Home Forums Modern Cold War Commander – artillery

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone using/used these?

Am I reading this right?

I have a battery of D-30s (3 guns, 45 points each, total 135 points). However I also need to spend points on assets for these guns.

From the army list, assets include Artillery HE (max 9/unit, 10 points each), Smoke (max 3/unit, 20 points each), etc. I am assuming these points are per gun, per fire mission. Thus I need to decide, before the game, what fire missions I am planning and have the assets accordingly, thus if my thought is to have 2 x HE and 1 x smoke available on call, I need to buy:

3 guns x 10 points each x 2 fire missions = 60 points

3 guns x 20 points each x 1 fire mission = 60 points

Thus I need to allocate 120 points on top of the 135 for the guns themselves.

It sounds like that is what it says (and it kind of feels right, as if I had a battery of 9 guns and wanted 6 rounds of HE I would need  540 points). Are others reading that the same way?

(I just had to re-adjust my little recce force!!)

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Keymaster

Is the online tool that works out points values still around?

Participant

There’s an online tool that works out points values??

QRF Models Limited

Keymaster

There’s an online tool that works out points values??

No.
    I thought there was , but it turns out it is just for FWC, not CWC.
    Sorry.

LINK anyway.

Participant

There used to be:

http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Battlegroups/System.aspx

@OP.

Artillery (and Air) assets are a type of special support quite separate from normal artillery use which is why they have very limited numbers available in the army lists.

Generally Artillery are purchased as normal units and during the game are called in by command rolls from FOO’s so can fire each turn they are sucessful, subject to deviation.

Artillery assets are specifically used for “scheduled” artillery or air attacks which do not roll for deviation

Pre game they can be specified on which turn and target point they are used on, or can be called in during the game to agreed “pre registered” targets only.

eg – I am playing a defender. I have purchased 2 artillery assets. In the middle of the map is the attackers objective. I could schedule the artillery assets to land in the middle of the village automatically on turns 3 and 4 (no deviation rolls), hopefully surprising any enemy units.

Or I could mark the village cross roads as a pre registered target, stick a FOO within sight of it and call them in on the turns I want (again no deviation rolls)

ps – You do have to buy off table artillery units to be able to use the artillery assets!

Hope thats clear.

Regards

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Participant

pps – On the turns your artillery units fire a scheduled asset mission they can not fire as normal, not surprisingly!

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Participant

Wait so the artillery assets are just fixed scheduled assets?

If I buy (off-table) unscheduled 122mm towed D-30s that cones with ammunition, but under the control of the FAO so can choose to fire HE, smoke or whatever each turn, but with deviation?

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Yep.

The rule books on scheduled assets are a bit confusing but they are effectively just a way of buying a special on target fire mission for your arty.

Participant

Ah yes, that makes more sense… but it falls apart when you do the same thing with air support

An FAO can call in a support mission on a target, e.g. F-4 Phantom, 8 attacks but scatterable. Makes sense

Then the assets lists are for scheduled strikes, pre-planned on a specific point and/or turn, and do not scatter. Again makes sense to this point e.g. Aircraft napalm, max 1 per unit, 30 points each….

However then there is no strike value difference between ground attack, cluster bomb or napalm, and what does it mean by max x per unit??

Im going to go read them again. Is Pete Jones about anywhere?

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Ah wait, the differences between cluster, PGM, napalm etc are defined in the main rules on page 29 (just before the heading for air support!) Now all I have to do is figure out the max x per unit is referring to…

“Each unit of aircraft is represented by one model”, so the implication is that an F-4 on call is a lot more expensive (165 points) than just a scheduled napalm asset (max 1 per unit, 30 points) and would again only appear to make sense if the two are cumulative…

Yes found it. Page 9.

“You must  purchase artillery units to be able to use artillery assets in the game. Similarly, you must purchased aircraft units to be able to use aircraft assets in the game.”

*just cross checked BKC, same applies for WW2*

Therefore you need to buy your F-4 (165) plus either ground attack (10 points per attack, max 2 attacks), cluster bombs (30 points, max 1 attack), etc

Your F-4 can then carry out a scheduled attack (napalm that hill on turn 3) or could be called in by an FAC to carry out an attack on a target of opportunity. It can’t be used to carry out CAS on turn 3, because it’s scheduled to napalm the hill. Of course if the unit is shot down carrying out CAS in turn 2 then the scheduled strike will never happen… that unit is no longer available!

The F-4 CAS strike will be subject to deviation, and deliver 8 dice in a 10cm radius zone, or concentrate fire on a single target.

The F-4 scheduled napalm strike will deliver 6 dice to every target in the same area zone, but treating every target as being in the open (hit on 4+), no armour saves and automatic suppression.

A scheduled F-4 strike with Precision Guided Munitions will focus 12 dice on any single target with no deviation  and no armour save. Possibly well worth 30 points!

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Yep, the artillery and air attack rules in CWC are quite confusing as various bits are scattered through the rules. They do work well though. I will strongly recommend that you follow historical organisation scales as excess numbers of mortars, artillery or air support can seriously unbalance the game and become utterly dominant.

--An occasional wargames blog: http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/ --

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.