Home Forums General Conventions and Shows Colours 2018 – Newbury & Reading Wargames Society

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I attended this year’s Colours and had a very enjoyable day in the company of friends, picking up a few things and taking in the games at the show.

If you would like to know more and see my pick of the games then just follow the link to JJ’s

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2018/09/colours-2018-newbury-reading-wargame.html

Jonathan (JJ)

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Some of those games just look too good. If only I had that much space I’d switch scale in a heartbeat.

Participant

Some of those games just look too good. If only I had that much space I’d switch scale in a heartbeat.

I am with you here. I scaled down from the 20mm of my innocent youth to 6mm as space became a premium. I dream of 20mm all the time though.

Participant

Thanks for posting that – I had initially intended going, but a combination of child care responsibilities, wife working, an inability to work out complicated things like calendars and the fact Colours is (and has been for a while) a one day show, defeated my rigorous planning skills.

So, nice to see some of what I missed! (I suppose it means I can spend the petrol money and Severn Bridge toll on actually buying stuff now).

Not sure I can wholeheartedly agree with the preference for larger scales. I like 20mm (none of those monstrous 28mm things for WWII and after!) for modernish skirmish, but 15mm to 6mm look better for larger post 17th century battles to me. For example the Market Garden game (even better if there were no extraneous detritus on the table!) looks ‘right’ to me, whereas the Goodwood game looks all wrong, even though the individual models may be great. I am perfectly happy to accept everyone has different perceptions of these things so I’m not saying you are wrong and I am right (even though I am right!) just that other opinions are available.

Participant

I’ve been a 20mm WWII player for a very long time now and so I really like the aspect of being able to tell what everything is without the aid of a microscope.  Just what are some of those small green things in the Market Garden game?  But I will agree with Guy on one thing, that Goodwood game does look strange.  The chequerboard cornfields are just so odd.  Your eye is drawn to them in a way that terrain shouldn’t do unless it’s the bridge at Remagen for example.  And is this a game or just a static display?  The Germans seem to have been given the last 6” of the table to play with, and precious little terrain, whilst Guards Armoured is arranged across a football field in comparison.  Maybe you just had to be there to understand it?

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

I love the Boshin War game.

I really appreciate show reports. Thanks for doing this one!

Participant

Thanks for your comments chaps.

I think views about games, scale, rules and tables are very much in the realm of ‘beauty being in the eye of the beholder’ and a case of each to their own. I tend to do these show reports very much from a personal perspective, and the clue to that is in the write up and the name on the blog, but all my choices are there because I found something attractive about the game for it to be featured and others will agree or disagree as is their want or as you say Guy, ‘other opinions are available’, even on my blog where you can read the comments, which I always publish (rules on politeness and appropriateness applied) weather they agree with me or not.

As regards the smaller scales, as I pointed out in the post, I once wargamed in that scale and indeed had a very large collection of 1;300th models. Sadly as the years condemn, my eyes can’t handle working in that scale anymore and I have moved on to develop a taste for others, but one cannot help enjoying seeing a well put together game in 1:300th and not appreciate the aspects that can be modeled that larger scales simply struggle to convey.

Likewise the Goodwood game comes at the issue of modeling WWII from the other end of the scale spectrum and the difficulties of conveying a very large tank battle fought over standing cornfields without having to commandeer the whole floor of the show grandstand. Obviously compromises have to be made and the modeling displayed in this game offered opportunities for great cameos that really capture those grainy black and white pictures of the actual battle, that I think you would struggle to emulate with a much smaller scale.

I guess that is where the 15mm collectors chime in claiming to be able to bridge that gap, and as a 15mm collector myself, I guess I could make a case from that perspective, but that is another discussion.

On a final point, fantastic, Rhoderic, I hoped I would appeal to a Boshin War fan. It means absolutely nothing to me and I have no idea what I was taking pictures of but I know a nice table and a fine looking game when I see one, so I am glad you enjoyed the post.

Cheers all

JJ

Participant

So was Goodwood a game or just a display of modelling talent JJ?

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Both, I would say.

I had to manoeuvre my way among the chaps playing as I was taking the pictures.

Participant

Thanks for posting JJ, very much appreciated.  Sadly I was unable to attend due to other commitments.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.