Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket Commisariat uniform – Zulu War

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

The nice people at HaT have sent me prototypes of their upcoming 2 AZW wagon sets:

http://www.hat.com/Prev/Wagon/Gsw.html

http://www.hat.com/Prev/Wagon/Ow.html

I’m supposed to paint them & send back photos for their website.

It might be nice to get the painting in the right colours……

Q1. The Commissariat figure. I believe a black uniform? Does anyone have any information? I’m assuming the other figure would just be a squaddy in a red coat.

Q2. The Ox wagon would be painted an (unlikely) green with red wheels?

There’s photos on the net eg:

http://www.voortrekker-history.co.za/wagon_great_trek.php#.Wtjh2U0h2Uk

Is this the only option? Would the colours be that bright?

donald

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

My suggestion is to find a copy of Ian Knight’s ‘British Forces in Zululand 1879’ Osprey Elite 32. It has some useful drawings of wagons and carts and illustrations of support troops.

All ranks of the Army Service Corps wore a dark blue uniform (p45 of the above). I assume that General Service wagons would be the same grey that limbers and artillery carriages were painted.

There was a shortage of General Service wagons in the campaign, and local ones were hired/commandeered (p24 of the above). The ox cart looks to be one such. The drivers are definitely civilians (Boers?), so the vehicle probably wouldn’t be a military colour IYSWIM. There is a drawing of exactly the same type of ox cart on p28, with the caption “Chelmsford’s existing transport was completely inadequate for his needs, civilian wagons, of which this is a typical pattern, were purchased or hired to make up the shortfall.”

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Er, and why is this on the Modern board? 😀

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Keymaster

Er, and why is this on the Modern board? 😀

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

That’s what you get for being helpful 😀

Thanks NCS. I will track down the Osprey.

I did put this on the Modern board. It might not have been a good fit but its definitely not C18th or Sci-Fi. And it’s not Horse & Musket either.

NB I made a point a while ago that Colonial didn’t seem to have a board. IMO, it still doesn’t.

donald

The HaT wagons look good “in the flesh”. They’re quite well detailed & go together well.

I don’t love the oxen supplied but my metal ones look OK (I think you can see the plastic ones behind).

I look forward to painting them.

[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.