Home Forums Modern Cuba Libre – Liberation Batrep 6

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

It’s 0615 on 1 Feb 1990, and CLA Special Operations Forces’ A Squadron is on the outskirts of Havana (6). Their mission is to infiltrate and destroy a Castro-regime Surface to Air Missile (SAM) battery atop Hill 55, just west of Havana. This mission is in support of B Squadron’s upcoming mission, which will see them insert via helo (CLA UH-60s) into southern Havana to seize a radio station later this morning. But this will be no walkover; the SAM site on Hill 55 is guarded by elite troopers Castro’s Bodyguard: 1st Airborne Rifle Company, 1st Airborne Battalion, some of the few Cuban troops trusted enough to be be stationed in the capital of Havana.

So far we’ve had:
    1) B Squadron SOF destroyed a radar site in support of amphibious landings at Playa Colorada (5). B Sqdn then egressed and linked up with CLA rotary wing assets for their follow-on mission in Havana (6).
    2) C Squadron SOF destroyed a the Cuban military’s communications center.
    3) 1st Para Battalion dropped in and seized a bridge to screen the landings at Playa Colorada (5).
    4) 2nd Para battalion dropped in and eliminated a Castro-regime garrison to screen the landings at the Bay of Pigs (just west of (4).
    5) 1st Marine Company, 3rd Infantry Battalion, made an amphibious assault at Playa Colorada.
    6) B Squadron SOF attacked a Castro-regime SAM site near Havana.

The opposing forces, with regime forces on the left and CLA on the right. A pretty even up fight, which is not good for the attacker, particularly as the CLA SOF had only a slight quality edge over the Cuban paratroopers, members of “Castro’s Bodyguard,” the Cuban 1st Airborne Battalion.

The CLA forces have a Command Stand, five rifle stands, a jeep-mounted HMG, and a SMAW. The regime’s paratroopers have a Command Stand, five rifle stands, an MG, and a mortar. The mortar would play hell with the CLA commandos…

Overview, north is up. Hill 55, the location of the SAM battery, is at top right, with a small village at top left. The CLA SOF enter at bottom left near Hill 20. Regime forces are spread across the board, as are civilians.

Despite very heavy casualties, Captain Stelosavo and SOF Team 1 made it up Hill 55, within feet of the target, the enemy SAM battery, and then…

Check it out here:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/06/cuba-libre-liberation-batrep-6.html

What a fight, I can’t wait to hear what you think of this one. Three more fights to post.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

That was great!  Do you find yourself worn out at the end of the game from the emotional highs and lows?  I know I would.

Participant

The Commies held !!!! Ivan will like that !!! Um those hills….I tried to start making you some better looking hills Just Jack but Pearl the wonder dog had a fit when I turned on the shopvac…..

Participant

I thought about this game and if I was the Rebels I would have just mortared the SAMs and ran away.

Participant

Just Jack:

The Battle of Alfombra Colina (Hill 55) was a real nail-biter and could have gone either way. This was your best battle to date because the outcome was in doubt to the very end. I really enjoyed this one and was actually hoping that Tm1 made it to the top and got stuck in with the FAR troops on the summit. Excellent stuff and an exciting report. Well done, sir! What a sight that would have been, grenades ands bayonets on the peak. A Latin Mount Suribachi!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Thanks Jack, a ton of action in a small space, I love this kind of gaming.

Participant

Irish – Yeah man, that fight killed me, and it took forever due to the slow attrition of both sides.

Kyote – Yeah, all you commies will be dancing in the streets tonight.  I hear what you’re saying, but my opinion is that the mortar option doesn’t work (not to mention, we didn’t have a mortar team):
    1.  The mortar team can keep the crew off the SAM launcher, but not destroy it.  You need to get up close and personal to knock it out, unless maybe you use a .50 cal sniper rifle (“anti-materiel”) or similar.
    2.  Using a mortar to keep the crew off the launcher doesn’t work because the small CLA force can’t hang around forever.  The rest of the Castro company, if not battalion, is already on the way, so the CLA needed to hit, blow the SAM, and get out of dodge.

Rod – Carpet Hill, eh?  Bastid 😉  I was really hoping Tm 1 and the CO got ‘stuck in’ as well, but the enemy got the “Panic” random event, which couldn’t have come at a worse time…

Norm – Thank you Sir, it has been a lot of fun, and I can’t wait for this weekend 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I see your points Just Jack.  Hill number one started.

Participant

Just Jack wrote:

“Carpet Hill, eh?”. I write in Spanish and you write in Canadian, eh? This is a nice little cultural exchange we have going! But beware! First it’s ‘eh’, then you start eating poutine and drinking real beer, then it’s socialized medicine and before you know it you’re reading the Communist Manifesto and nodding your head! It’s a slippery slope down the Historical Dialectic, Marine, so watch your step and no skating!

Cheers and good gaming.

Comrade Rod Robertson.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.