Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Crealty 0.2mm nozzle worth it and source?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

Ok, 3d printing guys (I am looking at you, John), a few questions even though my Crealty Ender 3 Pro is still not in yet:

1. I have been watching a lot of fo videos, is it worth it to go ahead and get some 0.2mm nozzles?  I have been watching videos, and I am thinking I use the stick 0.4mm to print terrain and the 0.2mm for detail work like small scale tanks, etc. Is it worth it?
    2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, then what is a good source?  I was looking on Amazon and there is a bewildering array of supplies, with wildly varying reviews.

Thanks in advance!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Patrick,

Stick with the .4mm for now.  It will do the job.  It’s the layer height, after all, where you will see your best gains in detail and clarity.  The Ender-3 is rated at .1mm but I’ve been sending stuff to the printer at .08mm layer height.

Since you are relatively new to 3D printing, I can only recommend that you learn everything well using the .4mm nozzle.  Once you are comfortable, then you can decide, based on the results of your many hours of printer, whether ot not it is worth getting the smaller nozzle.

John

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

JozisTinMan
    Participant

Ok, I will stick with the 0.4 for now.  My first practical application with be vehicles for my 10mm Korea project, and I will focus on printing an M26 Pershing until I get it the best that I can. I am going to use the 1:200 vehicles on Thingieverse, but scale it up by 133%.

Follow on question… is it better to do scaling in your slicer (I have installed Cura) or to load the STL to something like Tinkercad and rescale it?

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

It’s easier to just let the slicer do the scaling.  I’ve always done that and had only 1 problem with a barbarian figure.  The sword was apparently 2 objects.  When I scaled it up, his great sword turned into a great short sword.  It was just the top part of the blade.  Very weird.  I’ve had no problems with tanks though.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I agree with John. Get used to the quirks of 3D printing before trying finer prints. I use 0.2mm for small stuff (6mm scale) and it definitely prints better than the 0.4mm nozzle with the same layer height of 0.08.

I always let the slicer do the resizing and that is one of the big benefits of a 3D printer, is that you can rescale stuff really easily. eg I brought a 28mm farm set from Printable Scenery and I have printed it in 28, 15 and 6mm, but the quality of the design does effect how well it will resize.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.