Home Forums Modern Cuba Libre – Liberation Batrep 22

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

It’s 1830 on 2 Feb 1990, and the CLA’s Unconventional Warfare Group (UWG) sits astride the east-west running routes in the Escambray Mountains. The UWG has fought like lions, but has suffered terribly from regime attempts to reinforce its units in the west. The UWG has so far stood its ground, and scouts report to Colonel Huistrella that another enemy formation is approaching, this time in A Company’s sector. The enemy troops are members of the 90th Provincial Militia Company, 10th Territorial Infantry Battalion.

So far we’ve had:
    D-Day
    1) B Squadron SOF destroyed a radar site in support of amphibious landings at Playa Colorada (5). B Sqdn then egressed and linked up with CLA rotary wing assets for their follow-on mission in Havana (6).
    2) C Squadron SOF destroyed a the Cuban military’s communications center.
    3) 1st Para Battalion dropped in and seized a bridge to screen the landings at Playa Colorada (5).
    4) 2nd Para battalion dropped in and eliminated a Castro-regime garrison to screen the landings at the Bay of Pigs (just west of (4).
    5) 1st Marine Company, 3rd Infantry Battalion, made an amphibious assault at Playa Colorada.
    6) A Squadron SOF attacked a Castro-regime SAM site near Havana, which failed to clear the way for B Squadron’s helo assault into Havana.
    7) 2nd Marine Company, 6th Infantry Battalion, landed at the Bay of Pigs then turned east and ran into a strong enemy force, which it handily defeated.
    8) B Company of the UWG pursued and destroyed an enemy garrison in the Escambray Mountains.
    9) B Squadron SOF conducted an aerial insertion into Havana to seize a radio station and broadcast news of the invasion.
    10) 10th Popular Force Battalion seized and destroyed the Pedroso bridge to protect the Bay of Pigs landing site from the Matanzas garrison.
    11) 1st Airborne Infantry Battalion successfully fought off a regime counterattack near the bridge at Sandino, protecting the western (Playa Colorada) landing site from the Pinar del Rio garrison.
    12) 6th Infantry Battalion fought through an enemy ambush while pushing inland from the Bay of Pigs landing site.
    13) 8th Popular Force Battalion ambushed a mechanized column of the enemy 2nd Armored Battalion, just west of Havana.
    14) 2nd Airborne Battalion engaged enemy armored forces of the 6th Armored Battalion in the village of El Rincon, en route to the Bay of Pigs landing site.
    15) 4th Infantry Battalion’s 1st Air Assault Company conducts an air assault southeast of Sandino to counter enemy mechanized forces of 3rd Infantry Battalion (forcing 1st Airborne Battalion’s right flank).
    16) 9th Popular Force Battalion conducts a spoiling attack on the regime’s 7th Infantry Battalion in the Matanzas garrison.
    17) 2nd Air Assault Company, 7th Infantry Battalion, inserts east of El Rincon to block the escape of the regime’s 6th Armored Battalion.
    18) C Company of the UWG fought a running battle in the Escambray Mountains to delay/halt the regime’s 12th Mechanized Battalion moving west.
    D+1
    19) A Squadron SOF holds off the regime’s 2nd Airborne Company, 1st Airborne Battalion at the Radio Station in downtown Havana, while B Squadron SOF and 8th Popular Force Battalion move to reinforce.
    20) 2nd Airborne Battalion, attacks north of Sandino to eliminate the regime’s 4th Infantry Battalion.
    21) 7th Infantry Battalion, attacks north of Sandino to eliminate the regime’s 5th Territorial Infantry Battalion.
    22) Colonel Huistrella’s Unconventional Warfare Group fight another desperate holding action in the Escambray Mountains, this time against the regime’s 10th Territorial Infantry Battalion.

The opposing forces, with regime troops on the left and CLA on the right. The CLA is comprised of Minifigs modern Australians (‘modern’ being relative, they look to be Vietnam era), while the regime force is made up of Australians from Pendraken’s Vietnam Range, heavy weapons are NVA/VC/Vietminh from Pendraken’s Vietnam/Indochina Ranges, and an M8 armored car from Pendraken’s WWII Americans Range.

The CLA force has a Command Stand representing Captain Kalabera, six rifle teams, and a single leader figure representing the UWG commander. The regime force has a Command Stand, six rifle teams, an LMG team, an 82mm mortar team, and an antiquated, yet still functional, M8 Armored Car.

Overview, north is up. The Castro-force is expecting trouble, so is dismounted and fanned out along the right (east) side of the board. The CLA force is hiding on the back side of Hill 67, on the left (west) side of the board. The purpose of this is to avoid observation by enemy elements that could call in air/arty, sort of a micro-reverse slope defense. But they’re ready to spring their ambush, so, at the micro-level they shan’t be sitting tight, waiting for the enemy to crest.

Sitting tight would make sense if their goal was a short burst of fire to sow confusion, cause a few casualties, and slow the enemy mechanized force by making them dismount and deploy, then fall back. But then enemy is already deployed, and the goal is turn back the enemy, not hit and run; operationally, the UWG doesn’t have room to fall back, they’d end up in the Cienfuegos garrison. So, with these short ranges they’re better off seizing the initiative and lashing out at the enemy, rather than holding fast and potentially being overrun due to being caught outnumbered at such short range, or (more likely), being fixed in place by ferocious enemy fire at short range, then having enemy armor loop around the flank to eliminate them.

Colonel Huistrella is once again demonstrating personal valor in the face of the enemy, dodging a hail of enemy fire which just put one of his teams out of the fight.

To see how it went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/07/cuba-libre-liberation-batrep-22.html

Well, that’s the last of the fights on D+1, and the last of the fights I had yet to post. It’s Friday night here, and I’ll be looking to get a start on D+2’s fights tomorrow morning, posting them when I can, so stay tuned.

I’ll also be posting a D+1 SITREP, having already posted the D-Day SITREP. I’d beg anyone that takes a look to please leave a comment; I did the last one and it doesn’t appear to have garnered much attention, and no one said a word about it. I don’t mind doing it if it’s interesting/useful to somebody out there, but if it’s not, I’m going to stop putting the time in to collect the info and stats, type it up, and post it.

In any case, see ya real soon.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Great battle.  Looking forward to the next round.

Participant

Man that was a brawl !!!!  Thanks Just Jack !!!

Participant

Brian – Thanks man, I appreciate it.  I’ll try to put the next SITREP up tonight, the next batrep in a few days.  I just played two this morning, going to try to get two more in tomorrow.  And this sucks: looking at the photos above, I just realized that one of the fights this morning is on a very similar looking table.  I’m running out of map and scenario ideas!!!

Kyote – Yeah man, the Unconventional Warfare Group fights, and the Special Operations fights, in particular, have been really good, knockdown, drag-out fights.  Which is odd, because they are the most qualitatively superior troops, which should mean the fights are somewhat easier.

Take care fellas.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Looking forward to reading them, Just Jack.

Participant

Yikes Jack:

I go for a little over a week and I’m already six bat reps and two sit reps behind! Well, I’ll be getting caught up starting tomorrow.

Cheers until then.

Rod “I got Homework” Robertson.

Participant

Read fast Rod !!!!

Participant

Well, take your time, Sir.

Good to see you back!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack:

So you finally admitted it. You’re cheating to make the CLA side win. Well admission of a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.

An interesting battle and I liked how the M-8 handled itself. Distance is your friend.

Cheers and good gaming!

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.