Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Cruel Seas: problems?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Etranger 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

I have been looking at what the internet says about this naval game.

I will admit to finding it attractive & may well soon commit to buying it.

I have found a number of critical reviews (one or two quite hysterical ones) but this one seems very plausible:

Cruel Seas: A Naval Officer’s Perspective

On one hand, it seems a tad more concerned with reality than I’d be but I’m interested in the views of those that game it. BTW is the rule book a bit of a disaster, with the pages of errata? Any comments on any aspect of the game will be of interest.

donald

Blackhat
    Blackhat
    Participant

I have enjoyed the games of Cruel Seas I have played.  It is a fairly light, quick game but as Naval Wargaming isn’t one of my main interests it fitted with what I am looking for.

The complaints about 10 pages of errata are somewhat disingenuous as it is only 10 pages because they have reproduced the pages so you can cut them out and stick them in the book – it would be a lot shorter in normal errata format.

Mike

Black Hat Miniatures -
    http://www.www.blackhat.co.uk/

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

His rules mods seem very doable, and make sense.  Might not make the game as fast, but might not bog them too much.

And his historical citations lead to some pretty good reads to boot.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

McKinstry
    Participant

We’ve been playing and enjoying it for about 4 months. While there are a few glitchy things so we’ve adopted a few of David Manley’s alternate rules and as has been stated, the errata isn’t that much. My single biggest complaint was the accumulation of splash markers making things easier to hit but we’ve simply ignored that bit with an excess actually making it harder.

I was initially reluctant due to the larger scale than what I’d normally play but the models have been fun to paint and to give credit to Warlord, look pretty good on the table.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

I’m well aware that ‘nay-sayers’ proliferate whenever anything new is launched.

However, I’ve read a complaint (whinge?) that the models lack clear instructions to make them. Not so?

donald

McKinstry
    Participant

The build instructions are few and far between but between some YouTube videos, some stuff Warlord has produced and mostly just looking at the finished models on the Warlord website, I haven’t had any issues with assembly that a bit of looking around the web couldn’t solve. There is also the Naval Wargames and Mosquito Fleet Facebook groups that can answer any question.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Etranger
    Participant

I’m well aware that ‘nay-sayers’ proliferate whenever anything new is launched. However, I’ve read a complaint (whinge?) that the models lack clear instructions to make them. Not so? donald

With a photograph it isn’t hard to work out what goes where, there aren’t many parts after all & they’re pretty simple kits. There are basic instructions online anyway https://www.warlordgames.com/cruel-seas-assembly-leaflets/  and there are tips in the WL forum too.  (IIRC they’re also in the the boxed set, I’ll have to take a look later). anyone who’s put together a plastic kit shouldn’t really struggle with these.

One problem is that there were so many variations in fit out between vessels that the Warlord models as built from the box may not be truly representative. That said, there are plenty of photos around & lots of advice online in various forms. Warlord, to their credit are now making additional weapons sprues etc to allow for the customisation of vessels & there are a lot of third party products on Shapeways etc.

If you do Facebook, here’s one active independent group,  https://www.facebook.com/groups/286537142167028/?ref=bookmarks You’ll find David Manley there, as well as on this site.

Ruleswise there are several alternatives around & DM has a new set due out so (in the Northern Summer?) which I expect will be up to his usual high standards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.