Home Forums Medieval Dark Age rules

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

As we’re selling the Ancestral Home (lived in for nearly 30 years), all my hobby stuff is packed away. Being at a loose end tonight, I spent a few hours tweaking my Dark Age Big Battle* set of rules. They focus on Late Romans & Saxons….with a bit of a nod at some sort of quasi-historical Arthurian feel.

They’re in dire need of some play testing but who knows when that will happen?

They’re quite simple & rather short & I wonder if anyone would care to look them over & maybe pass a comment or two (eg: “They’re rubbish. Don’t give up your day job”)?

Donald

• * for “Big Battle” read quite “small punch-up”.

Hi Donald,

The “Arthurian” period was my gateway to Ancients gaming!  I read a good deal about the era in general which somehow makes me an “expert”*. 😀

I’d be happy to give them a look-over and maybe get a game or two in.    My e-mail: jacar1965 AT gmail DOT com.

Looking forward to seeing what you have.

John

*read “former drip under pressure.”

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Participant

I can’t playtest any time soon but can give the rules a proof  read, if that is of any use.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Participant

Happy to proof read and playtest as I am just starting on Arthurians”

dbrown4ATbigponddotnetdotau will elicite a return email with attached rules.

Thanks for the help. It’s appreciated.

donald

A normal person would buy/write rules & then purchase figures to suit. That I did it the other way around probably says something about me.

It all began with the skirmish game, SAGA. I built Saxon &  Late Roman/Arthurian Briton warbands. I enjoyed painting the figures & added a few more figures to cover all possibilities. Before I knew it, I had 120 Saxons and 80 L.Romans. This is when I thought I should write a set of rules to use them all in a low scale (probably 1:1) battle.

I’ve used some bits of SAGA and a few notions of my own. The figures are divided into 12 or so units/mobs, mostly with designated Leaders that influence coherence & discipline to a degree. Weapons & armour (or, mostly, lack of) influence combat and each group’s Warlord has a band of bodyguards upon whom he can “deflect” combat hits. I’ve also included a Hero: a figure with enhanced ability to lead but also able to “duel” an enemy Hero in a fight to the death (a single dice throw). The L.Romans have a bit more coherence than the Saxons & about 50% are cavalry as opposed to the entirely Saxon foot to help balance the discrepancy in numbers. The basic situation is of the remnants of a trained army pitted against a less formal & larger “barbarian” enemy.

I have done a lot of calculation & quite a lot of what I call “drill”: small numbers pitted against each other to fathom the outcomes of missile combat or the use of a Shieldwall and so on. However, you never know until you’ve fought a number of games if you’ve addressed every contingency 7and if the game has some sort of balance. Not to mention if the game has an appropriate level of challenge & is even fun.

I’ll be pleased if the game “works” but at any rate, it’s a process that is quite enjoyable in itself.

donald

Participant

A normal person would buy/write rules & then purchase figures to suit.

I’m not normal either, I am happy to say.  I have usually decided on a period, bought some of the figures then started finding rules.  That said, in almost every case I ended up writing my own rules and a few times altering a commercial or free set to suit.

I cannot remember a time when I bought a set of rules then looked for figures.  The inspiration often came from a book, a film, a bit of history, a magazine article and occasionally a game at a wargame show.  I cannot say that any have come from inspiration on the web.  Though I have used the web after deciding to get colour schemes, ideas for terrain etc.

A normal person would buy/write rules & then purchase figures to suit.

I’m not normal either,.

Participant

Read the rules through three times then sent some comments and asked for some clarifications.

They are nicely and logically written though I am not sure that my granchildren will take to throwing a “1” is better than throwing a “20”.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.