Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Darkness descends…

Tagged: 

This topic contains 35 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Hawk6L4 Hawk6L4 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

I started work on a big box of (mostly) 8 wheelers from Darkest Star, aimed at a Slammers force. The bodies of the vehicles – almost all of which (save the odd gunbarrel and turret) are in resin and need almost no work – were a breeze. Sure the odd axle hole needed drilling out with my Dremel and the tiniest degree of flash on some of the complex moulded turrets but: nothing really. Maybe twenty minutes, tops.

The wheels… ahhhh: that was a different thing. Not because they were badly moulded: not at all. Each one had maybe a couple of whisps of vent metal on them: the sort of sprue I’d expect on any white metal casting. It’s just there were over 170 of them…

Bare wheels

Out came the trusty Leatherman Charge and the coarse file on it made ‘short work’ of the flash but not a short job: two hours later they, along with a couple of the hover skirts, got their first coat of grey primer and I went to the sink to wash the ‘lead’ dust from my fingers.

Primed

Christ that’s a lot of wheels….

I will be assembling the hulls and turrets over the coming weeks while I’m pondering paint schemes so I’ll keep you all informed!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ya… this is why I will not being doing many things with more than 4 wheels in the future!  However, you now do have endless opportunity to practice various weathering and “dirtying up” techniques!

Thanks for posting, really looking forwards to what you come up with!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

cmnash
    Participant

I knew there was a reason I had a bunch of hovertanks! 

Will follow with interest

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

Ta

I’ve bought a multi-size, plastic circle template thing from Amazon (the sort I used to use in geometry) that I intend to airbrush through to do the wheel centres. So hopefully that’ll help…

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

So how goes it?  Did the insanity prevail and send you gibbering into the wilderness?

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

I have them finished. More will be revealed soon but the torture is over and I’ve not been broken by the wheel!

Here’s a few shots but – as soon as I have access to the Slammers website (laptop with certain software is in for repair) I’ll do more (though I have done a play sheet for them).

Clarks Commandos Infantry

Clarks Commandos heavy assault Python and Cobra

Clarks Commandos Infantry combat vehicles

Clarks Commandos infantry close up

Clarks Commandos Sniper

Clarks Commandos meet the Slammers

Clarks Commandos command tank

Clarks Commandos Three detachments

The unit is finished as a dedication for Jim Clark – a mate and avid Slammers gamer – who died recently: this seemed a perfect opportunity to use the nice vehicles Darkest Star sent me and I’m quite pleased with the results.

The wheels… well maybe my masking could have been more accurate, but the rest – airbrushing a green pattern over an Army Painter Primer (Skeleton Bone), edge highlighting, future/black-ink dip, and then weathering with the airbrush and various washes – worked out reasonably well, I think. Certainly better than my last efforts with the Zaporoskiye Brigade where I over did the Army Painter Dip.

The Federation infantry were – again – spray primered and dipped (this time using a thinned Army Painter Dip) and detailed with various colours including Tamiya clear paints. Decals for Clark’s Commandos were home printed onto clear decal paper.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

cmnash
    Participant

They look splendid John and (imo) seem a fitting tribute to your friend

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

logo

Well, as I said I would, the new force is up on the Slammers website.

This is Clark’s Commandos and – as I went to Jim Clark’s funeral service yesterday, I feel really privilaged to have been able to do this.

Every time I get them out of the table (hopefully pitched against one of Jim’s legacy Slammers forces which carry on without him) I will think of him.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Fantastic looking force!  They really came out splendidly.  I love the look of the AAA turrets on the Scorpion chassis.  Going to make a section for just purchasing turrets for kitbashers now so people can mix and match on the fly!

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Wow, that’s quite the force there!

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

Thank you all. I got a real slice of joy doing them.

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

Hi JT !  L4 here !  Has been awhile since I saw your work !!!!!     Absolutely Outstanding as usual !!!!    I see Brigade is doing more 6mm Slammer Mercs !  I may have to get some of those new 1/2Tracks, IIRC or the Thunderbolt Panzer Div. !   Again wonderful stuff  as always !!!!  

"Cry Havoc ! And let slip the dogs of war !"

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

Hi L4 – good to see you here. And thanks for the thanks!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

You are the Man, John !!!!    My 6mm Slammer TF here is based on all your guidance and Drake’s Slammer-verse !  

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Very pretty! I have been drooling over those Darkest Star vehicles for ages, wanting to pair them up with O8’s New Vistula Legion infantry, but I will probably never pull the trigger. I just have no space for the macroscales!

By the way, if you’d done a Slammers force in 3mm, you’d have finished an entire regiment in the time it took you to do half those wheels. And you could play a battle on your desktop. And it would only cost you 20 pounds for the entire regiment at 1:1 scale. 😀

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

You know TB, we have them in 6mm too… 

Northern Monkey
    Northern Monkey
    Participant

You are the Man, John !!!! My 6mm Slammer TF here is based on all your guidance and Drake’s Slammer-verse !

Where are those infantry from L4? CinC?

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr. Average
    Participant

I do not lie when I say I envy people who can manage 15mm figures.  I just never got the hang of them.  But damn if that isn’t a beautiful setup there!

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

Those are GZG NAC and so are the skimmers …

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

Close ups pf mine … 

Northern Monkey
    Northern Monkey
    Participant

Thanks, I knew I had seen them before but couldn’t place them, nice paint work by the way.

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

You know TB, we have them in 6mm too…

Yeah, but except for Napoleonics, I don’t do the macro scales. : D

The real problem is that there is no reason for me to play 6mm sci-fi, unless I was going to skirmish. And the problem with THAT is I can”t find an infantry force in 6mm that I like as much as the New Vistula Legion.

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

L4 – as I’ve said before – that’s an insane amount of detail on 6mm figures. The Slammers decals on the weapons is just bonkers…

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

3mm not-Slammers force. This cost me about $2,50.

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

Thank U !  Here’s a pic of my 6mm GZG NAC/Slammer Skimmer Infantry …  close up …

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

Very Nice  Thaddus  !!!!    Especially for 3mm  !  

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Hawk6L4 Hawk6L4.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Love me some O8!  I have tons of their stuff for air war and Vietnam.

What do you say John, a Crucible conversion for 3mm-6mm?

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

huh, could have sworn this was the 15mm sci-fi forum…

😉

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

Well I was never very good at math … And all have is 6mm ! 

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

Very sorry to hear that John … may he RIP …

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Nyah, nyah, nyah! Mine’s smaller than yours! : D

No, seriously, you could probably do The Crucible easily in 3mm, as is, by dividing all measurements by five.

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

That makes sense and should be an easy fix …

John Treadaway
    John Treadaway
    Participant

I’d just use the 6mm sheets for 3mm and not bother changing anything. We regularly use the 15mm sheets for the 6mm games with no ill effect whatsoever

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com

Hawk6L4
    Hawk6L4
    Participant

One good thing about 6 or 3mm … the ranges are generally more “accurate”, IMO …

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.