Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Cool Frazetta Fantasy painting

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How come nobody mentioned I can mix Crom with my Sci fi terrain?

Untitled by oldben1[/url], on Flickr

Keymaster

John Carter, Batman of Mars?

Participant

I didn’t see that logo, didn’t even see the man standing there, was too distracted by the person to his right.

Pulpy science fantasy – the dream!!!

Participant

How come nobody mentioned I can mix Crom with my Sci fi terrain?  

You mean you don’t? 

Participant

I love the way the woman looks faintly bored at the prospect of being attacked by a ten-legged lion. “Oh for heavens sake John, just kill the bloody banth and let’s go and have lunch.”

a ten-legged lion. 

Where did you get 10 legs from? I can only count two. I thought the beastie must drag its legless hindquarters, giving it the speed of a spavined Series C Mercedes Benz. In which case, the young lady was looking bored because a gentle exit to Stage Right would mitigate the need for any nasty stabbing etc.

donald

Participant

I did get it wrong, a banth is an eight-legged lion native to Mars. I assume Mr Frazetta put the rest of the beast behind a rock because he couldn’t be bothered to paint all the other legs.

Actually, this young woman doesn’t seem terribly scared of them either:

Maybe they really are just big pussy cats?

My apologies. My knowledge of Fantasy literature is clearly woeful.

However, 8 legs seems to be redundant to any terrestrial* animal. Perhaps the creatures are easy to trip: not impossible given their baw-heided appearance that must fatally alter their balance. This might explain the two pulchritudinous  women’s lack of fear (though not their lack of attire. As my good mother would have addressed them, “Come ben, ya husseys. You’ll catch your death.”)

donald

• by which I mean land-based
    Participant

I think the Lion is the hero in these paintings, note the man laying by it’s feet.

Participant

My apologies. My knowledge of Fantasy literature is clearly woeful. However, 8 legs seems to be redundant to any terrestrial* animal….

Spiders and scorpions tend to get a bit upset if you snip off their legs.

My apologies. My knowledge of Fantasy literature is clearly woeful. However, 8 legs seems to be redundant to any terrestrial* animal….

Spiders and scorpions tend to get a bit upset if you snip off their legs.

Apologies. I should perhaps have written “terrestrial vertebrates” have 4 legs or the vestigial remnants of same.

So why, on earth, do all vertebrates have but 4 appendages? For vertebrates, four limbs is the pattern that won out through evolution. The lobe-finned fishes that first started climbing out of the water had four fins, which evolved into four limbs on early tetrapods. Why were four limbs better than six? As far as I know, nobody knows. Maybe it was more efficient in some way? Whatever the reason, the four-limbed template won, and the descendants of those four-finned fishes now rule the world.

So turning to Mars, I would like to know what evolutionary advantage extra sets of limbs bestows? A larger heart to allow greater blood flow & a larger brain to control & co-ordinate the movement of limbs would be necessary. Both are “expensive” in terms of evolutionary change. So what is the advantage?

I’m afraid I cannot bring myself to believe that multi-legged lions live on Mars despite the seemingly compelling evidence provided by the two pictures.

I assume photo shop or some other tricksy device?

donald

Keymaster

So turning to Mars, I would like to know what evolutionary advantage extra sets of limbs bestows? A larger heart to allow greater blood flow & a larger brain to control & co-ordinate the movement of limbs would be necessary. Both are “expensive” in terms of evolutionary change. So what is the advantage?

Paint more than one figure at a time?

Participant

Apologies. I should perhaps have written “terrestrial vertebrates” have 4 legs or the vestigial remnants of same. So why, on earth, do all vertebrates have but 4 appendages? For vertebrates, four limbs is the pattern that won out through evolution. The lobe-finned fishes that first started climbing out of the water had four fins, which evolved into four limbs on early tetrapods. Why were four limbs better than six? As far as I know, nobody knows. Maybe it was more efficient in some way? Whatever the reason, the four-limbed template won, and the descendants of those four-finned fishes now rule the world.  

One well supported theory is that there was a common ancestor that somewhat resembled a modern starfish, with five ‘arms’ which eventually became four limbs and a tail. https://www.newscientist.com/article/2119741-ancestor-of-all-vertebrates-was-a-big-mouth-with-no-anus/ and http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/diversity/labguide/echinchor.html They’re closer to us than we are to insects/arachnids, who of course have 6-8 ‘limbs’

There’s a lot of interesting, if technical work going on with genomics, tracing back to common ancestors.

Paint more than one figure at a time?

You paint with your feet?!?

Holy Christy Brown!!!

donald

Participant

It certainly “looks” like I paint miniatures with my feet!

You can mix it up even more, If you like:

Participant

Is that the planet known as ‘Plumbers Crack’?

Participant

Uh, hello people,

“Planetary Romance”

Look it up and then stop trying to make sense of it and enjoy it for what it is.

I mean you might just as well try to apply basic physics to just about any modern action movie

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Uh, hello people, “Planetary Romance” Look it up and then stop trying to make sense of it and enjoy it for what it is. I mean you might just as well try to apply basic physics to just about any modern action movie Cheers, Stroezie.

whimsy

or whimsey
    [hwim-zee, wim-] /ˈʰwɪm zi, ˈwɪm-/
    noun, plural whimsies.
    1.capricious humor or disposition; extravagant, fanciful, or excessively playful expression:a play with lots of whimsy.
    2.an odd or fanciful notion.
    3.anything odd or fanciful; a product of playful or capricious fancy:a whimsy from an otherwise thoughtful writer.

My posts probably lost something in translation.

donald

Participant

No no it’s all good!

Just me having a bit of a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

moment.

Plus, ditto on the lost in translation thing.

I think sometimes even us non-native english speakers tend to forget that english is not our first language

2x cheers,

Stroezie.

I think sometimes even us non-native english speakers tend to forget that english is not our first language 2x cheers, Stroezie.

I like to think Lallans is my first language though I speak & hear it, sadly, very infrequently now. I’m moderately fluent in English.

cheers, donald

Participant

You’ll still need a Scottish-Queensland interpreter though…

Is that the planet known as ‘Plumbers Crack’?

This is the “Invasion of the Flying Phallic Symbols” episode.

Participant

I’m only fluent in sarcasm…

Fraz had so many great paintings a covers.  My Colony-15 line was originally supposed to be very much in his tradition, mixed with a little bit of Space Viking from HBP.  Alas the line stalled out due to lack of interest and the main sculptor deciding to halt all “other” work so he could do Beyond Gates Antares… (can’t blame him at all!)

Now, I’ve never seen an commercially available structures as appear in his art, but I have seen plenty of home made stuff using easter egs and large foam hemispheres.  They always look nifty but just wouldn’t be commercially viable.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

When it comes to fantasy terrain, I’ve always wanted to do some inspired by Hannes Bok:

Participant

I think Daemonscape games comes close with their 6mm desert domes.

Perhaps a Crom’s Anvil design?  If you made one or two buildings they would probably mix well with simpler adobes(HINT HINT)

I can totally see Christmas lights in the design.

Participant

Maybe something like this with some outer towers and spires?

Looks like a possibility.

Here are a few more of his:

That last one would be a bit impractical,  admittedly.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.