Home Forums General Books and Magazines Dave Rowland's "The Stress of Battle"

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Russell Phillips Russell Phillips 5 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

John Curry has just announced that the History of Wargaming project is re-publishing Dave Rowland’s “The Stress of Battle”, a superbly informative work summarizing the historical analysis work done at the Defence Operational Analysis Establishment and its successors. Anyone writing wargames rules for WW2 or the modern period is sure to find something useful here on combat effectiveness at the tactical level in as “hard” numbers as anyone has yet collected. I cannot recommend the book too highly; in my opinion it is indispensable to an understanding of how the modern tactical battlefield works. It is a mystery to me why the original publishers, The Stationery Office (formerly HMSO), never produced a second edition. A check on Amazon reveals no copies available in the US, and one second-hand copy in the UK for which the owner is asking £175. Now everyone can get a copy at a non-silly price.

I have no business connection with the History of Wargaming project, but John Curry is a personal friend, and I applaud his continuing efforts to bring otherwise-unobtainable books back into circulation for the wargaming public.

All the best,

John.

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

You just beat me to it John, I was about to post the very same thing. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in twentieth century or operations research in general. There isn’t any scary maths, but there are lots of statistic which are instantly translatable into meaningful things on the tabletop.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Russell Phillips
    Russell Phillips
    Participant

Do you know when it will be published?

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

Do you know when it will be published?

It is listed now: http://www.wargaming.co/professional/home.htm

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Russell Phillips
    Russell Phillips
    Participant

It is listed now: http://www.wargaming.co/professional/home.htm

So it is! I did a search for it, but for some reason didn’t think to look on the History of Wargaming Project website. Thanks, Martin.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.