Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Combat Patrol is back….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ian pillayian pillay
    Participant

My 34 year love hate relationship continues with GW. Not sure I am going to buy in to the 9th edition but they have brought back one aspect of the game I really did enjoy back in the days of 3rd edition – Combat Patrol!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/26/join-the-combat-patrolgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-3/?utm_source=CUSTOMERS&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GW_29th_June_BL_Bundle_ENG&utm_content=&utm_term=_&m_i=PnkpM51TILyqDsAvz_awunHf2l1ka7U4DtGqp%2BKLt_bIi6cwJYVA_O94R1F6NVQQPXqM%2BemCGkSiI_16QKj1JNye1HCrg_PPPr

Tally-Ho!

Andrew BeasleyAndrew Beasley
    Participant

I cannot work this out.  Will it end Kill Team with the Elite / Command expansions leaving Kill Team as a dead product or at best skirmish only OR is it designed to be the gen 9 starter introduction and be included in the starter sets?  GW have never had duplicates in rules for long so maybe KT will just fade away or get specific campaign sets like Blackstone Fortress.

My understanding is that GW plan years ahead so my speculation is just that – the future for the rules are  set and I guess the limited number of players, compared to the main game, will not influence that one iota.

For me though, Combat Patrol is about as large as I would want to play now as the leaders / heroes are so OTT it’s laughable in my eyes and cost is way beyond any hobby allowance I can justify (though most 28+ figures are heading that way).

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

My understanding (from 3rd ed days) was Killteam is the gate way similar to Necromunda with a dozen minis and then Combat Patrol was the next step up, a 40K lite with minimum units with vehicles.

Tired is enough.

ian pillayian pillay
    Participant

The original had special force creation rules, I can’t remember all from memory but you couldn’t take a character with more than 2 wounds, you added up all the armour ratings of a vehicle facing and it had to be less than 30 or something like that… it was aimed at smaller games 400pts or so and played under an hour.

For me 40k at 2000pts plus gets a bit silly on table space and the wallet! Bigger battles in the Grim dark future are better played at ‘epic’ scale. IMHO.

Tally-Ho!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.