Home Forums Modern Cuba Libre – Liberation Batrep 29

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

It’s 1100 on 4 Feb 1990, and the CLA’s 2nd Marine Rifle Company, 6th Infantry Battalion, supported by tanks of 3rd Troop, 5th Tank Battalion, are conducting the final assault to destroy the regime’s 6th Armored Battalion and secure the central city of Cienfuegos.

This is a major step in the CLA’s operations to overthrow the Castro regime; in the west, the CLA has advanced and, minus a few regime holdouts in Artemisa (just west of Havana), has the weak remaining regime forces in Havana in a vice. While powerful regime forces remain on the eastern end of the island, they are shielded off by strong CLA forces posted across the center of the island, and the fall of Cienfuegos is a powerful military and morale blow to the Castro regime.

The opposing forces, with CLA on the right and regime on the left. The CLA is made up of US infantry from Pendraken’s Vietnam range, with plastic Takara tanks, while the regime force is comprised of Argentinians from Pendraken’s Falklands range.

The CLA force has Captain Spirovales’s Command Stand, six rifle stands, two M-48A5 tanks, and single leader figure representing their Battalion Commander. The regime force has a Command Stand, five rifle teams, a MILAN Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) team, and an 82mm mortar team. After participating in four fights previously, this armored battalion finds itself with no remaining serviceable vehicles.

Overview of map, north is up, with a stream (fordable by infantry but not vehicles) running north-south and bridges at center (road) and top center) railroad). The CLA is on the left (west), coming out of the city’s downtown into the regime’s final line of defense in the suburbs of Cienfuegos. The poker chips are enemy blinds (black are infantry and infantry dummies, while the white chips represent the ATGM and ATGM dummies).

Rockets were back in full force, seen here a MILAN fires on Captain Basilone’s tank. To see the whole fight, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/08/cuba-libre-liberation-batrep-29.html

This fight was another beast, with the CLA awarding its third Medall de Honor (their highest award for gallantry). I’m looking to wrap up the Cuba Libre ‘War of Liberation’ this weekend, then start another modern project/campaign.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Oh my Goddess Just Jack, you have a real bridge !!!!! I am so proud of you !!! Now if you had real hills….. Good fight but Basilone is not a tanker he and Uncle Carl are Machine Gunners !!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

“…Basilone is not a tanker he and Uncle Carl are Machine Gunners !!!!
    Absolutely, Sir, and I’m glad someone knows about old Manila John!  I suppose I should have made him a Marine Rifle Company Commander, rather than a Tank Company Commander, but what the hey?

And yes, I’ve got a real bridge.  Does it look alright?  I didn’t know whether to leave it as is, or paint it gray.  I’ll never look as good as Panda (at least as far as wargaming is concerned; I tower over him likes he’s a Smurf in real life 😉 ), but I’ve been putting some resources into stepping up my game with regards to terrain.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Yeah I know about Basilone. You need a couple more bridges !!!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

ATGM = A Totally Gringo Machine! How could the Cuban Regime be that incompetent? Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Otherwise a good, if depressing battle. Must press on, must read, must finish …. tomorrow, I’m pooped!

Cheers Jack and thanks for your commitment to the hobby ( even if your loyalties bend the outcomes somewhat! He-he-he!

Rod Robertson.

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

Seriously, Rod, was it strictly necessary to take over 60% of the Latest Posts list this morning with these threads? If you think you were drumming up support for your friends blog then please have a rethink. I entreat you not to pull a stunt like this again, thanks and regards.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Alvin M.

There was no agenda here, Alvin, but I apologize if it really upset you. Just Jack has been admonishing me for falling behind on his blogs and I was just catching up! I’ve got a few more to get through so steel yourself as there will be another flurry of activity soon. While you are correct in thinking that I hold Just Jack in high regard, there was no motive to bump his blogs to the forefront of TWW. I just have been very busy with work and have only now found some time to catch up. I will try to spare others from my delinquency by spreading out my catch-up posts in the future but I am aware of no forum etiquette that says one can’t post in bursts. Am I missing something?

Anyway, sorry to have ruffled your feathers and I will try to tip-toe on TWW rather than running marathons once my backlog is cleared.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

Fair enough Rod and thanks for explaining. I apologise if my post came across like I was some kind of self appointed forum police, that was not my intention.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.