Home Forums General General Decorative Dinosaurs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sane Max
    Participant

Hiya, after a fun Zoom Game of Dragon Rampant last week in which one side was represented entirely by Plastic Toy Dinosaurs, I felt the urge to get some of my own to add to my Swamp-Lizard 20mm force. Three classics – Triceratops, Pterodactyl and of Course a Rex, along with a (ridiculously out of scale) Velociraptor and another one I have no idea about off the top of my head.

I will not be doing a bang-up job – no stripping,  I cannot think of a stripper that would touch the inch-thick plastic paint without also damaging the soft plastic – just a light prime and then lots of highlighting.

The Dinosaurs of my youth were greens, browns – Ray Harryhausen colours. These however  are painted in what I can only assume is ‘Dinosaur Mating Plumage’ – bright, almost garish colours and lots of patterns. That seems to be what the kids want these days, but I am not standing for it. Proper Dinosaurs look Dark and threatening, not like they just came back from a rather enthusiastic Pet Grooming Service.

I am fairly sure I will be sticking to that decision (It’s a damn sight easier, too) but are the bright modern Dinsoaur colours ‘right’ ? I am aware that SOME dinosaurs were colourful – but is that ‘assumed’ to be the case for all of the blighters, or is it just The Fashion?

Geof Downton
    Participant

The dinosaurs of my youth were, as yours, rather dull in colour – odd considering the appearance of many reptiles. When I was researching dino colours a while ago I came upon this, but settled on taking inspiration from  today’s birds and reptiles – one day I’ll finish them…

Most importantly, nobody can prove either of us wrong!

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Sane Max
    Participant

Most importantly, nobody can prove either of us wrong!

That’s all I wanted to check. Am I dooming myself to pitying looks from Paleontologists?

(i WILL be putting black ‘Arnie in Conan’ stripes on my Carnosaur cos they look Kewlllll.)

Geof Downton
    Participant

Am I dooming myself to pitying looks from Paleontologists?

Probably not – as far as I can tell dino nerds and toy soldier nerds are all unreconstructed weirdos, and many probably do both. The only palaeontologist I have known was an obsessive D&D player.

(i WILL be putting black ‘Arnie in Conan’ stripes on my Carnosaur cos they look Kewlllll.)

…and so you should – I’m doing something very similar with my Allosaurs.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

John D Salt
    Participant

I am fairly sure I will be sticking to that decision (It’s a damn sight easier, too) but are the bright modern Dinsoaur colours ‘right’ ? I am aware that SOME dinosaurs were colourful – but is that ‘assumed’ to be the case for all of the blighters, or is it just The Fashion?

I think the difference is because when you and I were sproglets, back in the Paleowilsonian Era, dinosaurs weren’t known to have feathers. Since flowers had already invented bright colours for purposes of sexual attraction by the time the dinos came along, I’m sure they could have done the same. Then again, if you want to either sneak up on lunch or avoid being lunch, there’s the question of camouflage, even though we weren’t to borrow the word from the French for a couple of hundred million years. You can always use that to justify dullness, or I suppose dazzle patterns.

Probably not – as far as I can tell dino nerds and toy soldier nerds are all unreconstructed weirdos, and many probably do both. The only palaeontologist I have known was an obsessive D&D player.

Hey — any academic discipline that adopts “the thagomizer” from a Gary Larson cartoon is one I want to go drinking with.

All the best,

John.

Phil Dutré
    Participant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur_coloration

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Sane Max
    Participant

Thanks Phil… I did glance at that very page but thought it a bit TLDR plus it threatened to contradict my basic prejudices 🙂 . I am going with the look I like and remember.

For £2 a pop plastic toys they are turning our rather well. sadly two of them, the Raptor and Dilophosaur are simply way too large, but the Triceratops and Tyranosaur have turned out nicely. The Pterasaur is a bit flimsy, I am worried about paint flaking, but heck, not a big loss if it doesn’t work out.

Patrice
    Participant

Interesting thread (how I had missed it?) thank you. 🙂

Well, back on work on my ankylosaurus and his Goblin rider, then.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.