Home Forums Air and Sea Air Control of Multiple Aircraft, including Solo Play

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Don Glewwe
    Participant

NOTE: This discussion began elsewhere.  It’s been moved here to it’s own thread for ease in locating in the future.

…how you implement the solo aspect. Do the “player” actions also be formed/forced by the mechanic? IE are ALL planes AI or just one side?

I think the answer to the latter is ‘all’ since I didn’t take a single side and let the AI control the other (so I really have only myself to blame for all of the mistakes).

As to how the actions are formed/forced:

The choices in the game for each pilot are fairly broad: Which area to be in/go to and which enemy (or friendly, in the case of formations) aircraft to target (if any).  For movement (including staying in the currently-occupied area) the intensity/difficulty of the flying done is also chosen.

In addition to experience, each pilot has two characteristics that guide/modify the choices and their outcomes: ‘Points’ in a pool (that is refreshed each turn) that are used to do stuff, and ‘Pluck’ that reflects how keen he is for battle.  For example, I’d use experience and points to determine a pilot’s awareness of a situation (as when Kurt failed to notice Harry), pluck to influence the difficulty-level of the flying (as when Fritz bent the wings to turn back near the end of the game), and points to affect the outcomes (which -being a limited pool reduced by damage- can only be used for a couple tasks, or in the case of rookies like Kurt or Fritz: usually just one thing per turn).

The vagaries of action choice are then further clouded by the game’s ‘fog of movement’ which -via variable movement rates, area placement, and skill tests- makes it pretty much impossible to know (as a player) how the table will look at the end of a turn, so that the best any plan made can do is direct the general flow/purpose of the action.  I usually begin each game with a general objective for each side (or sometimes: specific pilot) that is used to provide this overall guidance for the choices made over the course of play.

The system (if it can even be called that) is far from sure and contains more handwavium than firm dictates, but since -for solo play- it’s  effectiveness in providing enjoyment lies squarely on the shoulders of the user I think it’s good enough as a framework that each gamer can tweak to fit personal taste.  dunno…a warm body across the table is always preferable, and for those occasions the system serves to allow control of multiple aircraft without too much ahistorical coordination.  Getting a large-ish group of players around a table at any time to field many models is a hurdle for the genre, and I think this system works well enough (if not anywhere near great) to allow two players to get a flight (or two?) of toys on the table for a game.

https://brawlfactory.net/

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Following here.

So if you could a basic set of rules would be appreciated. Even as a work in progress it will get us thinking on the same lines. The other thing is re-reading your post above I feel a table or chart would be the way to go to determine actions.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

…a basic set of rules would be appreciated.

I assume you meant in regards to the AI-type system?  I’ll see what I can cobble together from my various notes and corners of my brain.

https://brawlfactory.net/

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

…a basic set of rules would be appreciated.

I assume you meant in regards to the AI-type system? I’ll see what I can cobble together from my various notes and corners of my brain.

I guess primarily but even broad brush strokes of your ideas for the game rules will help define how everything works together. You oftentimes need to know how things work or how the designer was thinking to SEE the reasoning or effect of some specific parts of rules. Thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.