Home Forums Renaissance Cropredy Bridge: A Polemos Refight

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please see here for a re-fight of the Battle of Cropredy Bridge 1644, using the Polemos ECW rules.

Participant

How do you get around the tempo bidding system to play Polemos solo Whirlwind?

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I thought I’d had a conversation with Whirlwind about this somewhere, but I can’t find it. Best I can see is a comment on the Nantwich refight  – that led me to search his blog. That has an explanation of what he was doing at one time to turn it into a solo friendly mechanism.

Whether this is still his preferred method – looks as if it would work (I haven’t tried it yet) – I don’t know.

With any luck he’ll be along shortly with the answer himself.

(If not, as I say, his blog may hold the key!)

Re Cropredy

Thanks for the write up Whirlwind – excellent as always.

Accounts of Cropredy are confused at best.

I think you may have been a bit mean with the cavalry figures for the Royalists – total cavalry with Charles numbered c4,000-5,000 in 4 brigades – so probably nearer 2,000 in Cleveland and Northampton’s brigades? And at some stage (maybe later than the time frame your action covered – although Brooks* reckons it had an effect on the outcome) the King’s lifeguard made an appearance as well, coming back from Hay’s bridge and checking Middleton’s horse.

Your Royalists may have had a better chance of following their forbears victory in those cirumstances!

Lovely write up – just the right level for me – thanks.

*Richard Brooks, Cassell’s Battlefields of Britain & Ireland (London: Weidenfeld and Nicholson, 2005) p.447

Participant

How do you get around the tempo bidding system to play Polemos solo Whirlwind?

For Polemos ECW and Polemos SPQR I just throw a D6, since Tempo bids have to be between 1 and 6.  I don’t roll to generate the tempo points each turn, I use a constant to reflect the quality of the general commanding (so brilliant commanders are assumed to throw a ‘6’ every time, poor commanders are assumed to throw a ‘3’ or ‘4’ every time). For other rules in the Polemos system where there isn’t a limitation on bids, I use the biggest(?) die; so if Wellington has 14 TPs per turn he’ll roll a D12 for his tempo bid, whereas Junot with 9 TPs per turn will roll a D8. Hopefully that makes sense.  More here.

Participant

Thanks both. Now I have another set of ECW rules to add to the list 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

The joys of tweaking and house rules 😉

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.