Home Forums Modern Cuba Libre – Cronistria Fight #1

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

This is the first fight in my next campaign, following the Cuba Libre saga. The short story is, Cuban exiles evicted the dictator, and now have created an expeditionary force available for worldwide deployment in the defense of freedom and democracy. You can see the full story here:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2015/11/cronistria-cries-for-help-aka-next.html

So a Special Operations task force is heading to the Balkans to help a fledgling democracy, Cronistria, break away from Yugoslavia. I will be playing this campaign in 20mm with Elhiem figures, using Ivan (Weasel’s) rules, “Five Men in Normandy.”

It’s 0645 on 5 April 1990, and Task Force Trojas has conducted an administrative move (clandestinely) into northern Italy or Austria (sorry, OPSEC rules prevent us from sharing the exact location 😉 ), staged its gear, and is infiltrating by team into Cronistria. Each team is crossing at a different location, with a different objective rally point and different partisan contact on the other side. All teams successfully crossed the frontier without incident, until it was GySgt Dos Santos’ Team 6-3’s turn (if you’re wondering why he’s a Gunnery Sergeant, it’s because in the CLEF, Special Operations come from any of the four branches of service).

Team 6-3 moved to the border, and had just crossed when things started to go wrong, which is why we’re here, right?

The opposing forces: at top are the five shooters from Team 6-3, while at bottom are the seven men and one armored personnel carrier of the Cronistrian National Guard.

Overview of the table, north is up. The table is about 3′ x 3′, with the frontier wire running north-south) at left. Team 6-3 will enter at left and must destroy the enemy patrol and/or exit ALL men off the right board edge. There’s a burned out house in the northwest, a small residence in the southeast, several patches of rough, rocky ground, several haystacks (concealment, not cover!), and a couple rocky outcroppings.

The enemy is trying to cut swathes in our line using its APC-mounted MMG.

Just for old time’s sake: wouldn’t be one of my batreps if I didn’t have somebody firing a rocket, would it? To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2015/12/cuba-libre-cronistria-fight-1.html

Wow, what a fight! And what a way to start off the campaign in Cronistria. The fight was fun, quick, plenty of drama and decision making, and things never go as you planned. One more fight to write up and post, stay tuned!

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Just Jack:

What in tarnations is an”accurized M-16″? Damn Cuban elite forces can’t even speak English! Are they special forces or Special Ed. Forces? Just skimmed the battle due to time constraints and I will give it a more thorough reading on Wednesday night. Thanks for posting.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Just what I needed !!!!!! But panda !!!!!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote – Not that Panda, these guys have nothing to do with anyone from the forums.

Rod – “Damn Cuban elite forces can’t even speak English! Are they special forces or Special Ed. Forces?”
    What in the hell are you talking about?

An accurized M-16 is one that has had modifications to make it more reliably accurate (better hold a zero, better hold a grouping, and provide a tighter grouping) and extend its maximum effective range on point targets.  There are various things done (forgive me, I’m not an armorer or a sniper), but the accurized M-16s had different buffer systems, different upper receivers (some were re-chambered for 7.62mm), some had free floating barrels, some had barrels made out of some different material (I don’t know what), some had threaded barrels to take a suppressor, they had different optics available, etc…  It was extensively done with the M-16A2 series of rifles, in the Marine Corps it was a non-standard alteration.

And hurry up.

V/R,
    Jack

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Just Jack.
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Oh my, there are other panda’s ???!!!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

My God! This abomination of a word – “accurize” is actually a word in the Oxford dictionary! It was first used in the 1950’s in Popular Science magazine! This is another sign of the coming apocalypse, for sure. What is the English language coming to? We should have never let the Normans and the Romans corrupt the language! Alas, poor English, I knew it well! Oh, and sorry Jack, I thought you were just butchering the language, but it seems that somebody else did that about 65 years ago. So, I take my comment back. The Cubans are just “Special”.

Cheers and enjoy the end of civilization.

Rod Robertson.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Kyoteblue:

As extremism of all types polarizes our modern world, things become more black and white. So yes there are more and more pandas spreading their Manichean world view! Beware the two-tone bear!

Rod Robertson

Just Jack
    Participant

Easy, Kyote, seems Rod here is not at all up on his book learnin’, probably needs a little time to update his vocabulation.

This is what happens on those rare nights when acamedicians step out of their hallowed halls and stumble into the riffraff 😉

Now get back to the actual batrep.

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Oh Rod is just Rod….but he does need to read the AAR……

Just Jack
    Participant

Amen brother.

And next Rod will be insisting that acamedicians isn’t a real word, or vocabulation…

Just goes to show that the high and mighty aren’t always so mighty! Though he may be high 😉

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Heard Canada was going to make it legal all over…..damn may have to get up that way…

Just Jack
    Participant

Hippie…

kyoteblue
    Participant

Yep….grin….

Rod Robertson
    Participant

High on Maple Syrup maybe but nothing else. Just ate some raspberries too!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Is that what Y’all call it up in Canada ????

Just Jack
    Participant

Maybe the raspberries had been accurized, and Rod didn’t even know!? 😉

V/R,

Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Just Jack:

That was a good little skirmish game. Pity about Willow but Panda the Catalan put a bit of stick about. Looking forward to #2 which I will read tomorrow morning. Thanks for posting and the rock outcropping was a refreshing break from carpeting.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod,

Thanks man, hopefully these will be a whole string cool skirmish fights, and this weekend I’ll also be starting a campaign in 15mm that is roughly platoon vs platoon level.  Yes, the carpet has been replaced by the outcroppings, but only for these skirmish fights, it will get busted out again in the future.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not the carpet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Well, it’s all I’ve got.

I do recall someone saying they were making me some real hills.  Now, if only I could remember who that was…

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

That was me and I’ve been doing some test work on those…..but it’s too cold to work much in the garage right now. So till it warms up I guess you will just have to use carpet….

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by kyoteblue.
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Just Jack:

I seem to recall someone loudly declaring he would use carpet hills no matter what and would ignore any Oklahoma hills which found their way into Texas. I too, wonder who that was. I guess we’re all having senior moments today.

And please tell the War Panda in your next e-mail to him, to get off his duff and post about Operation Martlet already. He has been slacking off badly since he emigrated to the land of Frostgrave.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I wondered what happen to War Panda….

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod,

I did say that, but then I went to OKC and met with Kyote.  On the one hand, I’d become ready for some real hills after hearing you guys howl about my carpet.

And on the other, Kyote showed me he could make some really good looking hills, so I acquiesced.

Mans now I need those hills to halt the aforementioned howling, so no senior moment.

And I have no idea what the heck you’re talking about with Willow/Sauce.  If Willow is cool in English, why wouldn’t it be in Spanish? Sauce means Willow, not Sauce 😉

V/R,

Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

Oh, regarding Martlett, we just completed the Patrol Phase, and I just issues my first set of orders.  I’m sure we’re waiting on Shaun, due to the time difference.

Jack

Shaun Travers
    Participant

At the risk of hijacking one thread by continuing with a offtopic discussion (“hey, but isn’t that what the internet is all about”), I am actually home today form work as my brother is out from the UK and staying with us for a few days.    SO I have sent in some orders.  But we will return to normal time difference delays soon.

Just Jack
    Participant

Excellent, both our orders are in, so it’s in the hands of the Panda now.

So, what are you doing?  It’s okay, you can trust me 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

It’s a trap Shaun !!!!!!

Whirlwind
    Participant

Great report, thanks

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Shaun Travers
    Participant

Possibly not a trap, if it was Jack would not be so obvious – or maybe that is why it is a trap.  Possibly Jack is more devious than any of us realise 🙂

A few years ago, I bought the War Histories of the 7th battalion, part of the 43rd Wessex Division. It covers in detail the events from July 1944 to May 1945.  I have wanted to create scenarios based on the battle descriptions and I have done the first one, a company game, to test out my company rules that I have (re-)written.  It is setup ready to play the first turn but we have visitors this weekend. I never realised how much work goes into scenarios – I must have spent 20 hours looking for a map of the area from WW2 on the internet and then converting it into a useable table to game on.  The battle itself will not be too exciting I think, but it was a good introduction for me to scenario design.  My dream would be to produce a scenario book with 20 or so company and battalion level games as the battalion progressed through France and Germany.

The current game will end up a very long blog post with the scenario and a replay.

kyoteblue
    Participant

That sounds great Shaun, I tend to just make up scenarios off the cuff…. It’s still a Trap !!!!

Shaun Travers
    Participant

I tend to use published scenarios – there are so many of them.  But then I thought “how hard can be be to create your own based on historical events?” Answer: “Harder than I thought!”.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I understand. I’ve just been doing this for 45+ years now.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.