginian DBA army I bought so many years ago. I’m now planning on using them for Impetus. I’m short a few stands of Numidian light infantry as well as some Balearic slingers for a Basic Impetus army. However, since I tend to wander away from projects I told myself that ONLY if I get all the already purchased figures painted would I purchase the rest of the figures to complete the project. Success! Credit card in hand. Meanwhile, I’ve got some Gauls and Romans to re-base.

Please excuse the poor quality photos.

Participant

Impetus doesn’t really need command figures but I really enjoy painting them. So, I’ve added a couple of Hannibals to my growing Carthaginian army as I await the rest of the troops to show up. Though, I must admit I’m wondering if the ordered figures will ever arrive–I’m now into week 5 of waiting. “Out of stock, don’t know when they’ll be in.” I suspect it would have been quicker to order them from Victrix direct in Great Britain.

Anyway… These are Relic figures and I really, really like them. The mounted and standing Hannibal figures were a bit dear in price, but I’m glad I got them. The standard bearer is an old Ral Partha figure which I painted years ago. I’m fairly certain I couldn’t paint that shield these days! The standard itself is just bits of plastic stuck together and some dental floss for the streamers.

I must admit I’m a bit disappointed in the photos. They don’t do the figures justice. Seems like my phone has a tough time focusing these days and depth of field is very, very short. Shorter than I remember. Oh, well. I’ll fight that battle later.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.