Home Forums General General Crom’s Printer

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

So, I hinted at something new direction-wise for Crom’s Anvil.
    It is early days and I am still very much learning and practising, but hopefully in a month or so I will be able to use this and offer it out to you to make use of.
    I am just experimenting with 10mm models at the moment but will be printing a 15mm barbarian model I found online for free to see what sort of resolution it will do.
    I am guessing from the 10mm they will be ok for wargames standard when it comes to the figures.
    For terrain and things I suspect they will be fine as people generally require less fine a finish.
    I will be adding printed items to the shop in due course and printing things for peoples personal use.

Participant

It has a remarkable similarity to a wood burning stove.  Are you sure you’ve bought the right thing? 😁

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Very interesting and it does look like a wood burning stove.  I’ve often fancied getting stuff printed.  If you were offering that service you would be my first port of call.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Very nice Mike, Anycubic are in my comparison list at the moment. Really looking forward to your thoughts on how it performs. I’ve been using a Prusa PLA printer but the resolution isn’t great for small miniatures. I think resin is the way forward for gaming pieces.
    Good luck and don’t forget to wear PPE when handling the resin.

All the best

Ian

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Very nice.

Are you using the slicer software that came with it? Try Lychee instead if you have problems., it’s a bit more versatile IME.

…and use water washable resin. It’s a bit more expensive, but worth it for removing the hassle of using IPA to clean up. H2O is cheaper than IPA too 😉

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

Yup using the one that came with it.
    I have tried Chitubox but the Anycubic one seems fine atm.
    Am doing with the resin.

Participant

The Riddle of Resin! Well, I’ll be interested to see how it turns out, for one! It seems like quality is improving as time goes on, so keep us posted on your progress!

So here is a 15mm Barbarian with a spray of primer.

There are visible striations which in all fairness would prolly take less than a minute or two to quickly sand off.
    But I wanted to see how it turned out raw.
    Next I will slap s0me paint on it and see how it looks.

I suspect for wargames tabletop standard it will be fine.

The sculpt itself was quite smooth it reminds me of those early GW days of plastic figures from boardgames like Talisman.

Possibly print some to suplement your 10mm Warhammer?

Keymaster

Possibly print some to suplement your 10mm Warhammer?

Indeed, printed those first, still playing about with that.
    The good thing about that is the digital models are 10mm tall, so I print them bigger to match my 13mm Pendraken 10mm fantasy.

😀

Participant

Interesting……you always have something up your sleeve.

So here it is painted.

Now, the lines are visible up close and I won’t be using my printer to print things I can buy in resin or metal.
    BUT, 5 hours ago I did not even have the figure.
    Now I have it and it is painted.
    I played some WFB and whilst The Empire drove out the Dark Elves my wee man was printing.
    It took about 2 hours and cost so little it really is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

For my own use it will be great for things that no-one makes and it will be great for satisfying that, oooooh I wants it now urge.
    It will also allow the production of fiddly things such as cages, which would ordinarily be multipiece casts and they can be printed less chunky so many fiddly things may look more realistic.

So whilst I am still going to buy metal and resin, I will print the things that no-one makes.
    It is kind of addictive.

BIGGERER

Very nice, those look like scale armor.

Other things you could play around printing would be odd animals for your Burning sands villages. Caged geese and snake in a pot?

Loose weapons for scenic decorations?

Participant

Now that is nice! Paints up well. Looks a little like the Hero Quest barbarian but with more clothes on.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Keymaster

those look like scale armor.

They are, now to be fair I could not tell by looking at the figure, but looking at the render it was obvious.

Yeah I can print wall torches, hanging stuff, market wares, flags, banners, chairs, thrones, all manner of stuff that can be print on demand and does not warrant a £70 production mould.
    My mate has done numerous baskets and weapons already so will try those soon.

Also need some tokens and markers for games so can print them too.

😀

Now that is nice! Paints up well. Looks a little like the Hero Quest barbarian but with more clothes on.

MUSCULAAAAARITY

Participant

Very nice looking model, now all you have to do is program the printer to do colour and no more painting.

Keymaster

You can get colour 3d printers but they are PLA printers.

Crom’s devils, what foul creature is this?

Printed a 28mm figure:

How was the learning curve with the printer? Did it take you long to get a usable print or was it great from the get go?

If only you had the printer when you were in your 6mm phase. You could have printed a lot of crates and vehicle stowage as well.

Still learning!

There is a guy that does support free 28mm figures, the sculpts are not amazing and they have some limitations due to them being supportless, but they all print ok.
    My Crom’s Anvil scatter terrain is shaping up ok, the 10mm stuff is quite nice and I have been messing about with animal shaped meeples and stuff.
    Printed some cannon balls for my 10mm WFB and some other stuff.

Lots of things to tweak and slight errors/flaws can have huge knock on effects.

Just this moment checked a print to discover it failed about 40 minutes ago, such is life.
    Need to clean up the resin vat which I think is a job for tomorrow, sorry @Whirlwind those fences will be a morning job now.

Some 15mm things I have been playing with.

Interchangeable center bits.
    You could leave it empty too!

But it will be worth it for the lewt.

Participant

Oh very nice! Love the tentacles

Looking forward to the new scatter terrain

Participant

Some fun bits there. And yes, those tentacles are awesome!

Participant

A barbarian could open up his very own “Croms Very Fresh Calamari Emporium” with a summoning bowl like that!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

That crossbowman is a very nice looking model, cut off the crossbow add a metal spear and you have a lovely spearman too match, you could make a nice army with them.

More messing about.

Some generic 28mm guards printed for 15/18mm and loot and some brazier / torches type things, those are a bit small so will try again about 20% bigger.

Whilst I am still sussing out the machine I am happy to quote on files you find and want printing.

Was about to ask if you’ll be offering printing service. Looks like a possible way to compensate for loss of resin casting?

Keymaster

Thats the plan!

Plus Samantha and I will be opening a general craft etsy store.
    I will be mostly 3d printing meeples and tokens and stuff.

This is the first print of the revised wares pack.
    33 items that will be printed on demand and added to the site next month as a pack.

The next pack will be crates and chests.

Also printed myself a 10mm inn/tavern.

Participant

That is a very nice looking building.

Keymaster

I am not fussed about the inside so was rough, but it even had little wall mounted torches:

How much was printer, if you don’t mind me asking?

Keymaster

End of line model now superceded so it was a bit cheaper, but £180 iirc.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.