Home Forums Renaissance Covenanter tactics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

The first game with my new ECW armies should happen about in late October. The Covenanters are done & the Royalist English are about 70% complete. I’ll host the game for a bunch of my pals. The two armies will be equal in points (800) but the Royalists, of better quality, will have fewer units.

I’ve been refreshing myself with the rules (Field of Glory: Renaissance), running a few drills, rolling some dice & to be frank, the Covenanters look rubbish.

How to win?….or at least not lose too abjectly?

A battle plan of course depends on the terrain. It will be representative of lowland Scotland, so a fair measure of hills, some woods & rough ground and about 60% or so open. I’ll more or less follow the rule book in setting up & then give my opponents choice of side.

I think I’ll need to look for a terrain item to anchor a flank on. Ideally, it’ll be suitable for my rough ground troops (a dragoon unit & some Highlanders in skirmish order). If there’s enough of it, I’ll put my Highland “warband” in a wood or something as they tend to get annihilated by mounted troops. They may get a chance to make a mad charge against enemy infantry or guns.

I think a line of artillery (2 medium & 4 light guns) which is more or less immobile, in front of my Pike & Shot regiments (6 in number: 1 Superior, 4 average & 2 poor) which can be in 2 or 3 lines, better troops to the fore. They can advance through the gun line after a few shots from the artillery to engage the enemy.

A flank guard or reserve will be a suitable role for my 3 units of Horse (2 lance & 1 pistol armed). TBH, I think I’ll upgrade them to 2 average & 1 poor. Anything worse & you may as well not have them. Two can be “brigaded” with Commanded musket unitsย  to give them some punch. They won’t be going any where fast & will hopefully only have to charge already damaged enemy units. The plan will be to break enough of the Royalist Foot to win the game.

The Royalists have 5 units of Cavaliers (2 elite, 3 Superior), some artillery & 5 P&S regiments (3 average, 2 poor) and a Firelock unit (no pikes but rated Superior). Pretty obviously, they’ll seek to pin the Covenanters with their Foot & either seek a flank or wait to charge any damaged enemy infantry units which they’ll have a good chance at ‘rolling’.

Any comments, suggestions or advice will be warmly received.

donald

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Mr Obvious says that the biggest problem you have (and the real thing had) is not enough cavalry. Once the Royalist cavalry break yours it’s over, assuming that the Royalist cavalry don’t chase the routed remnants of your cavalry into the next county then stop off on the way back to loot your baggage train that is. You can but hope.

Mr Obvious advises sticking your cavalry behind the infantry, in reserve. Concentrating your artillery on the enemy horse. Shoving your dragoons behind a hedge to harass the enemy horse a la Naseby, and praying for lucky die rolls. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mr Obvious also mentions that a wild Highland charge into the flank, or better still, the rear, of formed infantry can be an…interesting tactic if you can pull it off.

But you’ve thought of all that. Yes? ๐Ÿ™‚

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Hi Donald,

The standard “advice” for Covenanter owners in FoGR is to “take the minimum amount of cavalry, and use that and your poor foot to support your better units”.ย  I think you have pretty much sussed that out, including keeping your highland mobs in broken ground to protect them from cavalry – although in all the times I’ve played against Covenanters, whether I was using Royalists or New Model (both with lots of superior horse), the highlanders’ warrior status would carry them through any melee, provided they are not hit in flank or rear.ย  Chequer-board your foot and make them come to you – if there’s no suitable terrain for the highlanders, keep them in the rear to charge into any gaps created by broken units (most likely yours, but you never know with good dice….).ย  Alternatively, use P&S units to protect your flanks – even elite Cavaliers won’t do well charging steady foot – with highlanders ready to charge into anyone disordered – and don’t forget their 4″ charge move, so you can always halt just 7″ away from the enemy (so just outside long musket range) and know that even if he moves forward a full move in his turn, he still won’t get a short-range shot in at you, before you charge him in your next turn.

Just in case you had wondered how many units you could get onto the table with an “all poor army” – do NOT even try it out for fun (because it won’t be).ย  A friend of mine used one in a competition (I think he ended up with about 30 units) and the term “domino effect” does not do justice to the apocalyptic nature of the collapses (plural) his army suffered in each game.ย  Of course, it didn’t help that this was probably the only competition he has ever taken part in where he threw more 6s than his opponents!

Ta, chaps. Fortunately, I usually only win in months with an “i” in them, so losing isn’t that important (& no tournaments for me).

I’ve tweaked the FoG:R lists as much as I darest without turning them into a sort of “New Model Covenanters”. The Commanded Muskets are a bit of a cheeky addition. And I’ve minimised the ‘Poor’ units as much as I can butย  the real problem (as CS points out) is a lack of good quality mounted.

There is an option of fielding an army of “Engagers” who fight under English command &, hence, get some Cavalier Horse but any self-respecting Scot would prefer to lose rather than suffer that particular indignity.

Anyway, I’ll marshal my loaded dice & let you know how I get on.

donald

I should add, it’s not all ‘doom and gloom’ on the ECW front. When my pal Dave finishes his Royalist Scottish army, the Covenanters will have a foe with even less cavalry & a real shot at beating Montrose’s men.

He thinks he can complete the tartan-swathed Teuchters about Christmas time (if the Scotch holds out). I’ll lull him to a false sense of superiority by letting him lead the English Royalists to a string of victories beforehand….mind you, given my wargaming ability, it’s probably a genuine sense of superiority.

donald

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Bear in mind that even though his army was lacking in cavalry and artillery Montrose won most of his battles. ๐Ÿ˜‰

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Etranger
    Participant

Bear in mind that even though his army was lacking in cavalry and artillery Montrose won most of his battles. ๐Ÿ˜‰

and who had an almost suicidal disregard for scouts and pickets …

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

and who had an almost suicidal disregard for scouts and pickets โ€ฆ

Like most wargamers then ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.