Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket Crimean War Uniforms Book?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    General Slade
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably comprehensive book about British uniforms in the Crimean War?  I’ve got the Osprey, which is okay but a bit lacking in detail.   I haven’t managed to find anything currently in print but there are a few second-hand options and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them?

Uniforms and Weapons of the Crimean War by Robert Wilkinson-Latham:

Crimean Uniforms: British Infantry by Michael Barthorp

Ideally I would like something that covers the cavalry and artillery as well but it seems like I might need to get separate books for them.  The Holy Grail would be a book that covers all the combatant nations and includes lots of pretty pictures in colour but I am pretty sure that doesn’t exist.

OB
    Participant

Caliver have at least one book, a wargames guide or some such but it’s not comprehensive-nice enough though.  I painted my Crimean War armies with info mainly found on line.

Can’t comment on the two books above.

Good luck with the search.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

cmnash
    Participant

I’ve got this at home – An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Military Uniforms of the 19th Century, which can be got here:   https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0754819019/

Unfortunately, I can’t remember the extent of the Crimean War coverage in it, but I can have a look tonight if you want?

Colin

General Slade
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys,

@Colin

I think that the encyclopedia might be a bit general for what I am looking for.  I looked at it in a bookshop when it came out and if memory serves there are only a few pages on the Crimean War.

cmnash
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys,

@Colin I think that the encyclopedia might be a bit general for what I am looking for. I looked at it in a bookshop when it came out and if memory serves there are only a few pages on the Crimean War.

That’s my (questionable!) recollection as well … still, my curiosity is piqued now, so I’ll have a look and post later anyway …

cmnash
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys, @Colin I think that the encyclopedia might be a bit general for what I am looking for. I looked at it in a bookshop when it came out and if memory serves there are only a few pages on the Crimean War.

That’s my (questionable!) recollection as well … still, my curiosity is piqued now, so I’ll have a look and post later anyway …

Oops … sorry, completely forgot to do this last night … will try to remember to have a butcher’s tonight

Alan Millicheap
    Participant

I’ve got the old Raider Games booklet Crimean War Basics: Organisation & Uniforms. This covers Britain, france & Sardinia. There is also a Russian & Turkish booklet.

As the title says it is basic ie for uniform info there are 4 pages for the British, 2 for the French & 1 for Sardinia. However it does pack a lot of information into 44 pages

Alan

Edit: There is a copy here PaulMeekins.co.uk

General Slade
    Participant

Thanks Alan.  I’ve actually got those booklets and as you say they are very useful and pack in a lot of information.  However, I was really hoping to find something with some nice uniform plates.  I’ve found something for the cavalry but nothing so far for the infantry and artillery:

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Just have everyone wearing overcoats.

General Slade
    Participant

Just have everyone wearing overcoats.

All the Russians are but I want my thin red line to be red not grey.  Anyway, the figures I’m using have got their greatcoats neatly rolled on top of their backpacks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.