Home Forums WWII Chain of Command 2 on 1 game

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    whitphoto
    Participant

Hello folks. I played a Chain of Command game a couple of weeks ago pitting one American infantry platoon against two defending German platoons in France. I wrote up a little review on my blog.

Chain of Command 2v1

Iain FullerIain Fuller
    Participant

We’ve had a few cracking ‘Big CoC’ games over the past year but always have the side with the larger number of players as the attacker as it seems like a ‘fairer’ option. Was there a reason why the US player was given such a tough task? Were the German platoons understrength?

Not wanting to sound arsey, just intrigued as I’m running a CoC campaign soon and this might be a good idea for a scenario, but will expect the outnumbered attacker to feel like they won’t have a chance from the off – was that the same in your game?

whitphoto
    Participant

No understrengthed platoons. Honestly It was almost random. We had decided on CoC the day before and I though more people were showing up. One player had Americans, the other Germans and I figured I’d play my Germans too. The Americans attacking was based almost entirely on the fact that they would get more reinforcement points for toys as the attacker than as the defender. I’m not entirely sure if two attacking Germans with 8 points of extras against a single defending American with only 4 points would have been any better. My opinion is that to even it out the Americans should have been an elite force, which would have given them more activations and more importantly more extra phases. As it was twice I had two extra phases, which we have house ruled is the limit. Once I could have had a third extra phase! If we do another 2v1 I will either make the single platoon elite or maybe make one of the other platoons green and add another reinforcement die to the single player.

Iain FullerIain Fuller
    Participant

Cheers Whit.

Thinking about it the few times that we have done a 2 vs 1 game, the person on the defence and running the single platoon usually is the more experienced player or is defending a BUA so combined with the extra CoC dice has managed to balance things out somewhat.

whitphoto
    Participant

I have some more experience than the other two players, but they don’t have platoons from the same nation unfortunately. Of course I could just lend one out. We have a game scheduled for two weeks from now, and I think the solution we’ll try is to have the American defend with an armored rifle platoon. That gives him a mortar and two machine guns (with a junior leader, activating BOTH on a 3!) far more economically than if he had to buy them with reinforcement points. I’ll add some more hard cover to the approach and I think that will even things out more. I like the fact that the game isn’t made to be strictly balanced, but you don’t want one player to feel like he didn’t need to even show up…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.