Home Forums WWII CoC Normandy AAR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Some solo dabbling in the basement with 15mm toys: A platoon action in early July ’44 as the Americans try to make progress through the bocage north of St.Lo to gain a good jump-off point for Cobra.  The battlefield is a farm on a hill:

Both sides were played using off-the-cuff AI, which means there were a lot of mistakes made that were almost as bad as ones I would have made myself.

link:  https://brawlfactory.net/2020/06/29/7-july-44/

Participant

Looks great!  What scale are you playing in?

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Participant

15mm figs.  An advantage to matching the figure and game scale (or coming close – CoC ground scale is 1:120) is the ‘what you see is what you get’ factor that reduces the translation required of players from the tabletop view to the reality being represented, which (imo) is a problem when using minis (and associated terrain) that are twice as big (or even much greater) on the table as they ‘should’ be, forcing players to disregard what they see (“Those guys look to be ~30ft apart”) and translate to the game information (“Those guys are ~50yds apart”).  Not a big thing, but if you can do it, why not?

Participant

Great AAR.  What all did the AI run?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

“What all did the AI run?”

“AI” is, I suppose, misleading, and I shouldn’t have used the term.  Better would have been “There are a few options here, so assign a quick ‘that sounds good’ set of odds and roll a die…”  I used it in situations such as deciding which unit to activate or if a unit would be deployed, who would fire and at what target, if a unit would take cover/withdraw/advance, how aggressive/passive a unit or leader may be.  Not for every move/decision, but just in those cases where I thought two or more reasonable options presented.  Since I came up with all of the options, all of the mistakes are mine…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.