Home Forums General General Detritus

• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by willz.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

I can’t be doing with drinks, snacks, tape measures or any of that jazz sitting on my actual gaming surface.
    Next to it yes, but not on it.

That is all.

🙂

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

A gamer friend of mine referred to this category of stuff as “gaming impedimenta”.

I think this stuff is especially a scourge for naval and air gaming, since those (plus mech games) tend to have a lot of charts that, regardless of the number of side tables or clip boards you make available, will end up on the gaming table, orbiting the main battle area in a hideous constellation of paper.

Mike
    Keymaster

“gaming impedimenta”.

This wins.

darthfozzywig
    Participant

That coke can not only is out of scale on my terrain, I’m going to lose my mind when it gets knocked over on my stuff.

Patrice
    Participant

Drinks and snacks should be kept away.

I have no problem with tape measures and dice, they are moved so often that they don’t stay at the same place for long.

I HATE markers (morale, casualties, etc) which don’t blend well in the gaming terrain.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Mike Headden
    Participant

A game played without a goodly selection of dice, tapes, QRF sheets, digital cameras, coke and beer cans, snack wrappers (full and empty) and other “impedimenta” is barely worth playing, IMHO.

Also “I HATE markers (morale, casualties, etc) which don’t blend well in the gaming terrain.” … WHUT!? Markers need to be visible and identifiable from anywhere round the table …. or, better still, from space!! I loathe markers that leave me thinking,”Is that an indication the unit is disordered, or that it is out of ammo or is that just a bit of terrain clutter that’s been accidentally dragged round with that unit for the last three turns?”

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

McKinstry
    Participant

I usually end up with a compromise. When gaming at home I set up side tables for all the excess although dice and tapes in particular seem inevitable. Playing at the shop where a single allocated table is all the room available and more clutter is inevitable.

Snacks,  soda, beer etc. – never.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

irishserb
    Participant

Decades ago, a few of the guys decided to order a pizza from Pizza Hut, during a game at my house.  I must have been in the bathroom or maybe went to get drinks, when the pizza was delivered. But when I came back to the game, the pizza had been set on the corner of the game table, rather than one of the TV trays that I had for food and drink.  After a few minutes, the pizza was moved  on to a TV trays, and a 16″ diameter circle of dark wet grease spanned four 12″ foam terrain tiles.  I just laughed and took it in stride, but everybody was pretty careful after that, regarding food or drink on the game table.  the terrain tiles were tossed in the trash.

I’m another of those that tends to find cardboard or paper markers to be invasive on the miniatures table.  We’ve never played rules that demanded much of that, and have gravitated toward using some sort of 3-D indication or just remembering applicable conditions to troops.

PatG
    Participant

Side tables for stuff whenever possible.  I am ok with markers though. A longer term project is to make up ambulances for various periods into which players can put any rifles, muskets spears or other bits that get knocked off of figures during a game.

Les Hammond
    Participant

Image link not working. never mind…it’s here anyway:

Various periods, a selection of shows, excellent terrain and figures.

Posted by Les Hammond on Sunday, 21 May 2017

Maybe not. Oh well, I quit.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Les Hammond. Reason: [sigh]
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by Les Hammond.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by Les Hammond.

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

Mike
    Keymaster

Image link not working. never mind…it’s here anyway: Maybe not. Oh well, I quit.

This one?

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

The teddy at the end seems to be looking sadly at the playing surface.  Probably related to it.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Food and drink never, ever, on the gaming table. Tape, die etc as required during the game, but generally off table as much as possible due to lack of space. Most books, QRFs etc are kept on spare chairs next to the table.

Les Hammond
    Participant

Image link not working. never mind…it’s here anyway: Maybe not. Oh well, I quit.

This one?

Yes! How did you do that? The link text wasn’t even appearing in my post…

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

Mike
    Keymaster

I am subscribed to the topic so I got an e-mail which had the link in it before you did an edit and removed it.
    However the link was not to the image but rather a page with the image in it.
    So I saw the image and right clicked it to get the actual image URL and hey presto.

Deuce
    Participant

A gamer friend of mine referred to this category of stuff as “gaming impedimenta”. I think this stuff is especially a scourge for naval and air gaming, since those (plus mech games) tend to have a lot of charts that, regardless of the number of side tables or clip boards you make available, will end up on the gaming table, orbiting the main battle area in a hideous constellation of paper.

The first wargame I owned was the old GW naval game, Man O’War. I have very fond memories of the game (although the models were jawdroppingly expensive even by GW standards, in retrospect), but indelibly inked on my memory is the vast swathe of surface taken up by the templates necessary to play. Usually they would occupy at least as much space as the gaming area itself. Of course, they all had to be laid out flat, and separately, as counters would sit on top of them to indicate crew complement, damage, etc.

What is it about naval games that causes this? Even relatively simple sets seem to have a lot of paperwork associated with them; rather moreso than terrestrial battles, whether skirmish or unit-based.

John D Salt
    Participant

What is it about naval games that causes this? Even relatively simple sets seem to have a lot of paperwork associated with them; rather moreso than terrestrial battles, whether skirmish or unit-based.

I blame Fletcher Pratt.

All the best,

John.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I game solo for the most part, so I haven’t got the problem with fellow gamers of a different opinion, but I have to agree that snacks/drinks have no room on the table. I play with some counters and quite often a tape measure on the gaming surface but that’s all that I’ll allow.

willz
    Participant

I am not a fan of detritus on the gaming table, causality markers etc are fine but food and drink is a no no.  However an idea has just struck me, edible gaming boards and accoutrements.  Though I do not think it would be popular with Jamie Oliver too much sugar, on the plus side not much terrain to take home after a show, down side baking and making new terrain will eat up figure painting time.

So I will put this idea down as a very poor business idea.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.