Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Companies that make Gaslands / Car Wars type stuff in 20mm?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Rhoderic
    Participant

So, this is another thread along the same lines as my Battletech one from a few weeks back, where I’m not immediately looking to make purchases but I want to get an overview of “what’s up”, so I can let the idea percolate in my head for a while. And it may also interest other hobbyists to see the relevant theme highlighted (or so I hope).

I’ve seen a number of companies that sell 20mm post-apoc “car wars” style vehicles and figures, or more often, conversion parts for die-cast cars and suchlike in roughly the same scale. The newish Gaslands ruleset seems to have revitalised this subgenre of miniatures gaming to a degree. I can’t remember all the companies, though. There are probably also companies I’m not aware of. So for overview purposes, I’m asking for mentions of any companies you guys know of that make 20mm-ish models, figures and conversion parts for post-apoc vehicular combat.

The two that I can recall are:

Zinge Industries

Aberrant Games

Private Snafu
    Participant

Stan Johansen

Thorsten Frank
    Participant

If I recall that right there is some material on Shapeways.com. But this stuff is mostly very expensive.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Rhoderic
    Participant

Thanks for the Stan Johansen mention. That company was somewhere in the back of my head but I couldn’t recall the name and in any case I was expecting it to be out of business by now (just because it’s been around for a long time).

Didn’t know there’s stuff for this genre on Shapeways, but I really should stop being surprised at what’s on Shapeways these days. Searching for “Gaslands” brings up a lot of nice stuff, but I can’t find any information about what scale it’s meant to be. I can only assume 20mm-ish. If so, and if the “smooth fine detail plastic” printing option lives up to the name, then the prices are competitive enough IMO.

I also thought of two more companies:

Ramshackle Games

World Forge Games

I’m pretty sure the companies I’ve thought of to mention by now, plus Stan Johansen, are the extent of what I’ve come across in the past myself (not counting very OOP ones: Citadel Dark Future / Battlecars, and maybe Nitro which I don’t know the scale of). I’m still hoping there’s more, but the sources listed in this thread so far are already a more-than-decent showing.

Gaz045
    Participant

Elhiem Miniatures too,

https://www.elhiem.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1494252-POST-APOCGazlands.html

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Rhoderic
    Participant

Nice! Thanks.

MattH
    Participant

Late to the party here, but just wanted to say – great thread, thanks!

I’ve just finished up a bunch of Hot Wheels conversions and I was looking to get some pedestrians. I wasn’t aware of most of the suppliers listed here. Elhiem’s stuff looks particularly cool.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Ooh, looks like North Star will be releasing their own plastic sprue of conversion bits as an official Gaslands tie-in:

Apparently the rules are getting a new edition, too.

telzy amber
    Participant

What scale is the model sprue? Actually it looks like an image of a model sprue.

Rhoderic
    Participant

What scale is the model sprue?

The newsletter doesn’t say, it only says it’s for customising die-cast cars. I can only assume it’s 20mm-ish.

telzy amber
    Participant

Thank you. I would very interested if it is 20mm

Devon Start
    Participant

stan johansen im pretty sure his stuff is 20mm  he is still kicking, he comes to the HMGS South shows and runs his gaslands style game there every year.

his figs are wonky but the conversion bits are to die for

Andrew Thomas
    Participant

https://www.kyamsildesigns.co.uk

Nice selection of wheels, tyres, jacked-up axles and weapons.

Alex
    Participant

Just because it hasn’t been mentioned yet, I was impressed with the stuff I got from Three Dee Pee on eBay.

nice range of 3d printed guns, rams and armour plates.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)
    tracking a journey through as eclectic a collection of wargames as possible

Nick Eyre
    Participant

Hi Folks
    The plastic frame shown in this post is 20mm, or at least we scaled it to fit hotwheels/ matchbox cars.

It’s available to order here: http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14010

We have an offer where we send a free frame with every copy of Gaslands Refuelled ordered: http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=13861

But that ends tonight!

Nick

Mike
    Keymaster

Hey, thanks for joining and posting Nick, I am a fan of Copplestone Castings myself, good to see you here!

Tony S
    Participant

I had already pre-ordered the new Gaslands edition before I saw Northstar’s offer – really regretting that decision now.  That plastic sprue looks great.

However, I do admit I already have a fair bit of stuff, including some cycles, from Ramshackle Games.  They are quite reasonably priced and also offer free shipping worldwide with no minimum!  I’m quite happy with the stuff from Ramshackle and can attest to the fact that they are sized for Matchbox cars.

https://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_category=13&controller=category

Gaz045
    Participant

There are some weapons that ‘fit’ from The SceneUK…….nominally 15mm but they work with 20mm too……..

https://thesceneuk.com/product-category/heavy-weapons/

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Gone Fishing
    Participant

A Road Warrior project is one of the half dozen or so hobby projects that I often think about but have shied away from doing. Two things throw me: one is the dithering between what scale to do it in, 20mm or 28mm – on the one hand the ease and availability of the smaller scale are most attractive – Matchbox cars are really cheap, and the table size could be smaller but still accommodate fun games – then there are the very nice offerings from Ramshackle and Stan Johaneson to drool over; on the other hand, 28’s are more appealing visually and there are some nice figures out there, though the cars themselves are a bit of a problem. It’s a head-scratcher for me.

The second thing is that I’d like to model any such collection on The Road Warrior film, and so guns and such should be very rare. In that light, most ranges on offer seem a little “gunned-up.” It surprises me there aren’t more figures – especially punk and bondage types – armed only with primitive weapons like chains, blades, clubs with nails driven through them, etc. Maybe I need to hunt around more or think about doing some conversions. Anyway, one of these days I might get around to it…

Rhoderic
    Participant

Two things throw me: one is the dithering between what scale to do it in, 20mm or 28mm – on the one hand the ease and availability of the smaller scale are most attractive – Matchbox cars are really cheap, and the table size could be smaller but still accommodate fun games – then there are the very nice offerings from Ramshackle and Stan Johaneson to drool over; on the other hand, 28’s are more appealing visually and there are some nice figures out there, though the cars themselves are a bit of a problem. It’s a head-scratcher for me.

I’m going with 20mm (though I’m becoming increasingly aware that it’s very much a case of “large 20mm” or even “heroic 20mm” – people tend to just call it 20mm and consequently I had the impression that the standard die-cast cars scale was around 1/72, but it’s really more like 1/64). However, I have managed to find some spiffing cars that, to me, are just right for 28mm. The best I’ve found are part of a line of toys for the Fast & Furious franchise. In my local toy stores they’re less than twice as expensive as Hot Wheels and similar lines, which means they’re still eminently affordable by the standards of our hobby, where a single 28mm metal figure often costs more than a Hot Wheels car.

The black-and-green car in these photos is 1/64(ish) Hot Wheels. The other two are Fast & Furious and I’d put them at around 1/56. The figure is from Foundry and in the scale I like to call “sensible 28mm” (certainly bigger than “true 25mm” but not “heroic 28mm” either, i.e. the gold standard of 28mm sensibility that I’ve come to expect from companies like Foundry and North Star).

I’m going to use the 1/56 cars for a different post-apoc / dark future project that will be less single-mindedly focused on automotive combat, but may still have the occasional car on-table, for scenery if nothing else.

All that being said, I’m not sure how extensive the Fast & Furious range is (the packaging seems to suggest there are 32 different cars, though I’ve only found about half of them in toy stores), nor how many cars are needed in a game like Gaslands. Also, sourcing vehicles like lorries, buses and pick-up trucks for 28mm would probably still be tricky.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

That’s extremely helpful, Rhoderic, thank you. The temptation’s a strong one – especially when I see threads like this – and I may spend some time this weekend looking at the various options in the two scales. Thanks again!

Rhoderic
    Participant

Now where to get a “large 20mm” samurai helmet with a face mask?

https://youtu.be/SpSMoBp8awM

Rhoderic
    Participant

This comes rather last-minute as a heads-up, but Steve Jackson Games is doing a Car Wars Kickstarter with plastic 1/64 cars. 28 hours to go as I write this.

Also, North Star has started making metal figures for Gaslands now, on top of the plastic sprue. So, Nick… about a female road warrior wearing a kabuto and menpo…? 🙂

Striker
    Participant

What I would like to see are 1/2 or 2/3 figures for matchbox scaled cars (around 1/72).  I cars with open interiors but by design the leg area is usually solid or very small.  The figures would need to be probably plastic since metal ones aren’t as thin.  FYI: 1/72 barrels for airplane machineguns are nice.  I went overboard and got brass ones that have porting.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.