Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Conan by sea

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Thomaston 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

I really want to run a game with conan using ships.

There are a lot of times where conan is a pirate or being chased by pirates, and it really wouldnt be hard to extend the genre to include other countries

I want to either find, or combine, rules that will allow me to play a game with boarding actions, and still have heroic main characters, but still allow for some variable ship types(this should be able to cover ancients to renaissance) and i was thinking 15mm. Something with a limeys and slimies quick feel to it.
    any suggestions?

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I am subscribed as this appeals.

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

hopefully it wont be just the two of us lol
    although i am thinking that maybe i can use burning sands, but rather than have the boats be controlable by the players they are essentially mobile terrain that is just fought over. So the boats will always come together as that is what they would want, to fight, and then the battle just takes place on a more mobile battle field.. but that seems like its missing something out

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So I have almost finished painting the new Middle Period Simurgh buildings, once they are on the site I can concentrate on the Burning Sands Chroniclers Companion.
    Then when that is done, I was going to do some more pieces for the Open Steppe, then was thinking about adding a fourth region to the existing ones.
    I was thinking some inland sea, kind of like the Dead Sea, but maybe bigger.

So that would tie in nicely.
    I may have a hunt around for some pirate rules.

As you say, whilst the whole idea of making the tabletop some ships that have been boarded, there is defo more to be had from this.

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

that fits the genre nicely..while conan himself mostly sails the coasts on the ocean, many of his adventures take place around an inland sea. its perfect.

i was going to use a mix of limeys and slimeys and my galley sally. but i cant find a copy of MGS to test out. I recall playing it many many years ago, against the duke too. I must have been 11-13 years old.   Anyway

the two ways to do it are skirmishy, like burning sands, in which case the boats being movable terrain is fine. Or you go one level up and have units of guys running around, each player with one or more boats. that last one sounds like limeys and slimies! but you need rules for oars, and no cannon obviously.

in the comics it seems conan gets reasonably generic fantasy boats, they look somewhat like pirate ships, but with no cannon ports. In the books he has galleys, caravals and carracks. Plus outriggers.

what is cool is like conan land battles it allows you the option to field ahistorical units and armies against each other. plus magic and monsters. and i think for this magic is something that can be used more.
    wind magic to help move your ship, or stall another
    water magic to do the same

in conan the buccaneer there is a stygian wizard who sits on the bad guys boat and summons green tendrils to cause people on the princesses ship to become frozen for a short period of time. he says an hour, but it could be variable turns, and variable amount of the crew ect.

seems like a neglected part of conan, and i would really like to have belit the tigress and some africans on the table!(not that i dont have plans to do this in 28s, just not the boat!)

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Not really what you are looking for but as a basis for ship to ship warfare, you could try Galleys and Galleons?

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

got a link or more info as to where i can get a copy? id be more than happy to check it out. Part of what i want to see would be how other people handle the ship movement ect. (this is why i want a copy of my galley sally.. but it may not work as i recall)

when i was younger i used the sword and the flame for combat and troop movement and limeys and slimies for ship movement and combat. Worked pretty well.  I am hoping i can do something similar with Burning sands.

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Thomaston
    Participant

Interested in seeing this done.

So the boats will always come together as that is what they would want, to fight, and then the battle just takes place on a more mobile battle field.

Maybe a few rounds of firing arrows and bolt throwers before the boarding action.

Tired is enough.

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

indeed. but that can all be the same rules used in the land based game. especially if its arrows or things that cant damage the boat anyway(and in this instance as the boat is terrain more than it is something that can be sunk, you cant sink the boats)

But you wouldnt need anything special rules wise for that, no boat rules, by making the boat terrain you are taking all the rules for moving it, damaging it ect from the game to really simplify it. again this would work but feels like something is missing. i have to try it out i guess

Thomaston
    Participant

Could make the various fighters move to different stations on the ship to sail it, example; to sail faster someone has to go unfurreled the sail and to board the enemy ship might need to close up the distance and someone to grapple the ship with the other side tries to cut the lines or maneuver away. I’m thinking expanding a single boarding roll in naval games into a whole mini game.

Tired is enough.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So Burning Sands has rules for climbing, jumping, swimming and drowning.
    Which is a start…

I would be inclined to have either a mini game with small ships to ascertain the closing period and who boards whom, using some pirate/naval rules maybe?

Then once the ships are together or about to be, go to the normal table top rules and play as a conventional game.
    Maybe add rules that if someone loses HTH and takes damage, depending on where they are they may fall overboard.
    Setting fire can cause fear or panic, so have rules for that and putting fires out before they spread.
    Some sort of swinging from the mast rule of course.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I would be inclined to have either a mini game with small ships to ascertain the closing period and who boards whom, using some pirate/naval rules maybe?

Yes, a mini game indeed.  BUT, I don’ think you need another separate set of rules books for this.  You can skip the fleet maneuvering by using some abstract rolls based on crew and leader skills to see who has the advantage when boarding comes, and just what that advantage is (like whether the disadvantaged ship has lost some crew during maneuvers, or the hull has taken some damage already, or the advantaged crew boards a part of the ship unchallenged because the target crew are out of position and disorganized).  It can basically act as scenario setup for the action part.  And he abstract part doesn’t have to be too complex.

Now, if you want a game of ship maneuver then I’d say you’d have to either come up with something simple or use a whole different set of rules.  The only thing I have played with galleys in it is an oooold THW Roman period game that ran very quickly, but I do not recall it having anything that could relate to the sail appointed ships of Conan.

I do very much like the idea of the ships (evenbeing just terrain) being bale to take damage, especially from fire.  Makes the attackers a bit more careful if they want to take their target intact.  You could even have repairing the ship be part of the process of the campaign and a reason to keep the characters taking jobs to pay for it.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

given the nature of the game, it would be implied that the attacker is trying to board and catpure the defender, not sink him. Usually in the stories they are intent on taking the ships.

Two things too.

1. in most of the stories they lack any weapons on the ships to do enough damage to sink it. In conan the bucaneer then mention a catapult on the front of the pestrel, but most of the other stories there is just some ineffective bow fire before they hit and go to hand to hand.
    2. most ancient ships did not sink, even when they had been pierced by rams. They were built in such a way as to keep afloat even when holed like that. usually they needed to be capsized(something they did with grapple hooks, thrown to the top of the mast and pulled) to sink. Granted the hole from ramming would lead to the ship being unstable and capsizing quicker.. it still didnt sink

essentially all the ship to ship moving and chasing is done off screen before the game started and narrativily has already happened(that is sort of how burning sand works) so you wouldnt need rules to do ship combat. that is also WAY more bulk than burning sands needs, its a simple streamlined game.

adding in ship movement and combat would require new shooting rules as well, and something for larger shots like bolt throwers and other heavy stuff. Again not sure that is in keeping with the rules.

Devon Start
    Devon Start
    Participant

Optimally you have two different compatible games you run. Burning sands will clearly work for the land based actions and the role playing parts of the conan style story.

so you have one game half where they players get to the mysterious island and they fight in boats.. maybe they have to run a blockade or something. Combat might be bigger and more “massed” but the way skills and skill checks for heros works the same. so you can use the same character sheet.

When you get off the boat you switch to the more tradtional burning sands game as you explore a template or whatever

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

We’ve been doing 28mm medieval games with ships, you need a simple rule to move the ships (depending on wind and pre-planned moves etc.) then it’s just the same shooting and fighting rules than on land, there are no cannons able to sink ships as in later periods.

https://euthanasor-wargamesetmodelisme.blogspot.com/

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    http://www.anargader.net/

Thomaston
    Participant

What I was thinking of making this work within Crom/Burning Sand rules.

The ships would work as moving terrain, to close the distance someone or someones has to climb the mast and work the sail. Say the number of successes is the number of inches of distance the ships get closer or further away depending on who won. Feel free to shoot arrows at people trying to manage the sails.

For boarding, someone has to graple, harpoon or plank the target ship, it’ll bring the ships into contact and work as a single terrain. Or they could swing across individually.

Tired is enough.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.