Home Forums Air and Sea Naval I like cute ships

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by OldBen1 OldBen1 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Thomaston
    Participant

I tried my hand at scratch building ships. It wasn’t as difficult as I thought it’d be but I wasn’t making them accurate to an class/design. The largest is 20mm long and smallest is 15mm.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Thomaston.

Life's too long.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I like cute ships and I can not lie
    You other sailors can’t deny
    That when a ship sails past with an itty bitty mast…

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

And a round stern in your face

Your mast gets SPRUNG

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

😂
    Cool ships Thomaston.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Thomaston
    Participant

Lol, I didn’t expect this to be a song.

Life's too long.

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I really like these, you could probably even use old battleship minis.

i would really like to do a big stomp robot project like this.  Any ideas?

Thomaston
    Participant

Can you give more details on the big stomp robots? With legs I think it’s easiest to convert and add putty onto 15mm or 10mm power armor.

Life's too long.

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

All joking aside, they are good looking ships.  Would you please explain a bit more about how you built them?

OK, back to jokes!  Clearly you’ve been reading this book:

Book Cover

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Thomaston
    Participant

The ships were plasticards filed into shape. Forcastle was another thinner card glued on top and another chunk for the super structure, funnel is the same but took a lot more filing down. Greenstuff for turrets. I made a molds for each ship and castes copies in putty. Took a lot of cleaning up afterwards but it’s better than filing plastic into each ship and get them looking the same 😀

Yup, that book as a wealth of resource, although I got the much updated 4th edition.

Life's too long.

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I love all the ingenuity, especially at such a small scale.  I wish I was a better painter, I found these microscales hard to paint.

As for the stompy robots, I would like to buy some 15mm mechs and some small ruined city terrain and have a big battle.  You could make up a few quick tables for different types of weapons.  Ironwind metals have some nice mechs.

Just Jack
    Participant

I think I’m starting to hate you!  All you’re stuff is so cool and clean, it keeps inspiring me to get into more stuff, and new projects are the opposite of what I need right now.  As usual, you’re stuff is super cool and I’m looking forward to seeing what else you’re getting up to.

V/R,
    Jack

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

So, did you use layers of plasticard glued together for the hull that you cut and filed to shape?  If so, what thickness of card did you use?

Jokes aside, I will say that I am jealous of your scratchbuilding ability.  I’ve tried some kitbashing and conversions, but have never had the courage to dive off into your end of the pool.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Thomaston
    Participant

@OldBen
    I’ve thought about doing giant robots many years ago and Khurasan minis had some nice potential designs. Their Mekanoids got my attention. Now that I’ve gone back after many years here’s a list of other stuff I’d use for giant robots.

15mm High-Tech Humans in Advanced Power Armour
    War Robots (the link doesn’t look like the sample image, a shame I really like these green ones)

Painting was very simple the grey ships had base color, wash and drybrush. Camo ships are pretty random and quite forgiving.

@Jack
    No worries, I’m pretty much done with everything I’ve been planning to make, so no more new stuff. Gaming time.
    Where are your WWII dogfights?

@brian Weathersby
    You give me too much credit. I’ve had to fix these a lot, note the big chunk of greenstuff on one destroyer.
    This is my first and for a long time will be my only attempt at this, I’ve been wanting to try it for a while after a friend told me about his scratch building 1/2400 ships.
    You should try it, I was going to do 1 or 2 to test but it was easier than I thought.
    I used 2 sheets, 1.5mm (the cruisers to the left) and 1mm for the hull.
    Light cruisers (second form left) had the hull filed down to about 1.2mm and the aft half filed down some more to make the forecastle. The rest of the ships use 1mm sheet. I thought I’d had to layer them but luckily 1mm sheets were enough for these, I did glue a 0.5mm sheet for the forecastle for most of them.
    I bought a pack of plasticard off cut a long time ago to make bases with.
    Investing in some plastic rods would have made my life a lot easier.

Life's too long.

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Portable games with minimal set up is the way to go.  You make it look so easy.

Just Jack
    Participant

“Portable games with minimal set up is the way to go.  You make it look so easy.”

Amen, and yes, he does. Very much so he makes it look easy.  I’m struggling with it right now…

“Where are your WWII dogfights?”

You cut me to the quick, Sir.  I’m trying, I really am; instead of working on them I painted for a couple hours on Saturday, but then yesterday I worked on the first fight for a couple hours, I’m about 35-40% done with it.  The first one.  Of seven…

It’s a real bastard; I’m playing relatively large (for me) dogfights, there are 16 aircraft on the table.  The games go pretty quick, little less than an hour, but that’s almost a thousand pictures for those seven games.  I’ve got to figure a better way…

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

Forgot to make cargo ships. Found a cute design I like from the internet.

Looks like I can’t do notes without spelling mistakes.

Life's too long.

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Well, now I can see how much work goes into those little ships.

Shouldn’t there be little crew members mulling around on deck? 😝

Thomaston
    Participant

You wanted crew.

Life's too long.

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Now you’re just showing off!

That destroyer looks awesome!  Cool stuff.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.