Home Forums WWII Defence Line – Battlegroup Tobruk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This weekends game was a scrap between the British and Italians in our ongoing North Africa campaign. Quite an interesting one as it ended up with a very mobile British tank and carrier force having to do a job for which it was not ideally suited – Digging Italian infantry out of a small village! But such is the nature of war, that sometimes a commander has to make do with whats at hand…

British armoured forces push into an Italian held village and suffer a disastrous ambush at the outset, losing several tanks to accurate direct artillery fire. A very lucky Italian 100mm Howitzer crew performing sterling work knocking out the two lead Vickers light tanks and stalling the British advance till the rest of the column moved up. However under cover of the rising dust the British managed to outflank the village and knocking out one gun position after another made some progress… But true to form, the Italian gunners refused to leave their guns and each on had to be eliminated to a man! It further slowed the British attack and allowed time for the Italian reinforcements to move up.

For the British, this late surge through the swirling dust storm, wasn’t enough, and as losses mounted and units became pinned down, the attack broke up and was finally forced to retire. But a very close game, with both armies close to breaking point at the end. Good fun game, with both sides under pressure at different times and neither side knowing exactly how badly off the other was… The British player was suitably surprised after withdrawing to see how close the Italians had been to capitulating!

Participant

That’s a great looking table Piers!  One of these days I need to pick up one of the Battlegroup books, the games sound like a good time and satisfying results.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Lovely and a battlefield full of character as always.

Participant

Cheers chaps!

Was a fun game that one, between two of my playtest team. Looked like the British had lost the game on Turn 1 when two lucky shots took out a tank each, and then it swung back round and the Italians took a hammering as the dust clouds blown up by the vehicles screened the British advance and reduced visibility… But in the end the Italians clung on and caused enough losses for the British to bust their Battle Rating and withdraw, only to find out the Italians had a single point of theirs remaining…

One of the joys of Battlegroup is never knowing the true state of the enemy forces resilience to keep up the fight.

Participant

Really like that the dust clouds work in that way.  Did you use markers of some sort, or a general modifier as it would be so wide spread?

Participant

The ‘dust clouds’ are one of the special environment rules in the new Tobruk book.

They work as a modifier to spotting and allow you to make use of the clouds of dust as a further obscurant on the battlefield to Aimed Fire. So while the AT guns wanted to use Aimed Fire to hit the tanks, the advancing tanks in the dust were able to use their MGs to conduct Suppressing Fire, which has no spotting test, so no penalty from the dust, and pin down the enemy guns.

Participant

Nice, I like that!  Thanks for the answers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.