Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Conan – What Inspires You?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So to start my quest I went through my minis collection and I actually found a total of One (humanoid)miniature with chest hair.

An old Ral Partha firbolg giant

No, sadly,  the very manly copplestone northman does not have any chest hair 

And so the queste continues…

Keymaster

green stuff and brush it with a toothbrush sideways for the hair effect.

Participant

Hmm, I may try this out on one of my unpainted copplestone barbarian archers, when I do I’ll post the results( if they are not to terrible)

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

Oke so here’s my first try at a more “manly” barbarian.

I present to you Thomas of Selec aka Magnimus the barbarian

I can’t help it, after giving him his awesomely manly chest I just couldn’t leave him with such a baby face so I gave him an awesomely manly mustache.

I wonder how he’ll paint up…

Participant

Manly is good. This is Hyboria, after all! Looking forward to seeing him painted up.

Participant

Works for me. The name alone makes him worthy!  And that lip warmer, woo!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Now that’s a macho barbarian Stroezie!  There’s no unseeing that chest rug.

By the way, thanks for the welcome messages, Daryl and Michael.  I’ve done some more work on my king.  Think I just need to find a model of a dog or lion/tiger to lie in front of the throne now.

Participant

Wow that’s dead on!
    To bad it’s a conversion of an existing mini or I’d urge you to get it into production.
    I’d buy that in a second!

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Participant

Jon, that is just incredible. Maybe you should send him to AB to slide a new figure into the Crom’s Anvil line.  Be sure to show him once painted up!

Daryl

Participant

It’s the appendices of  The Royal Armies that will probably be of most interest, it gives a brief run down of most of the kingdoms, a breakdown of their armies ( for the rules that make up the majority of the book ) which should be adaptable to most rule sets and describes any flags, banners and uniform details.

Keymaster

What are peoples favourite Conan story?

What are peoples favourite Conan story?

For me, The Tower of the Elephant. I know, I know, boring answer because it’s such an obvious one… but not a boring story!

I like it for a number of reasons: It has more pathos than most other Conan stories; It adds a lot of nuance to the quasi-Lovecraftian horror aspects of the setting; Zamora is one of the most flavourful and distinguishing locations of the Hyborian Age; and the “thief fantasy” format of the story, with all the roguish shenanigans and circumstancial plot twists that subgenre entails, makes it a fun read.

People of the black circle for me.

I love the range, sorcery both good and bad, princesses that want to avenge and cause harm to enemies,  tribes and skirmishes in desert locations, intrigue, so much of it really captured me and this is pure escapism with all the Conan cliché trope things in there.

The motives of the characters, clearly the supporting characters have their own life and past, magic items and foul sorcery.
    The hillmen, the allies and there is just so much about it that I really like.

I like it so much I am failing to make sense!

Participant

Favourite story? – By Crom that’s a hard decision – so much to choose from….. From pure escapist adventures like Beyond the Black River to the more Lovecraftian eldritch tales such as the The People of the Black Circle mentioned above…..

for me two stand outs, that I find myself re-reading the most:

Red Nails – a bit sleazy in places, but a tale that has everything – once decadent civilisations fallen to barbarism and worse, giant prehistoric monsters, creatures groping about in the darkness, crazed slavering fanatic protagonists, and the Cimmerian accompanied by a strongly realised female character – okay, she does play the damsel in distress role a bit too much, but…..

and talking of females, have to also say The Queen of the Black Coast – what more could you ask for? – Belit who can give our favourite barbarian a run for his money, and a tragic, elegiac ending, full of pathos, that explains much of our hero’s brooding dark-eyed far away stare…..

I received a lovely collection of Conan comics for Christmas, a combined volume of various Savage Swords issues type thing.

But can anyone recommend some colour Conan and or Red Sonja comics/graphic novels?
    The black and white comics have given me some inspiration, but I suspect colour would be even betterer!

Well I bought some anyway!

I also found in the back of the one I bought, some cutsie artwork that looked aimed at children, a quick search and I turned up this…

LINK

I wonder if my daughter will like it?
    Only one way to find out..

Participant

Last year I got a blu-ray player and one of the first films I bought was Conan the Barbarian (the original)

Anyway, I finally got around to watching it the other night and I believe that it has a few extra bits in it compared to the DVD release … has anyone else noticed this? it’s not much – one bit is at the end, the rescued princess has a couple of scenes with Conan going through Thulsa Doom’s tunnels

Having watched it, I then got the Destroyer & Red Sonja! 

So now I am inspired and expect to be more so after Friday evening!

Keymaster

has anyone else noticed this? it’s not much – one bit is at the end, the rescued princess has a couple of scenes with Conan going through Thulsa Doom’s tunnels

Yes, though I don’t have a blu-ray player but have seen these extra scenes somewhere, it makes more sense as it explains how he gets back in and up to the balcony with Thulsa Doom and so on.

I have also been watching:

Hercules
    Prince of Persia
    Scorpion King
    Sinbad

Whilst the setting is not correct, the sets and costumes are a good fit I feel.

Participant

Well I bought some anyway! I also found in the back of the one I bought, some cutsie artwork that looked aimed at children, a quick search and I turned up this…  LINK I wonder if my daughter will like it? Only one way to find out..

This is right up my alley.

Happy posthumous birthday to the big man.

Participant

Who is bringing the cake?

Keymaster

Who is bringing the cake?

I would pray to crumb the lord of cakes, but he seldom listens…

Participant

Remember, the cake must be smokily baked in the dazzling campfires of desert nomads in the depths of night, soaked in heady wine taken with the brazen force of a wild animal from the cellars of a now-trampled-underfoot priest-king, and made redolent with far-travelled spices for which many brave warriors have slain each other in blood-exalted battle.

Do make sure to grease the tin.

Remember, the cake must be smokily baked in the dazzling campfires of desert nomads in the depths of night, soaked in heady wine taken with the brazen force of a wild animal from the cellars of a now-trampled-underfoot priest-king, and made redolent with far-travelled spices for which many brave warriors have slain each other in blood-exalted battle. Do make sure to grease the tin

😀

I am now expecting inspiration to be posted to me on a regular basis..

Participant

A while ago I came across the free audiobook versions of many of the Conan stories at Librivox.org

https://librivox.org/author/937?primary_key=937&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Robert E Howard’s books are available at this address.

regards,

Paul

The Emperors Library - A World of Military History

Keymaster

Yeah I listened to a lot of those, though ended up getting them via Audible.

Participant

A while ago I came across the free audiobook versions of many of the Conan stories at Librivox.org

Thanks for that!

Participant

Some more Conan comics are coming but from Glenat this time.

Previews here:

Link 

Link

I’m liking the look of the Black Colossus one, The Queen of the Black Coast one…    …not so much at least I think it’s supposed to be The Queen of the Black Coast.

The third panel looks like it might be from Beyond the Black River, another good one.

I’m liking the style of the last one to but as to which story ? I have no clue.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Not sure about the artwork, more perusing required.
    But the public domain thing is proving of interest, possibly for some upcoming project I am working on…

New Conan TV show?

LINK

Participant

Uh-oh, I’m going to try to not get my hopes up, but it sounds like they could actually make a pretty good go of it.

Participant

New Conan TV show? LINK

So when thinking of scenario ideas how do you do it?

Do you come up with the idea then find the models to fit, or see some models and they inspire the scenario.

What if someone did what Alex has done HERE and released a pack/set that has the figures and terrain along with a scenario booklet?
    What if they did this on a regular basis?

Oh and what would pay for a pack?
    Say 5 figures or so and the applicable terrain plus scenario rules?

£25.00?  seems a lot at first for a one off scenario, but of course you can re-purpose the models after  😀
    And it is defo cheaper than a night out.

Participant

I like this idea!

Participant

Like I said in Alex’s  thread,

I would definately be up for something like that!

But then I am a lazy gith

£25.00 for 5 figs 1 or 2 pieces of terrain ( depending on size/complexity) and a booklet with background fluff /senario?

Maybe add some cards people can cut out for use with The Chronicles of Crom’s Anvil?

Do one or two this year to test the waters and then next year a years subscription for a quarterly magazine with miniatures, it’s going to be grand I tell you!!!!

Sorry got a bit carried away there 

No but in all seriousness, I think it would be a great idea, this year’s releases could easily have been divided up like that imo.

For example:

Shaman, tribal leader, tribesmen and sacrificial stone/site of power plus a tribal background/rescue the sacrifice senario.

(first five to order get a free pack of skulls)

Man I drank way to much coffee…

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Ha, that is kind of what I was thinking.

Once the rules are done, I can put some scenario packs together without the need for new products.
    Then once that is up and running for a bit I can do new packs.

Can you drink too much coffee?

Participant

Just chiming in to agree that this might prove very popular. There’s something fun about ordering  a package deal in anything, where much of the groundwork is already laid, and this could be a real boon for lazy gamers. I haven’t really followed the new rules posts (maybe I should fix that), but if they use cards, and you include new, scenario related cards with each release, this becomes even more attractive. One word of warning: several games I own have released card upgrade packs full of neat new ideas, but the backs of the different card issues don’t match (one is a slightly lighter shade, for example), so one can always see what iteration of card they are drawing. If there’s any way to protect against this I’d look into it. That aside, exciting developments, Michael! I’ll watch with great interest.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.