Home Forums General Tabletop RPG’s Demons Gate – Sellswords and Spellslingers Campaign

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Gunnar, Eldarondo, Sir Robin and Brother Christos were sitting in the Temple refectory, nursing their tankards of ale. Eduardo (the Magnificent) sat slightly apart, avidly reading a scroll.
    “It’s really time we moved on.” Gunnar muttered. “These monks have had enough of us, I know I’ve had enough of them.”
    “Fine, but where can we go?” Eldarondo replied. “We’re broke, we need money.”
    “We are broke because Eddie spent all our money on that scroll.” Sir Robin pointed out, helpfully.
    Eduardo looked up at the mention of his name.
    “I can make you fly, fly like a bird!” he said happily.
    “Let’s face it, we need a job!” Christos announced, pointedly ignoring Eddie.
    “You’ve been listening to the Ranger.” Gunnar grumbled. “Anyway, where is he?”
    Suddenly the door flew open and Sintamo rushed in. He rapidly crossed to the table and sat down, clutching a letter.
    “Comrades,” he announced “I’ve found us a job. Paid work!”

The first chapter in our new Sellswords and Spellslingers campaign is now on the blog https://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2019/10/demons-gate-sellswords-campaign-chapter.html

Participant

Excellent report, Graham. Looks like loads of fun.

You know, I’d love to hear what your thoughts are on S&S. As most of my games are solo these days, I picked up both it and Rangers of Shadow Deep. I tried S&S several times and found it really fell flat for me – the monsters just seemed to stand around, or one would move while the others didn’t, etc. RoSD, on the other hand, has worked very well. I’m growing quite fond of it. Not trying to change your mind, of course, but since these are the two big cooperative games out there right now, I’m always curious to hear what people’s experiences are.

Thanks again for sharing your report!

Participant

Interesting, I’ve seldom found a game of S&S where the monsters didn’t move and the PC’s just walked it. In fact I can only think of one game where that happened out of the 30-40 games I’ve played. Luck of the draw, I guess. Usually I found the opposite, the PCs got swamped, particularly when playing with a starting level party.

I am very taken with S&S for two main reasons.

Firstly, this particular party play like an old-style D&D game. Very reminiscent of role-playing adventures in my youth, but with out all the manuals and charts.

Secondly, it is so adaptable, it is quite easy to create new monsters and to write scenarios for it. It is also easy to tweak to fit different backgrounds, for example I played a mini campaign set in Middle Earth and have produced a VSF version.

I can’t really compare to RotSD, because I don’t have a copy. I do play regular games of Frostgrave, so I like the mechanisms it uses.

Participant

Well, reading what you say makes me wonder if I shouldn’t give S&S another go. I love flexibility and, like you, have very fond memories of old D&D sessions. Maybe I just had poor luck with card draws…

Having said that, I’d highly recommend you give RoSD a look, if only for some inspiration and some excellent scenario ideas, all of which could be ported over to S&S with little or no trouble. The fluff has some nice atmosphere, too – a medley of Tolkien’s Rangers protecting the Shire, with some Warhammer and a touch of Black Hawk Down for good measure.

Not that I plan to use it, mind. I’m actually working on doing Conan and Hyboria with the system, and I think it will work quite well, with a little tweaking. S&S would probably work as well. Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack your post. Thanks again for sharing your game. I hope very much that you’ll do so again in the future!

Participant

Scanning the square before them, Sintamo murmured “Watch out, there’s about 8 armed men hiding behind the stalls.”
    “Ten, actually” whispered Eldarondo in reply.
    Sintamo looks at him and raises an eyebrow.
    “Elf eyes!”
    “Are you sure they’re not just traders, setting up their stalls?” whispered Gunnar, “Like that woman over there.”
    Looking at where he was pointing, they could see the figure of a townswoman move down the street.
    “Mind you she’s walking a bit funny, is she drunk?”
    “Not so much walking, as shambling.” The elf pointed out.
    “Yes…” Sintamo agreed “…you mean sort of, mindlessly wanting to eat your brains, shambling?”
    “Yep, that’s it!”

Our second game is up on the blog now! http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2019/10/demons-gate-sellswords-campaign-chapter_17.html

Participant

Excellent stories, thanks! I like this kind of games.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

What a great AAR! Thank you for sharing!

Participant
    Participant

Thanks, you battle reports are a real inspiration. I’ve only played the scenarios from the rules and they are great,but I’m keen to try your one out as well..

My 6mm Wargaming site https://6mm.wargaming.info

Participant
    Participant
    Participant

The fireballs are cool!

Participant

The fireballs are cool!

Thanks very much!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.