Home Forums General General Clear plastic flight stands?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I might have asked this before in the forums of other websites, but I keep feeling like I’ve yet to find something that’s perfect for me, so here I go prevailing upon the community again.

What I’m looking for is multiple kinds of clear flight stands:

First, ones of “standard robustness” for medium-sized figures/models, such as human-sized 28mm figures in flying poses, most 15mm grav vehicles, 6mm aircraft and large grav-tanks, and most of my Aeronefs. I don’t want the classic ones with the “hex dome”-shaped feet, however. It’s mainly the dome shape that puts me off.

Second, a few extra robust/stable ones for larger models such as 28mm grav vehicles. At least, the feet should be extra wide. The thickness of the stems I’m not sure about.

Third, extra slim-stemmed ones for small lightweight things like hoverdrones and small flying creatures. This third request is probably the most tricky one, but also the most pressing one as I have a lot of small figures/models that would (IMO) be rather ruined by the usual medium-sized flight stands I’ve seen on the market. I reckon that as small-scale gamers have a relatively big presence here on TWW, this is a good place to ask about small-scale flight stands.

Round (as opposed to hex or square) footprints are preferable, but not necessary.

UK/Europe suppliers would be preferable for convenience and shipping cost, but I won’t treat North American suppliers as off-limits.

Participant

Both US based, but Litko for one and Corsec for another make great flight stands. I prefer Corsec given a choice since they break down for transport.

Participant

I make my own, clear rod on e-bay 2mm to 25mm dia, cheap.

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Litko is the company that keeps coming up when I ask this question. I only wish they had stems thinner than the usual 3mm. For a lot of my smaller miniatures (drones, etc), that’s too thick. I can’t easily drill 3mm wide holes in their undersides without ruining their appearance. These are also lightweight miniatures, so they don’t require the robustness of a 3mm stem.

Corsec doesn’t seem to have clear plastic flight stands, as far as I can tell.

I might look into buying my own clear rod for the smaller miniatures (I’d love to find some as thin as 1mm, or at least 1.5mm) but I also want the feet to be clear plastic, so that’s a complication.

It’s weird to me that no-one else seems to be having this problem.

So I found some dirt-cheap 1mm and 2mm clear plastic rods on ebay. Now I just have to wait for them to arrive from China. I’m hoping the 1mm rods won’t be prone to snapping very easily.

I’ll have to order clear plastic bases separately from Litko (assuming there’s no UK/Europe manufacturer that makes a similar product) and carefully drill the right size of holes in them myself. I hope acrylic drills easily.

Participant

Acrylic is hard, a new drill and some experimenting with speeds (if you are lucky and have one of those) definitely a pin prick to get the drill centred.

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.