Home Forums General Conventions and Shows Colours 2015

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Steve Johnson
    Participant

Details of traders and demo games are up on the NWRC website:

http://www.nrwc.org.uk/colours

There appear to be less demo games than in previous years and there only 62 traders compared to over 90 in previous years. Hopefully it will still be the great show.

DM
    Participant

Alas can’t make it this year, Laura and I are going to the Old Sarum air display that day  to see the Vulcan for the last time

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Well, hope it’s allowed to fly after the Hunter aircrash. As kids we used to go to Alconbury a lot and watch all the V bombers from a nearby railway bridge. Pretty impressive when you were a young kid.

Spurious
    Participant

Well, hope it’s allowed to fly after the Hunter aircrash.

It’s been flying since then quite happily. It isn’t affected by the additional restrictions on old jets performances since it has been under those kind of restrictions for many decades after some of the earlier, less skilled/lucky pilots managed to crash it trying to do barrel rolls iirc (that it’s capable of but not exactly something worth risking a lot of lives for)

There appear to be less demo games than in previous years and there only 62 traders compared to over 90 in previous years. Hopefully it will still be the great show.

Kinda surprised it has shrunk that much, I guess they didn’t like using the second building (nor did the traders I suspect given the lack of foot-traffic directed to it). Still, I was worried about it being overly cramped given that it is down to a single day so that there’s fewer traders and hopefully a bit more floorspace to move around is brilliant, should the reduction in traders translate into more floorspace for the probably increased amount of visitors. Warfare last year was a major pain in the fundamentals to move around with how insanely cramped that got.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Well that comment threw me a bit I confess – (maybe I make Spurious’ point about traders not liking it!) – I hadn’t realised there WAS a second building previously at Colours. I thought it had all been in the main grandstand building – over three floors but still all together. Sorry chaps – where was the ‘second building’ ?

DM
    Participant

There was a second building?????

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Last time it was run they used a small ‘pavillion’ just before the main visitors entrance. To be honest I didn’t have time to check it out as on the plan it didn’t have anything of interest in there for me.  I think it had some re-enactors and maybe a few traders. Certainly not enough for to account for the 30% drop.

Spurious
    Participant

There was at least a dozen traders and some games in there last time, including Mongoose so not even just the tiniest most forgettable traders. They’d only just expanded out into that because of the huge amount of traders that were at the show compared to the minimal floorspace to fix extra ones, and then they took a year off.

Given the show is down to one day, I think they consciously chose to not have so many traders in order that the show can still be navigated. Or I’d like to think that, it’s probably financials related rather than customer-experience related. Seriously though it got pretty cramped in there at the best of times, let alone when trying to jam everyone in on a single day (an interesting but unsurprising move given the costs involved in running or being part of a 2 day show), and visiting Warfare last year which had become overloaded with how many traders there were really showed that shaving off a few inches of floorspace here and there is not a good idea for anyone.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

We used to do our demo games only on the Sunday, but even then it used to get uncomfortably hot and busy. The Bring’n’Buy on the Saturday used to be like a school playground fight apparently, so interesting to see this years guidelines on it.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Well, no pavilion but the rest was pretty much all good!

The cost was a little more than the usual shows I go to but there was proportionately more there so £6.00 was fine. The food was as is often/usually the case with ‘captive audience’ venues expensive for what it was, but what I had was more than just edible so that was a bonus.

There were a few of the bigger traders not there, but then many traders seem not to be bothering with the majority of shows now. There were sufficient stands there however that had things I wanted/liked the look of, that I came away wishing I had budgeted for a bigger spend.

There were a good looking assortment of games on the top floor although a combination of arriving a bit later than intended, having to return a bit earlier than I would have liked and a memory like a sieve (forgot it was only one day and I couldn’t come back on Sunday!) meant I missed playing a couple I would have liked to try – Zama being one.

Seemed pretty well attended and the traders I talked to, spent with, all seemed content. I didn’t bump into as many people I knew as normal but whether this was down to my failing eyesight, a more focused approach to purchasing or them not being there (or avoiding me!) I can’t say.

All in all a great day out and lots to paint and play with (as long as Mr Pendraken remembers to post my order soon). I hope it was a success for the club and that Colours is back on the regular circuit.

Guy Taylor
    Participant

Well that makes at least 4 Guy’s that wargame who were at Colours on  Saturday.

Took eldest son with me on his last convention before University. Had a great time played in my first game at a convention in 15 years, also found the mix of trader somewhat better and diverse ,not too many selling the same old tat. More space to maneuver with the increasing waistlines of my contemporaries. Fewer games ? A larger space to sit down and eat or chill ?

Hope it works out.

Guy T

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Sadly our cars starter motor died as I was about to set off, so was unable to make the show. Gutted as I really look forward to this as a chance to catch up with various forum members, put on a demo game and see what is new as it were. Guess I’ll have to wait until next year…

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Steve.

Guy – 4 Guys – we should start a group or something!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.