Home Forums Renaissance Comparison of ECW metal figure ranges

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

My ECW project began with piles of plastic Revell & ACTA figures.
    Desiring a Covenanter army, I’ve bought truckloads of the metal Tumbling Dice figures, which match with the plastics well and which I really like.
    But I always like variety in my wargaming armies.

What else would work? A pal in the UK sent my these comparison photos of TD & the SHQ range.

Left to right….
    1: TD officer
    2: SHQ officer
    3: SHQ trooper on TD horse
    4: Reverse of 3
    5: TD drummer
    6: SHQ drummer.

Looks like these are very compatible.

I hope this photo might assist others.

donald

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

The one failing of most ranges (any scale/size, any medium, any epoch) is the animals, horses especially, so if you can mix-and-match the best horses with either set of figures, you are off to the races (so to speak).  My own preference for ECW/TYW is the older (2nd Generation) Minifigs 15mm range, not least because they had THE best horses anywhere until Mr Barton started doing the Battle Hono(u)rs and then AB ranges – and even then they still came a close second.

Nice for you to have another option go for it.

The one failing of most ranges (any scale/size, any medium, any epoch) is the animals, horses especially, so if you can mix-and-match the best horses with either set of figures, you are off to the races (so to speak). My own preference for ECW/TYW is the older (2nd Generation) Minifigs 15mm range, not least because they had THE best horses anywhere until Mr Barton started doing the Battle Hono(u)rs and then AB ranges – and even then they still came a close second. Nice for you to have another option go for it.

Our mutual friend, Iain (Essex Boy) is the photographer & I know how finicky he can be about mix n’ match so if he says it’s orlright, it must be.

And I must respectfully disagree re: best horses. In “my” scale, the TYW Revell ones are great:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=311

donald

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Very nice, but they (the Revell) look a bit too post Godolphin, Darley and Byerley for 17th century osses to me!

The mix and match looks okay, although the SHQ boys have definitely had the better diet.

Very nice, but they (the Revell) look a bit too post Godolphin, Darley and Byerley for 17th century osses to me! The mix and match looks okay, although the SHQ boys have definitely had the better diet.

I have a slight issue with a lot of model horses, especially plastic ones, being too fine in their breeding to be plausible.

Most horses from the C19th and backwards would have been plugs. Apart from lack of Arab breeding that you allude to, poor condition rapidly transforms the appearance of horses. Not to mention that unless clipped, many horses look quite shaggy. And I think that draught horses, pulling limbers, would tend to look even worse.  Indeed, the few impressive examples of horseflesh on most battlefields would have been the mounts of generals & such like.

I am reminded of Stendahl’s hero in ‘Le Rouge et le Noir’, riding a thoroughbred on the field of Waterloo, being unceremoniously hoisted from its back & the horse given to a marshal to ride.

But every Italeri horse in all their cavalry ranges are fit to grace Ascot.

donald

donald

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Come on Dover – move yer bloomin’ arse!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.