Home Forums Modern Cold War Ptn to Coy Level Rules

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

To All:

I’m looking for Cold War rules to fight platoon to combat team level battles with singly mounted 15mm minis and a 1:1 figure ratio. I have used WRG Modern Warfare 1950-1985, (for microarmour games) Challenger, Force on Force and I have attempted to adapt Battleground WW II (unsuccessfully) to play in this scale. I have read over Ivan’s Company Commander rules and will look at Saber Squadron as well. FFT-3 seems to be at too large a scale for my needs but I could be wrong about that. I await releases from Osprey and Too Fat Lardies but given my very minimal experience with WWII FOW I don’t think Team Yankee will be my cup,of tea. What other rules for this level of Cold War gaming should I look into. Any suggestions will be most appreciated and thanks in advance to all who can offer suggestions.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I have no clue, but single based figures can only scale up so far or you spend all your time moving them..You try moving 200 25mm Zulus and it’s and all day and night game.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Hey Kyoteblue:

Ya, I know that single-basing is a pain but in low-level tactical and skirmish games it’s sort of necessary. Do you think TY would work for me? I wasn’t a big fan of WWII FOW but I admit my inexperience and ignorance for both systems. So I could be very wrong.

You’ll be happy to know that my BTR-60PB programme has hit a snag as pack number eight contained two turrets but only seven road wheels. I’ll have to contact the manufacturer so completion of the 12 APC’s will be delayed. Damn, they look so good and I was hoping to get them finished ASAP. Well, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy, so I shouldn’t be surprised. I’ll get 11.96 done and then move on to the new BMP-1’s.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Team Yankee is more tank centric than WW 2 FOW. I don’t know that it would work all that well for you. Bummer about your BTR-60PB’s !!!!

John D Salt
    Participant

Let me recommend, as I always do, the venerable WRG Infantry Action rules, which are intended for individually-based figures. In my opinion and experience, they are one of the very few sets of miniatures wargames rules that capture some of the essence of infantry minor tactics (Buck Surdu’s BAPS is another). The WRG rules are available Harry Freeman’s at:

http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/History/OLDWRG/InfantryAction.pdf

Despite their early publication date (June 1972), they include provision for night combat, illuminants and obscurants, mines and punjis, off-table fire support, horses and bikes as well as MT and AFVs, and airlanding by parachute, helo or glider. Although the title indicates that the rules are intended to apply to the period 1925 — 1950, there seems no good reason not to use them for 25 years before and after that date.

I have used the rules successfully for company-a-side actions, but I think platoon is more the level they are intended for. Probably nobody will use the rather eccentric basing convention required by the rules, nor provide alternative prone and standing figures for every soldeir, but this does not matter as long as you can keep track of who is prone and which direction people are facing.

This is one of the very few sets of rules I have ever met that inlcudes taking prisoners, and the only one I can think of to include trip flares. As trip flares played such a large part in the night exercises that made up much of my TA career, this perhaps counts for more than it should with me. Another reason for me to be so fond of them is that my Regimental Sergeant Major, John Langley, mostly wrote them.

All the best,

John.

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

I’ll second John’s WRG recommendation, those are a great set of rules…. and free!

You could also take a look at “At Close Quarters” by Chris Peers. I think they might be out of print now, but shouldn’t be too hard to track down a copy. Here’s a review:

http://dusttears.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/at-close-quarters-chris-peers-rule_20.html

I’ve also found GZG’s “Dirtside II” easy to adapt to modern (and modern-ish) settings.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Dr. Salt:

What’s is old, is new again! I remember having a go or two at playing these rules as a none-too-critical youngster in 1973 at a school wargaming club in Bristol. I will give the rules a re-read and see if they are right for my needs. Thank you for the reference and the nostalgic flashbacks! Cheerful spectral faces and fond memories of good times are echoing in my head. For years a buddy of mine had a paper copy of these rules lying around in his gaming collection here in Montreal and I ignored them. He has moved west and his rules set has gone with him I presume, but I’ll give him a ring and at least catch up on old times. What a shame if I have ignored a nugget of gold right under my nose for four decades. Apologies for my excessive sentimentality and thanks again!

Rules Junkie Jim:

Thanks for the review and I’ll have a rummage around on the interweb to see if I can find them. The review was an interesting read.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Irish Marine
    Participant

Try Battlefront WW2 by Fire & Fury you have to buy the WW2 rules but then go to the website and you can download the modified modern rules.  It’s based from the squad up; so two figures is a squad three bases of two squads is a platoon and so on.

shelldrake
    Participant

You mentioned Nordic Weasel’s Company Commander game, but have you looked at NWG “No End In Sight”? It is a platoon level game with 1:1 figures. Great fun too: https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/home/in-sight

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Irish Marine:

I have looked at BF WWII (Cold War) but it’s at too high a level for my needs. I have individually based infantry and want a 1:1 figure ratio for troops and vehicles. BF WWII is a really great set of rules but I’m looking for an obese-skirmish style game. Thanks for suggesting it and I hope you get in touch with JF/RMD to flesh out the Cold War version. He’ll probably turn up here soon if he’s not too distracted by Starwars games and seasonal committments.

Shelldrake:

I’m a big fan of Ivan’s NEIS but it is too hard to use when a player has more than 2-3 squads to manage. They are a good set of rules and I love that they stress me out when playing them! You really feel burnt out after a hard fought game of NEIS. They were the first Nordic Weasel rules I bought and in my opinion are superb for very small unit actions. But they grind down at the level I want to run games at and I want simple rules with which to indoctrinate my potential players. Then when I’ve got them hooked I can complicate things. Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers, Season’s Greetings and good gaming.

Rod Robertsn

kyoteblue
    Participant

If I can get the money and ability to send the mini team yankee rule book to you Rod, would you want to try those rules out??? I’ve never mailed any thing to Canada and I have no idea how you do that….any way.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Kyoteblue:

Thanks for the generous offer but hold on to your mini rules set. Old dogs and new tricks I suppose but I’ll respectfully pass on your offer of largesse. It is however totally cool that you offered to do so and even more amazing that you offered to wander into undiscovered country to do so. I have decided to have another go at redesigning the old BGWWII rules for a Cold War melieu. I’ll stick with that until I Ain’t Been Nuked Yet and or a Modern CoC come out. I hope you and yours are all well and enjoying the festive season. Did you get the water problem sorted before the holiday started?

Cheers, Season’s Greetings and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Ok Rod , I have two of the mini TY rule books, so …. if you ever want one it’s yours.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Kyoteblue:

Thanks man, it’s nice to know someone as considerate as you is out there. But you might consider using your mini-rules as inticements to get other Okie gamers into Tornado Alley and support your local gaming scene. Charity begins at home as they say. Best wishes and thanks again.

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.