Home Forums WWI Chinese Civil War… 15mm

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wasn’t quite sure where to put this, but as it runs kinda concurrent with WW1 right through to WW2, this seemed a good place to start.

Some of you may remember that we used to cast Steve Coopers old CCW range. I was never really happy with the figures, but we weren’t buying them in and at the time it was the only range out there…. and they did sell rather well (I think because they were the only range out there, rather than the quality of the figures themselves!)

Then we parted company and Steve took the range with him. As far as I know it has never gone into production.

And ever since they I have toyed with the idea of replacing them with a range of our own, so since I have the postwar British in helmets done, and the postwar Canadians are well under way, and the generic range in Fritz helmets with AKs are done, (along with the guard dogs, and the modern US with shotguns, and the modern US with M4… left handed, and one or two other little odds and sods that use up the leftover bits of green…

So I am on to the next project(s).

Chas normally gives me one big project to work on – which may be WW2 Russian, but not quite decided, so I tend to put a second infantry project on the side of it, partly to use up the spare green and partly as I find it restful to have two projects to move between – stops you getting bored.

So…. I’m thinking of the Chinese Civil War, or perhaps more accuratelythe Warlord period leading to the CCW.

Now I seem to have pretty much the same reference material as just about everyone else, but I’m just trying to organise it into viable packs, so this is your opportunity for input 🙂

Roughly I have

> (1) Rifles (Mauser copies, with/without bayonet)

> (2) LMG (seem to vary between Japanese and Dutch types, all similar in look though)

> (3) Command with standard bearers and buglers

> (4) Possibly long spears

> (5) Cavalry

> (6) Assault troops (Dare to die) with a combination of big swords and Mauser pistols

> (7) Mortar with crews

> (8) Artillery crews

> (9) HMG with crews

For uniform types I seem to have:

> (a) Jacket with baggy trousers, puttees and Mao-style caps or

> (b) As above with ‘Tin Hats’ or

> (c) As above with fur hats

> (d) Uniform with long trousers, peaked hat (regulars)

I’m open to suggestions, but if I do the top list in the uniform options as per the bottom list that makes 36 different packs and (I think) allows people to mix and match as they like to make up just about any of the warlord cliques that they fancy.

Then I may look at adding regular Chinese and/or Japanese for the later period.

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Participant

I think it would be great!!! But also make Japanese!!! Oh and Chinese in German helmets.

Participant

Japanese and German helemts would be for the later period. I’m going to start with the earlier Warlord era.

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Well that would be cool as well.

Participant

Hmm…. not exactly the popular response I expected 🙂

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Maybe you should have billed it as Back of beyond……

Participant

Great idea Geoff! I’d be up for a lot of this. Some poorly armed ‘civilian’ troops could be good for this too. Character packs for the various warlords and mercenaries (eg One Arm Sutton) mightn’t go astray either.

And perhaps I can finally recruit the 1st US Navy Mongolian Cavalry Regiment

Participant

That is an idea lots of Mongols on horses with bolt action rifles.

Participant

Great idea Geoff! I’d be up for a lot of this. Some poorly armed ‘civilian’ troops could be good for this too.

Just done a civilian with a long spear – will do some photos later.

Character packs for the various warlords and mercenaries (eg One Arm Sutton) mightn’t go astray either.

Done a couple, straight out the Osprey books. Will fill them out with personalities and general staff.

And perhaps I can finally recruit the 1st US Navy Mongolian Cavalry Regiment

Interesting… any links/photos?

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Like these guys?

Mongolian cavalry

QRF Models Limited

Participant

> Great idea Geoff! I’d be up for a lot of this. Some poorly armed ‘civilian’ troops could be good for this too.

> Just done a civilian with a long spear – will do some photos later.

Spears and swords, or pitchforks and clubs?

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Looking forward to seeing these figures. Gives me a reason to keep my early war Japanese that I was thinking of selling.

Participant

Sounds like some of Irregular’s offerings:  http://irregularminiatures.co.uk/products.php?cat=15mm&sub=Chinese%20Warlord%20Troops%20%281911-31%29&pid=13&subid=232  http://irregularminiatures.co.uk/products.php?cat=15mm&sub=Chinese&pid=13&subid=233#prettyPhoto

Warlords turn my head every once in a while, and faintly call to me, but I doubt they will ever make it to my modest lead pile much less my bench.  They are a very niche interest.  I am much more interested in some general style types that would work for the Long March, WWII, the 1945-1949 Civil War, and some of the poorly equipped infantry in the early Korean War.  More scout cavalry selection would also be welcome.  That would augment your Korean War lines, some of which I am working on right now.  Human waves can always use more variety.

Perhaps make bodies and choice of heads?  Fiddly in 15mm, but would offer a lot of flexibility.

Participant

I would add – Japanese kit and helmets on clearly Chinese infantry would be very welcome too.

Participant

Somewhat inspired and motivated on this again by several emails recently that are asking if we are doing the range again.

Having done a little deeper research, I am on it, but we are definitely looking at the 1911-1928 Warlord Era, from just after the uprisings through to the end of the Northern Expedition, so you can expect men with rifles in peaked caps, men with very big swords, and the occasional very strange vehicle:

(Note the straps hanging down on the side… that was to strap his bodyguards on with!)

I am having some trouble confirming that they used LMGs in this period. Machine guns were well loved, but very expensive ($450 for an MG, $17 for a rifle… so I can equip 26 men for one MG….) and all the reference I have found to Czech or French LMGs seem to relate to post 1928. Machine guns, on the other hand, which expensive, were also prestige! I have seen evidence of Vickers (not many, too expensive), Maxim (loads!), Brownings, Hotchkiss… to name just a few. It is reported that warlords bought a different type with every shipment. Although there were only just over 1000 in the whole of China, just imagine trying to keep that lot supplied?!

And I have a nice little list of personalities to add. Yes, Frank ‘One Arm’ Sutton (lost it to a grenade in Gallipoli) and Morris ‘Two Gun’ Cohen as mercenaries, and a whole potential range of Chinese generals including the 6′ tall Zhang Zongchang (known as 72 cannon Zhang, or the Dogmeat General for his love of a particular gambling game, played with dominos. He was also called the Three Dont Knows, because he didn’t know how much money he had, how many concubines or how many men!) but also such fascinating names as The Christian General, The Old Marshall, The Jade Marshall and the Mukden Tiger.

I may just go far enough to enable you to do the Nationalist (KMT)/Communist (CCP) Chinese Civil War later… along with a Chang Kai-Shek and Mao Zedong. 😉

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Just catching up. Sounds good Geoff!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.