Home Forums Modern Cuba Libre – Liberation Batrep 9

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

It’s 0645 on 1 Feb 1990, and CLA SOF’s B Squadron has regrouped after its successful mission to destroy a radar site on the western end of the island, and enplaned in three CLA UH-60 Blackhawks, en route to seize a building in southern Havana, home of “Radio Cuba.” B Sqdn will seize the radio station and begin broadcasting a pre-recorded message from the Cuban government in exile on a loop, to make the local population aware of this morning’s momentous happenings.

Garrisoning the area are troops of the regime’s 2nd Airborne Company, 1st Airborne Battalion, “Castro’s Bodyguard.” They are elite paratroopers and extremely loyal to the Castro brothers. Equally nefariously, nearby is a contingent of Iranian Revolutionary Guards (IRGC); the Castro regime is not doing well economically, particularly as the Soviet Union has begun drawing down support as it nears its own collapse, and so Cuba sought friends wherever it could find them. As avowed enemies of the United States, it was seemingly natural that Cuba and Iran become allies. This involvement by the IRGC in the CLA’s fight for liberation would set the stage for decades of enmity between the new Cuba and Iran.

Back in the here and now, there is a big problem: A Squadron was not successful in knocking out a nearby regime SAM site, and as the three-ship formation nears Havana, a missile rises from the jungle below and destroys one of the CLA helicopters!

So far we’ve had:
    1) B Squadron SOF destroyed a radar site in support of amphibious landings at Playa Colorada (5). B Sqdn then egressed and linked up with CLA rotary wing assets for their follow-on mission in Havana (6).
    2) C Squadron SOF destroyed a the Cuban military’s communications center.
    3) 1st Para Battalion dropped in and seized a bridge to screen the landings at Playa Colorada (5).
    4) 2nd Para battalion dropped in and eliminated a Castro-regime garrison to screen the landings at the Bay of Pigs (just west of (4).
    5) 1st Marine Company, 3rd Infantry Battalion, made an amphibious assault at Playa Colorada.
    6) A Squadron SOF attacked a Castro-regime SAM site near Havana, which failed to clear the way for B Squadron’s helo assault into Havana.
    7) 2nd Marine Company, 6th Infantry Battalion, landed at the Bay of Pigs then turned east and ran into a strong enemy force, which it handily defeated.
    8) B Company of the UWG pursued and destroyed an enemy garrison in the Escambray Mountains.
    9) B Squadron SOF conducted an aerial insertion into Havana to seize a radio station and broadcast news of the invasion.

The opposing forces, with Castro-loyalists on the left and CLA SOF on the right. The CLA forces are outnumbered due to losing a number of their men to the SAM battery A Squadron failed to knock out. The CLA force, with a Command Stand, five Special Operations rifle teams, an LMG team, a SMAW team, and a single leader figure representing CLA Special Operations, Commanding Officer: Colonel Donalo Quilveras. The CLA force is split into two groups (“sticks”), one for each of the remaining helicopters. The enemy has two Command Stands, eight rifle teams, and an 82mm mortar team. Four rifle teams and the mortar are Castro’s Bodyguards, while the other four rifle teams are IRGC.

Overview of the map, north is up. The target building is at far right. The CLA forces are not on the board as they will enter via helo, what you see are regime paratroopers and IRGC teams spread out.

CLA Special Operations inserts via UH-60 Blackhawk, starting an absolutely ridiculous battle. To see how it turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/06/cuba-libre-liberation-batrep-9.html

That’s the last of last week’s battle reports; I played four more games (10-13, with 14 set up and waiting) this weekend, so more to follow as soon as I can.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Holy cow!  What a fight.  Very surprised at the outcome.  Thanks for posting it.

Participant

Just Jack:

Another great report and what a nail-biter it was! Your frustration was palpable throughout your Bat. Rep. It was well written and honest emotion was evident. Good stuff! I was a little confused about the presence of IRGC troops in Cuba, but then I remembered that where you find carpets there are likely to be Persians near by, so then it made perfect sense! Well done and pour yourself a cold beer. You deserve a break after that one.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Wowzer !!! Hey where did you get the blackhawk’s ??

Participant

Thanks fellas!

Irish – Yeah, I was surprised too, a real back and forth.

Rod – I’m on travel again this week, hopefully I’ll have some time to write up more batreps at the hotel…  Glad you liked this one.

Kyote – Thanks man, and I’ve had the Blackhawks for awhile, got’em at Wal Mart (same company that does your toy UH-1 Hueys, Maisto).

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.