Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Cruel Seas – Full Review

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Having submitted a “quick look report” on Cruel Seas last week I finished my full review and posted on my blog.

http://dtbsam.blogspot.com/2018/12/a-review-of-cruel-seas.html

I’d say it is a good set of starter rules, great to bring new players into the hobby and the naval genre, it just needs a bit of work….

Participant

There’s an awful lot of passive-aggressive bitching on Another Site about the errata.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

I didn’t expect the list to be so long. Thanks for the review.
    Looks like it was poorly researched and rushed. I’m most disappointed about the lack of crew, despite being the excuse for 1/300.

Participant

I’ve read your review DM. The rules as they stand seem to be unclear, incomplete and badly proof read. Publishing errata less than a fortnight after release doesn’t bode well. I wonder how much play testing went on?

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I like the models but glad I decided to wait to buy any.

Participant

Good review David. It sounds like some ‘polishing’ of the rules might be needed.

Participant

Thanks for a decent informative review that manages to be critical without throwing the dolly out of the pram, unlike some comments i have seen elsewhere.

It does sound like Warlord need to issue a free replacement v2 rules to any one who has currently purchased v1, as and when they correct the deficiencies you noted.

I will still buy into this during 2019 as it does look good, i am just glad i decided to wait a bit first!

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

There’s a number of walk through videos (including this one from the designer that goes for about 90 minutes) that make the rules look simple & quite tempting.

I am by no means a naval wargamer & have been tempted by AoS stuff but the thought of building rigged sailing ships!! This looks very do-able.

donald

Oh and DM: thanks for the review. Being a complete novice, I don’t even know what I don’t know so any expert commentary is invaluable.

Participant

Very thorough review, many thanks!  A friend is very interested in jumping all-in into the game (we played some 1/600 coastal many moons ago with PT Dockyard boats) but I think after reading your review he may back off and keep with the more realistic game we have been playing, if for nothing more than the rules seem so rushed, and their history is bad…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

We’ve played a few games with 1/600 scale ships on a 6’x4′ table. They’ve been fast, furious and fun. Emphasis on the “game” rather than the “war” in wargames.

Knocking up stats for the few ships we have models of but which the rules don’t cover has been reasonably simple.

Tramp steamers have been sunk or saved, downed aircrew rescued or captured, spies landed or drowned and much enjoyment has been had.

Small selection of Tumbling Dice 1/600 scale stuff now painted (see below). Heroics & Ros Coastal Forces stuff (3 Vosper MTBs, 2 “Dog Boats” and a Steam MGB) still shiny silver!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.