Home Forums WWII Death of the Tyneside Scottish I – A Nuts! Scenario

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please see here for a Nuts! scenario featuring the ill-fated encounter between 1st Tyneside Scottish and the 8th Panzer Division on the 20th May 1940…

Participant

Ouch, I had hopes that more of the unit would be able to escape, but being outgunned has serious consequences.  Very interesting that it played out so close to the historical!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Yes, I was a little surprised too.  A full scale recreation is definitely on the cards, although still a way off (next year, insha’allah): I wonder how closely that will play out!

Participant

So, that’s what you’re getting up to in 15mm WWII!  I dig it, glad to see it!  I really like the table; I’m still in love with your mat, and the buildings and fields are very cool, as well.  Gotta love the PSC 15mm troops, too, very nice.  The first thing I thought was, “wow, that’s a lot of dudes to be using with NUTS!”

Man, I was pretty hopeful early on when the adjutant and RSM managed to pick off some of the Germans in the MG crew, some pretty fancy shooting!  I even thought the Scots might try and just take the ville, open up a corridor for their comrades to escape.  How much do you figure it might have helped if the Bn leadership stayed on the table to help motivate the troops, get/keep them moving, or was that even an option?

Certainly an interesting scenario, I look forward to the next one.

V/R,
    Jack

Get a grip that man…

“The German MG42 team.”

It’s 1940 old chap, great story though!

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Participant

Get a grip that man… “The German MG42 team.”

Whoops!!!! Sorry ab0ut that…

How much do you figure it might have helped if the Bn leadership stayed on the table to help motivate the troops, get/keep them moving, or was that even an option?

It would have helped definitely and I think for real, the CO would definitely, definitely have stayed in that situation, there is no question.  The reason I took that option is that I wanted him alive and free for the next scenario… (IRL the action was bigger, so there was a company plus of the Tyneside Scottish here and so you can think of the CO going to the next platoon and working around the flank…)

Participant

John,

Gotcha man, force preservation, or, in this case, leadership preservation, is as good a reason as any!  That’s the beauty of campaigns, right?  Gotta think about the next fight, which I’m anxiously awaiting!

And now that I finally understand what your signature block picture is, I have to ask: what is your connection to the Tyneside Scottish?  And my humble apologies if you’ve addressed it previously and I forgot or missed it.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

what is your connection to the Tyneside Scottish? And my humble apologies if you’ve addressed it previously and I forgot or missed it.

I don’t think I have ever mentioned it.  My great-great grandfather was in it and was killed on the Somme, as was another relative.

Participant

Now that’s very interesting, John, thank you for sharing.

And hurry up with the next one! 😉  I’m eagerly waiting to see if your gambit of getting the battalion leadership to safety in the first fight is going to pay off in the second.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.