Home Forums Renaissance Civil War – places to visit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As summer is fast approaching (judging by the fact it hasn’t rained here for a few days, this week might well be considered to be summer) my thoughts are considering where to drag the young gentlemen to, whilst they are on holiday. So, can anyone recommend places with a link to the Civil Wars that have something to see?

Places we have visited, and my brief thoughts, below.

Royal Armouries, Leeds. Top day out, large section on the ECW.

Marston Moor, not a great deal to see. Worth a detour on the way home from York. Monument, small display board.

Naseby. Well preserved battlefield. Lots of points of interest to visit with information boards. Print the map out before you go, as data coverage is sporadic. Small museum.

National Civil War Centre. Worth a visit if you are passing, but not worth a long journey. Civil war trail in Newark, with enhanced information from an app. Combine with a trip to the Queen’s Sconce

Nantwich. Worth a visit in February for the recreation of the battle.

Anywhere else worth a visit?

Participant

Not forgetting the Tower of London. In the general class of ‘grand days out’, with lots of arms and armour.

National Army Museum. Recently reopened, has an original standard, some arms and armour. Possibly of more interest to Napoleonic buffs. Worth a visit. Visit the café on a Saturday and be instantly transported into the ‘overhead at Waitrose’ meme… “Olivia darling you can have the couscous, it’s organic”

Participant

Worcester – part of the battlefield still agricultural land – plus a view from the Cathedral and you can visit the Commandery (building used by the Crown at the time, full of ECW stuff) which used to be good then went a bit blah  but is being redone with the Civil War more in mind again.
    Battelfield trust notes
    Battlefield Trust
    and the Commandery
    Commandery

Lansdown Hill 1643

Battlefield has changed a bit but the site is accurately known and you can follow the course of the battle pretty much – there is even a wall pretty much in the same place where Waller took refuge as night fell on the plateau. There is an early memorial,c1720 marking the death of Sir Bevill Grenville (Cornish Royalist Commander) in the battle.  Bath is nearby so you can do ordinary touristy things on the day as well.

Lansdown

Participant

Hmmm, was going to suggest Anietam, but I suspect that I might be off target a bit.

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks, had seen mention of the Commandery somewhere. A quick Google shows they are renovating it, reopening displays in the summer. Any Worcester residents on here? And know when the reopening is? (Website doesn’t give it away)</p>

Participant

Visited the Commandery today. Beautiful building. Couple of cases to look at (ECW related and a couple of pieces of artillery). Lots of builders and painters and empty space.

The ‘revamp’ should be completed end of July. So unless visiting for an event I’d give it a miss until then.

Participant

Thankfully no one else has added a place to visit, costs me a small fortune when I get home. Yesterday’s visit resulted in (inspired?) 7 books ordered, and the pair of Peter Pig buildings. Good job most of the displays were in storage, as I hate to think what effect that would have had on my shopping habits

Participant

Is Edgehill completely developed to the point where it is really not possible to follow the battle?

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Not so much developed, rather not accessible. The heart of the battlefield is out of bounds due to an MoD site. Rights of way have been closed since the 1940’s. Access is pretty much the boundary of the battlefield. There is a small museum, and a few memorials (according to the Battlefields Trust)

Participant

Glad you found the Commandery interesting despite the works going on – sorry it was still in such a state.

My mother worked at Kineton in the ATS during WWII and told me lots of the stories about the area – mostly very mixed up tales – probably mostly from nineteenth century antiquarian types digging around. The locals and quite a few of the Army used to swear they could hear sounds of ghostly combat some nights – but mostly after a good night out in the pubs around Kineton, Fenny Compton and Warmington.

They turned up some roundshot and musket balls I believe when they were doing some of the excavations for the huge turf barriers in the camp (it was an ammunition stores) but unfortunately I don’t think she was that interested, so couldn’t tell me much more about them

Participant

No need to apologise Guy. It was a shame that their website wasn’t a little more honest about what was on view / state of renovations and revamp. They are also being very cagey about when it will be reopened in its latest incarnation.

The ghosts of Edgehill are officially recognised by the Public Records Office. Their appearance started in 1642, so vivid were the tales that Charles ordered a Royal Commission to investigate.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.