Home Forums WWII Daimler Armoured Car Front Armour

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Admin Test Account
    Participant

The author of this topic requested their account be deleted.

This topic has been kept by attributing the original post to an admin account, and replacing the initial wording by the now deleted user with this.
    To have deleted the topic in its entirety would also have deleted the replies of others, and it is not fair that their postings be effected.

– Mike.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mike.
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Tim:

Perhaps the Tanks Encyclopaedia folks are getting the frontal armour of the Daimler Armoured Car and the Daimler Scout Car mixed up. IIRC the frontal armour of the Daimler SC was heavy, about 30mm whereas the frontal armour of the Daimler Mk II AC was between 14 and 16mm. Not being able to peer into the minds of the Tank Encycopaedia writers, this is just speculation of course, but it still may merit some consideration.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Yes, as Rod says, they seem to be conflating the Scout Car with the Armoured Car.  the Daimler Scout Car’s armour was surprisingly thick.  I’ve taken a look at one in real life and estimated about an inch of plate – a lot more than the Armoured Car.  Same goes for the Ferret.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Jemima Fawr.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Yes, the Dingo and yes, it has remarkably thick armour.  One of the complaints about the replacement of Dingos with Humber Scout Cars in the Liaison Troops of Armoured Regiments was that the armour was nowhere near as thick on the Humber as it had been on the Dingo.

As mentioned above, the Dingo’s post-war replacement, the Ferret, had similarly thick armour when compared to other light AFVs.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Jemima Fawr.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Etranger
    Participant
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.