Home Forums Modern Cold War History

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DM
    Participant

My kids are interested in reading up on the Cold War. Can anyone recommend a decent, balanced book on the subject that would be good for youngsters?

Rod Robertson
    Participant

David:

http://www.the-best-childrens-books.org/Cold-War-history.html

“The Wall” by Peter Sis and “The Loud Silence of Francine Green” by Karen Cushman are good ones if you don’t mind historical novels aimed at kids. Animal Farm is a good primer for family discussions of ideology, freedom and totalitarianism. There are some really good web pages on they Cold War aimed at kids. Without knowing the ages and/or reading levels of your kids, it’s hard to make recommendations.

Cheers and good luck.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Rod, it’s like you are a teacher or something !!!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Kyoteblue:

Guilty as charged. And I love it!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

PatG
    Participant

Animal Farm should be balanced out by something on McCarthyism. Fail Safe and Dr Strangelove should be introduced at the appropriate ages.

Edit: Next time read the list provided by the educational expert first. Great Resource!

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by PatG.
    McKinstry
    Participant

Would “On The Beach” be too depressing? I spent my elementary youth doing the periodic “duck and cover” drills under our desks from kindergarden onwards and from about that age we knew (living right behind a Nike installation) that we were toast when the inevitable war with the Godless commies broke out.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

kyoteblue
    Participant

My family live in Midwest City next to Tinker AFB in Oklahoma in 1961 the B-52’s rattled the school as they took off , seemed like for hours to us little kids. We did duck and cover every morning.

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I really wish someone would do something like the Usborne Battlegame books, but for the Cold War. I had the WWII one when I was a kid, and it was a great introduction to the period.

Military history author

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.