Home Forums Terrain and Scenery complete NON modeler trying to build something out of poly

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    gamegonegood
    Participant

Hi, Well I am a terrible painter & modeler Noob, so I saw I had some poly in the rubbish and thought I would give making something, I looked at it a decided a concrete bunker,

first I made a mess, then assembled 4 pieces together and glued , but i def needed the cocktail sticks, and I would recomend pushing them all the way in and leaving them in the model.

I had some modeling plastic sheets for the roof and base

gamegonegood
    Participant

it took me about 20 mins to do this, Im not waiting for glue to dry, now for the messy filler, I dont know if I want to do this.

I watched youtube kn the methods, but Im skipping all the hard bits, and I have never made a model before

I have no flock , just got paint, I have just out a little filler on it and textured the lid with a bit . I only mixed a small amount of filler and i did not use as much as i should of BUT it was messy

gamegonegood
    Participant

i have not put a door in, Im gooing to paint it in, the more you work on it the more you value it. Im definatly learning as i go

Mike
    Keymaster

Good luck, may I say that the crumbly white polystyrene is a pita to work with, so don’t let it put you off.

gamegonegood
    Participant

Thanks Mike, I am not liking the waiting for glue and filler to dry, but Its going to be my first gun of navarone emplacement 🙂

Geof Downton
    Participant

first I made a mess…

Everybody has to start somewhere, and it’s usually with a mess. Keep the glue off the furniture and the sharp bits of the knives away from your fingers and you’ll do fine!

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

gamegonegood
    Participant

sage advice thanks

willz
    Participant

i have not put a door in, Im gooing to paint it in, the more you work on it the more you value it. Im definatly learning as i go

Stick with it and learn from any errors, thick pant can cover all sins.  Make the door out of cardboard or balsa, you could even print it pre-coloured on paper and stick that on cardboard or balsa.

gamegonegood
    Participant

thanks, my figs come through the roof anyway 🙂  as a by product I used some bits to make interesting walls.

OB
    Participant

First thing is to measure properly, second thing is to take your time.  You will get better and better with experience. As Mike said you could choose an easier base material to work with.

I’m not a great model maker but with a bit of patience I can knock out reasonable stuff.

Good luck and persevere.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

gamegonegood
    Participant

that looks great OB, you are an insperation.

Keith Barker
    Participant

Good luck, may I say that the crumbly white polystyrene is a pita to work with, so don’t let it put you off.

It took me awhile to work out what pita meant, I thought at first it was kebab bread 🙂

But now I agree, the “the crumbly white polystyrene is a pita to work with”.

If you are going to do this more often, you can get XPS foam from a DIY shop. A huge sheet is very cheap. Or you can get foamboard and remove the paper covering. And it is much easier to work with.

You are using the right sort of knife, but it needs to be very sharp. I use a Stanley snap off knife which has a stiffer blade. I also change the blades rather often. The real trick is when you are cutting, to make lots of small shallow gentle passes rather than one deep heavy pass (causes less crumbling).

If you have any foam left showing bare, another trick is to cover it with mod podge. Ideally mix in some paint so you can see that you have covered everything and get a base coat at the same time. This coating protects the model. If you dont have mod podge, you can use white PVA glue instead.

Your result looks great for a first attempt.

gamegonegood
    Participant

Thanks Kieth, I intend to get proper materials but I did not plan it I dont even have flock and very little white paint, but I got the bug to make something

Keith Barker
    Participant

Yes I know exactly what you mean. Once you get the bug you can’t stop. I made a few sewer bits for a “dungeon crawl”. And I was really happy with the result. So I made a few more bits. And then a few more bits. And I cannot stop adding to the sewer system. And when I see strange bits of rubbish, I immediately think “I could use that as a … in the sewers”.

Some pics on by blog: http://keithswargames.blogspot.com/search/label/Sewer

I have even stopped posting images of the new sewer bits on my blog, after all there is a limit to how much sewer is interesting!

gamegonegood
    Participant

Thats what I want to do, modular but good looking like a demo table, If it was me I would make your game into an advanced hero quest after looking at the picks, they look like they would melt together, I do hope you take that as a compliment its just an idea

Mike
    Keymaster

you can get XPS foam from a DIY shop

I am making a 15mm building with that as the base.
    Gorilla glue sticks it in a few minutes and the ready mixed quick dry pollyfilla takes only a short while to be workable:

LINK

gamegonegood
    Participant

thanks Mike, I did not realise I could get fast dry, I remember now youve said it

gamegonegood
    Participant

this is how its going, added a front , the bottom dosnt fit it but i think its ok

Mike
    Keymaster

If the overhang bothers you, mount the whole thing on a bigger base and fill the gap?

gamegonegood
    Participant

yes thats a good idea, but I think Its strong enough to leave this, but on other buildings I will remember.

gamegonegood
    Participant

I looked at my plastic bowl I used to mix the filer and thought it would make a good dome for my building since its turning out to be an eastern building, BUT if the poly chips it will match

MartinR
    Participant

If you cover the soft polystyrene in undiluted PVA/White Glue it hardens it up no end. That it was what I do with all the hills I make. A couple of coats of PVA and you can throw them across the room without damage:)

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

gamegonegood
    Participant

I used PVA & water but it held up drying, I will use PVA next, is it ok to PVA over the paint, the reason i ask is I have hardly any white paint left

Keith Barker
    Participant

If you cover the soft polystyrene in undiluted PVA/White Glue it hardens it up no end. That it was what I do with all the hills I make. A couple of coats of PVA and you can throw them across the room without damage:)

If there is no detail in what you make (like hills), then covering in PVA glue works OK.

But if there is more detail, and you want a good seal, then I would suggest using Matte Mod Podge instead. Mod Podge does contain PVA but it has other ingredients too which help protect your hard work and helps it to flow and cover better. It also dries with a nice matt finish.

Mod Podge costs more than PVA glue, but I think my hard work on the models is worth it!

gamegonegood
    Participant

its looking like this would you PVA it if you have no white paint, will PVA rub off colour

Keith Barker
    Participant

I used PVA & water but it held up drying, I will use PVA next, is it ok to PVA over the paint, the reason i ask is I have hardly any white paint left

Yes you can PVA over the paint. PVA will dry transparent. But it can get a yellow tinge over time.

gamegonegood
    Participant

thanks it may look better with a tinge 🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Great looking start you have going on there.  I’d like to second Mike in suggesting a bigger base, if for no other reason than the bottom edges of your overhanging front might get damaged more easily than you’d like.

Do not spray paint EPS (or any type of poly really, EPS or XPS) without it having a sealer over it (like the suggested PVA or Modgepodge) as the solvents in the paint will melt the foam.  Makes cool effects, but usually not the ones desired!

You’ve really got it coming along quite well, looking forwards to seeing the finished product.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

gamegonegood
    Participant

Thanks, I have learned a fair bit on this project, I will probably get a better base material in the future, but what I learned is it is possible to make your dream table .

I am having to wait for the PVA to dry, but I have finished it, so expect the final shot tomorrow

gamegonegood
    Participant

its bad shadowy light, the shadows are severe on camera looks ok in real life,but I should of sanded the dome, I made the hill some time ago from a stack of poly

Keith Barker
    Participant

Very nice indeed for a “complete NON modeler”.

Check out BMC on youtube for lots of great tips to help you improve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcKSxC18GA&list=PLSrIGfVibMhjlq1rzP9YeHTDGaVLeDJbF

Looking forward to seeing your next build!!!

gamegonegood
    Participant

thanks, I will def watch that video series thanks

Geof Downton
    Participant

Agreed. I think that you are now forbidden from calling yourself a “non-modeller”!

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

gamegonegood
    Participant

praise indeed, thanks

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Agreed. I think that you are now forbidden from calling yourself a “non-modeller”!

^^^this^^^

And if doing two or three buildings at once you can go on to another while the first one is drying. Helps me with my ‘takes too long’ syndrome.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

gamegonegood
    Participant

thats a very good idea

Thomaston
    Participant

Very cool. Maybe you could use the rough offcuts for rubble and ruins.

Tired is enough.

OB
    Participant

A good result!  No doubt you’ll find yourself doing more now.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

gamegonegood
    Participant

thanks guys, Im out of paint and glue, so I have to wait for my next model, but I have got the bug

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.