Home Forums WWII Crusader AA Mk I

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Admin Test Account
    Participant

The author of this topic requested their account be deleted.

This topic has been kept by attributing the original post to an admin account, and replacing the initial wording by the now deleted user with this.
    To have deleted the topic in its entirety would also have deleted the replies of others, and it is not fair that their postings be effected.

– Mike.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Admin Test Account.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Mike.
    Etranger
    Participant

Hi Tim, I’m glad you posted this here, as otherwise it would get lost in the noise ‘elsewhere’. I think the reason why you can’t find many photos of the fully enclosed version was that it only existed in prototype form & never saw operational service. “All” the photos that I’ve seen of the real thing are of the same vehicle, taken in the same session whilst at Bovington for evaluation. I do have a reference somewhere to support that but it’s buried in storage at the moment.

The enclosure was just too small for practical benefit & accordingly production versions largely did away with it. Here is some detail including plans for the turret. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001267-crusader-aa-mki-bofors/

From  that link, the second vehicle shown was known as the “40mm SP AA Gun (Tracked). It was a completely different design and they were built at Mill Hill in London alongside the very similar triple 20mm (the 20mm SP AA Gun [Tracked])”. If you look closely at the photo you can see that it has a standard Bofors gun shield, with attached side extensions, rather than a bespoke design.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Etranger.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Etranger.
    MartinR
    Participant

Oh no! I’ve got a 20mm Mark 1, and three 6mm ones. More than the entire production run…

A very handsome vehicle IMHO.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Etranger
    Participant

Flames of War players sometimes deploy more vehicles than were actually built. I’ve got a third of the entire production run of Char2C and a fair proportion of all the BuFlaK ever built.

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Hi Tim,

Sorry I can’t help with production numbers or dates, but they were almost exclusively the preserve of Corps Light AA Regiments RA/RCA, with some also turning up in Armoured Brigade HQ AA Troops (which might also have been provided by the RA/RCA, though I’m not sure about that).

I’ve never ever found them belonging to Armoured Regiment HQ AA Troops.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Sorry, that should have read Corps AND HIGHER Light AA Regiments RA/RCA.  A lot of the examples pictured in Normandy have markings showing that they belonged to 21st Army Group Lines of Communication Troops.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.