Home Forums Modern Chechen War project

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Catullus
    Participant

After some time away from it, I’ve restarted my Chechen War project. First up, a Russian T-72BM captured and reused by the Chechens.

I used Zvezda’s ‘Hot War’ T-72, with some parts taken from Battlefront’s ‘Team Yankee’ T-72.

As usual, I got a bit carried away with the conversion and remodelled the turret:

I tried out a few new things like assembling a flag and making mud with bicarbonate of soda:

Here is the finished miniature:

You can see the full walk through on my blog. Next up, three Chechen ‘White Raven’ tanks. Don’t hold your breath…

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Catullus.
    kyoteblue
    Participant

That’s impressive work !

irishserb
    Participant

Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing your work.

Catullus
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll be adding more more miniatures to this thread as I complete them so keep coming back…

Catullus
    Participant

Here we go again. I’ve finished three more Chechen tanks to make a platoon of four. Not so much work required this time, except for putting the machine guns in the correct position:

There is a walkthrough of the painting process on my blog here, and squillions of pictures of the finished tanks here.

Next on the painting table is a platoon of Russian T-72BMs with scratchbuilt cage armour:

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Catullus.
    Mike
    Keymaster

Do like. Thanks for posting.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Those all look very good! The cage armor is excellent.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Catullus
    Participant

It took a while to find time to work on them, but here are the finished T-72BMs at last:

hot tank action

Mind your head!

Zvezda’s 1/100 ‘Hot War’ tanks are lovely but they’re basically just giant game counters so they have no machine guns. In a moment of madness I made a bunch of them. The cage armour is made with ‘N’ scale fencing from Ratio. If you want more info, there are various posts about assembling and painting the tanks here, here and here, and photos of each of the four finished tanks here.

Next on the list is basing two MTLBs that have been pretty much finished for a while, then I think I’ve run out of excuses to avoid tacking the infantry…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Catullus.
    NKL Aerotom
    Participant

Very nice work, love the customization, always cool to see modern vehicles in 1/72. Time for some infantry?

Which rule set do you plan to use for your Chechenya games?

Catullus
    Participant

Thanks, Tom – but they’re actually 1/100 (15mm)! I’m using a homebrew version of Crossfire for the games.

I have enough painted miniatures now for a few tank engagements. I’ll probably be returning to scenery before I start any infantry – Crossfire needs a lot of scenery! – because I have a few in-progress terrain pieces that I’m determined to finish before I start anything new.

Catullus
    Participant

I’ve rediscovered my password for my old Flickr account, so I’ve moved a walkthrough of how I created my first building to my blog. I made it back in 2011 so apologies in advance for the poor quality photos.

http://nerdlard.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/chechen-house-1.html

The next thing on my list is a pair of MT-LBs towing mortars. The PVA glue has dried white for some reason so I have to strip the bases. Bah!

Catullus
    Participant

Here are a couple of Old Glory MT-LBs for my Russians, towing 120mm mortars. The PVA glue dried white for some reason so I had to strip the bases and re-do them. I hate doing things twice so it took me over a month to get round to buying some new glue and re-flocking the bases. Anyhoo, here are the finished miniatures:

As usual, there are more pictures on my blog: http://nerdlard.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/two-mtlbs-and-towed-120mm-mortars.html

When things go wrong it blunts my enthusiasm for a project so I have a small terrain piece to finish first, then I’m going to switch to another project for a while.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Coming along nicely, me thinks!

Is this going to be a mostly urban game, or rural?  Combo?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Catullus
    Participant

Thanks!

I’ve been trying to keep the bases generic but these two MT-LBs ended up quite rural because I just wanted them over and done with, so some parts of the base got flocked twice.

I’ll be doing both types of scenario eventually. For my urban games I have a load of model railway and homemade buildings in various state of unreadiness but my countryside terrain is nearly ready to go. The plan is to play a few rural games while I keep making buildings then gradually urbanise the tabletop…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.