Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Desert Playing Mat (UK)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I am after one that is about 3×3 of 4×3 feet.

Who has one they can share images of and let me know about the quality / service received.

TIA

Participant

If Cigar Box Battles has a UK outlet they top my list. Tiny Wargames makes a great quality mat as well, service was great and speed pretty good (and I’m in the States so I can only imagine your experience will be faster).

Participant

Geek Villain are very good in every respect, product, price, service and durability.  I cannot oblige with pic’s as my desert mat is still in its bag.  Suffice to say I have bought 3 of their mats having seen their advert here on Wargames Website.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

I use a sand coloured dust sheet for my desert games Mile, with lay on sand dunes, hills and the like.   A 10 x 10 foot sheet cost about £10.   I can’t find my desert photo’s at the moment but when I find them I will post.

Keymaster

Regular dust sheet?

Any pics, bit worried about the material and lines.

Participant

I have several 6×4 mats from both Tiny Wargames and Geek Villain. Have nothing but good things to say about both.

Am about to order a gridded mat for “Strength and Honour” and “For King & Parliament”. Whichever company I choose I will feel slightly disloyal to the other 🙂

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Keymaster

6 x 4 would be way bigger than I need tbh and the money could saved could be spent on moar models.

😀

Participant

Fortunately, Mike, these days I have the cash, space and time to deploy both 6×4 mats and the moar figures to go on them 🙂

My income is barely half what it was when I was working but my outgoings are only about a third. The result? Channelling my inner Mr. Micawber …. happiness!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Mike

im extremely happy with my Urban Matz one.  I use it for historical Libyan desert or American Southwest adventures as well as for SF offworld scenarios.  Comes in various sizes:

https://www.urbanmatz.com/p/220/desert-3×3

https://www.urbanmatz.com/p/297/desert-6×3

I imagine it could also be used for Australian Outback post apocalyptic scenarios like Mad Max.

Hope this helps.

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Participant
    Keymaster
    Participant

Sorry Mike I can’t find any on this computer of the mat in use I will flash up the old computer later and hunt them down.

Keymaster

Crumbs, don’t do that, it is not that important.
    Thanks for the offer though.

Participant

Crumbs, don’t do that, it is not that important. Thanks for the offer though.

No worries Mike I have to do it as some how I cleared all my photo references and photo’s from my photo box.   Luckily the vast majority are on the old lap top.

Participant

Geek Villain and Deep Cut make fine products and deliver – especially the latter – exactly what you can custom order if necessary. My Custom mats from Deep Cut have been outstanding

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    Participant

Here you go Mike, found the photo’s.  From a game I ran 2012.

Keymaster

Cheers dude!

Participant

I have a green sheet I made decades ago. I suggest getting some rattle can paints and just making patches, lines or crescents of colour to break up the sameness. Dark brown, red primer, black or dark grey, khaki and even some blue or green would work. I have a very large drop cloth I picked up to actually use as a drop cloth. Can be cut in two to make a couple sheets big enough for my 5′ x 9′ ping pong table.

Participant

OBTW the loose gravel like material i0n the dust cloth is cat litter (unused).

Participant

Reets Relish is a wool blend that gets a lot of use for wargaming. The texture and colors really nail Northern European/American ground cover. When I was buying some I was really tempted by some other wool blends (Sand and Beach were two).  The blend of material textures and absorption of dye creates some great natural variation that I think looks really good for wargaming.

Participant

I took Willz advice and bought a dust cloth from Wickes. Looks good, here’s some pics of it in use during our first game of Outremer: Faith and Blood.

Participant

Very nice looking, the dust cloths work very well and are cost effective.  I am glad I was able to help😎.

Participant

Thank you for a great idea Willz. I bought a 12 x 8? one (my table, when its clear, is 8 x 6 and I didn’t want a join) it’s quite heavy!  I did think of ironing it to flatten out any bits of fold or creases but decided to leave them in as “natural” undulations etc..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.