Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Contention report part I on the blog

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

I’ve posted the first part of my report about this year’s Texas Broadside convention over at my blog. I had wanted to cover the entire blog in one post. Unfortunately, the length of my first battle report regarding the game I ran made me realize that it would take two posts. Please come by and check it out:
    https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Interesting scenario and one so frequently found in history but never in games. Well done!

Lately, I’ve been dipping my toes into Napoleonic naval fiction. (Very little impresses me after O’Brian, buy hey, what’s a guy to do?) Are you familiar with the Alexander Clay books by Philip Allan? Enjoyable reads. I just finished book 4 with a fog scenario in it and was kind of wrapping my head around how to replicate it on the table.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Jeff,

Thanks.  I do get tired up convention games that are just “line ’em up and shoot,” so I try to come up with different ideas.  I was afraid that there wouldn’t be enough action for the players, but got lucky and had a couple who also enjoyed off-the-wall scenarios.

I haven’t read any of the Alexander Clay books.  My favorites are Forester and O’Brian, although not necessarily in that order.  In high school/college I read the Richard Bolitho books by Douglas Reeman (aka Alexander Kent), but not all of them.

The convoy scenario works great for foggy weather.  You just put a grid on your mapboard and put a marker in each box.  Only the gamemaster needs to know what’s what.  I’m still not too sure about how to do a battle, with people popping in and out of visibility, like Calder’s Action.  Dummy movement markers when out of range, perhaps?  That could very complicated very quick.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.