Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Count down to game time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Our little group will have their first game of ‘General D’armee this Sunday. I’m hosting the game so have chosen the scenario, prepared the table & have provided the two armies (Russians & Confederation of the Rhine). It’s taken a lot of time to get everything ready & I suspect I’ll be the only one with any familiarity with the rules.

I haven’t had time to run a full practice game, unfortunately.

However, on Sunday night I did “deploy” a Swedish Nap force (infantry, cavalry & artillery brigades) & an equal sized 3 brigade French Line force on my painting table & I’m running through the game sequences, albeit in cramped & terrain-less circumstances. Every night that I can spare I will run some more of the “game”.

General D’armee is not as complex as some rule sets but still reasonably “dense”. In general, the rules are pretty straight forward but there’s quite a number of caveats eg  “However, if the target of the skirmishers is cavalry within charge distance, then they may not fire” etc. All very logical once you learn it.

Some points from my painting table games:

“Tasking” your ADCs. As you know, ADCs can be assigned to brigades to give them “special powers”. For example, 2 ADCs can be assigned to an infantry brigade to allow it “Infantry Assault”. Essentially, this means you can attack with a battalion + supporting battalions which gives an attack a real chance of success. However, you don’t really have enough ADCs & I find I am attaching the available ones singularly to brigades so they stay under command* (ie they will move, fire etc but not as effectively as a “tasked” brigade).
    *You get to re-roll a brigade activation if you’ve assigned an ADC for the possibility. If the brigade fails its activation, it does nothing that turn.
    Movement is a whole lot less rigid & restrictive than our former Napoleonic set of rules. This isn’t to say you can move anywhere without any rule-imposed boundaries but moving & manoeuvring is *not* the focus.
    One example is the ability to “side step” 5cms. You’d be surprised how this alleviates “traffic jams” in deployment. Another is the inclined advance. You can wheel if you like but this inclined advance makes moving forward in a straight line but at an angle to your previous position easy.

At any rate, I think we will be proceeding slowly on Sunday. The pay-off will be future games as I really think this rule set is a winner.

donald

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Deleted User.

Thanks for the info.  I’m actually kinda confused. About the rules.

I tried to Google it. To find out just what it is.

There is no clear “what it is” write up. They also make mention of general de brigade but that isn’t a TFL game, but general d’armee is?

Also given the name i expected it to be grand tactical like Blucher, grand agree etc.  But the basic unit seems to be the battalion.  Unlike those grand tactical games were the unit is the brigade.

So I’m slightly confused.  Sadly there isn’t any free “intro pdf” that gives this info.

Norm S
    Participant

There are 7 very good short YouTube videos that the author put out earlier this year that give a good explanation as to nature and design philosophy.

They are also a sister set the  ACW version (Pickett’s Charge) released last year.

To date, everyone seems to love them and I have not read a single criticism – which for a Napoleonic set is probably unheard of!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Norm S.

GF, as Norm wrote, the You Tube vids go a long way in explaining the rules.

Additionally, the rule book is pretty well written. It doesn’t have an index, though.

The QRF sheets (2 sheets, 4 packed sides) actually leave a few tables off (not enough room?). I really think a sheet with the Full Turn Sequence (like Field of Glory has) would benefit it.

However, I am not anticipating many problems on Sunday. Sure, I’ll undoubtedly miss a few bits as you do with every new rule set but the rule should give a fast game that feels like Napoleonic warfare & will challenge players. What more can you ask?

donald

Thanks.

Strange the videos didn’t show up on my Google search.

Try this GF:

“To date, everyone seems to love them and I have not read a single criticism”

It’s a nice thought but someone will always carp. On another forum (no, not THAT one), there’s a hate-fest going on about GD’a limiting the use of skirmishers for Russians. And another group (in Scotland) have actually re-done the QRS to allow howitzers to fire.

Of course, as far as I’m concerned, everyone should be allowed to modify the rules to suit their peccadilloes. I probably will.

donald

I got in a few more practice rounds of firing and a melee last night.

You can see why it’s ‘fast play’/simple in many ways ie hits on volley musketry, artillery & melee are on 4,5 & 6s on D6 (only 5 & 6 for skirmish fire).

There are relatively few modifiers.: mostly order, class & formation related. Easy enough to remember after a few games, I think.

Rallying from Retreat, Unformed, Lost Fire Control are all automatic if you don’t move the next turn. Almost uniquely, I think, there’s no actual Morale Stage.

But some points:

Modifiers can give you extra dice (“Casualty Dice”). And take them away, too.
    For example, my Large Swedish cavalry regiment )heavies)  successfully charged a Standard  French Dragoon regiment (campaign cavalry).

It was 8X D6 to 4 X D6. Not surprisingly, the French routed. (+ good versus poor rolling, as always).

NB supporting units allow you to re-roll some poor dice. It didn’t help the French dragoons this time. And they burst through their Supporting Dragoon regiment behind them.

“Hits” are recorded and units disperse once they reach a critical number but at the same time, certain numbers of “hits” may cause you morale issues (NB there is no Morale Phase as such in the rules: it’s ongoing. See above with rallying). Retreat, Rout, disperse.
    Thus in the example above, the dragoons recorded 6 hits & dished out 1 and  it was the difference in scores that caused the Rout.

Units, brigades & indeed, your whole force can dissolve quite quickly. In the example above, the French cavalry brigade had only 2 units. Once one routed, the whole Brigade “faltered”. It failed a command roll next turn & was dispersed (effectively only the routed unit & the Unformed unit who were burst through). Even if it had passed, the Unformed 2nd dragoon regiment would never have been allowed to rally with the Swedish Dragoons at their throats.  Result: no more French cavalry…….  NB Keep a Reserve
    Skirmish screens are very useful. Although there’s Bounce Through, it allowed a screened Swedish infantry Brigade to close with minimal casualties even though a French infantry brigade fired three times at them.
    Skirmishers were hit (& taken off: the figures ever removed) but you can form new skirmish screens (via an ADC tasking) if you lose yours. Useful.
    I’m very much looking forwards to the real game on Sunday. I plan to re-watch the official videos today as a final preparation.

donald

How did the game go?

Thanks for the link to the videos, it looks very interesting, and I new see the connection with General de brigade and General d’armee

I’ll have to buy the rules next time I got some spare money.

How did the game go? 

Very, very well. I’ll knock together a report + photos by the weekend – I’m a bit busy at work this week.

There are a lot of Napoleonic rules out there & there must be many good ones. However, it looks like we’ve found the rules for us.

donald

BTW do you have an Ipad/notebook/laptop? I want to leave the hard copy in my bookshelf & just take an electronic copy to my next game of G D’a. Would you consider buying the PDF?

I usually buy both, the pdf is ok just to have if I’m on the go.

But I do prefer a physical copy, as I find it tiresome to read on the PC over a longer period of time.

I really like the Republic to Empire rules, but I’m always looking for new rules.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.